Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:17 PM

150 posts, read 415,762 times

Advertisements

Any recommended travel crates/pet carrier for a 65lb lab? What was your crate of choice? Biggest question: Some have easily detachable wheel kits to buy, would that help when the dog is in the crate and we're trying to make our way through airports without being able to take the dog out?
Thanks for any opinions,
Janet

Last edited by NandVsMom; 12-02-2009 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 10:03 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
At what airports (or which airlines) would you be allowed to get your (large) dog and take it through the airport to another carrier or terminal?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM

No, I meant just carry it out of the airport. I imagine you're at baggage claim to get your other bags with dog in tow too. Aiport doesn't allow us to take the dog out of the crate and leash him to get out to the car. You have to put the whole crate in the car with the dog inside. I just don't know how one manages that with a big dog. : [

Old 12-03-2009, 08:37 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,143 times
from my understanding you can use there carts to get you crate to your can . I would pull up the cat to the loading zone

Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NandVsMom View Post
No, I meant just carry it out of the airport. I imagine you're at baggage claim to get your other bags with dog in tow too. Aiport doesn't allow us to take the dog out of the crate and leash him to get out to the car. You have to put the whole crate in the car with the dog inside. I just don't know how one manages that with a big dog. : [
Use a cart if provided otherwise you a skycap. Wheels on a crate will just become damaged and will just jack up the crate cost.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
In Honolulu, get off the plane, get your bags, get and load your car, go to quarantine and pick up the dog with the car.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Got it. Thanks so much. I've seen folks with their pets being picked up at oversize baggage claim but that's not in HI! We're actually landing at Kahului but we'll do the same there; get our bags, get the car, then go to pick up the pooch. Thanks again.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:31 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Since this is a neighboring island release, also contact the Vet doing the inspection and ask them for their recommendations. They can tell you their procedures. It also helps if they know your not running from the plane top meet them but have to pick up the car. They will also tell you where to meet them so you can park where you need to pickup the animal.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 PM

91 posts, read 279,188 times
I sent my 75 lb lab/shepherd mix in a Extra Large Petmate Vari-Kennel Ultra. It's made of sturdier plastic, so it might cost you more on the weight. But I felt safer. I then replaced the plastic wing nuts with the metal nuts and bolts from dryfur.com. And used their kit to put all the necessary stickers, etc. And I love their lipped water bowls.

I really like that crate. He does too! He still uses it as a 'den'.

I used a Giant SkyKennel for my other dog who is about 80 lbs and much taller. It worked, and since it was the only choice for his size, I was happy. But I found the Vari-Kennel Ultra to be more worth the money. It just feels safer, less flimsy.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 PM

91 posts, read 279,188 times
Oh, and I forgot about the wheels. I looked into the kits, but with so many other expenses, I chose against them. We had no problems getting flat bed dollies at the airport when we left, and at HNL, we picked them up right at the door, so no need. I'm so glad I didn't spend the money on a wheel kit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii