Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,200 times

Advertisements

I am an RN that is moving to the Big Island in 9/10. I have 2 100# Labs that will be shipped to Honolulu in early 11/10. They've already had all the preliminary lab work, exams, micro-chips, etc done. My vet told me that all they need now will be the exam w/in a week of their departure, in order to receive their final health certificate & application of Frontline. I have family in Kona, but they don't want the hassle of pet ownership so they can't advise me about a couple of things: I will have to travel to HNL from the BI, in order to meet their flight from Alaska, make sure they get to the quarantine site, & then to wherever we load up on a puddle jumper back to the BI. How is the best way for me to ensure that this happens as smoothly as possible? Rent a cargo van or taxi-van? (I will try to book them on a flt that arrives early in the work day). What is a ball park figure should I expect? And what is my best prospects in seeking a rental that will accept them? I make $50-60K a year, but am willing to live in a shack for my dogs' sake. I'm willing to pay up to $1K per dog for a pet security deposit. They're 5 & 10 years old, spayed & neutered, well-mannered, & worth every cent I have to cough up to keep them w/ me. Any advice that I receive will be greatly appreciated...I love HI, but will give up my prospects of living there if I can't bring my dogs. My ex used to call me CDL (Crazy Dog Lady), but they're the greatest comfort in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshell View Post
I am an RN that is moving to the Big Island in 9/10. I have 2 100# Labs that will be shipped to Honolulu in early 11/10. They've already had all the preliminary lab work, exams, micro-chips, etc done. My vet told me that all they need now will be the exam w/in a week of their departure, in order to receive their final health certificate & application of Frontline. I have family in Kona, but they don't want the hassle of pet ownership so they can't advise me about a couple of things: I will have to travel to HNL from the BI, in order to meet their flight from Alaska, make sure they get to the quarantine site, & then to wherever we load up on a puddle jumper back to the BI. How is the best way for me to ensure that this happens as smoothly as possible? Rent a cargo van or taxi-van? (I will try to book them on a flt that arrives early in the work day). What is a ball park figure should I expect? And what is my best prospects in seeking a rental that will accept them? I make $50-60K a year, but am willing to live in a shack for my dogs' sake. I'm willing to pay up to $1K per dog for a pet security deposit. They're 5 & 10 years old, spayed & neutered, well-mannered, & worth every cent I have to cough up to keep them w/ me. Any advice that I receive will be greatly appreciated...I love HI, but will give up my prospects of living there if I can't bring my dogs. My ex used to call me CDL (Crazy Dog Lady), but they're the greatest comfort in my life.
Aloha
Im not sure of the flight price from AK to HNL then off to the BI . Couple of questions and I know its late to look into these things but you migh want to try it could simplify your life.
1) To which airport are you coming into on the BI?
2) have you looked into a direct flight into Kona the vet here does a dirct release here?
I understand you might not be able to go from AK to Kona but you could go from like SFO to Kona .
If you fly your dog as baggage its cheaper than going cargo I do know the cargo flight from AK id pricey it might be cheaper to go to SFO than to go to HNL.
United flies pets baggage to Kona I did this this year with my 100Lb + dog with no problems at all.

Good luck

Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 PM

45 posts, read 130,427 times
Ak shell,
No problem, quarantine takes your pets from the bottom of their arrival plane and places them into the quarantine building. You do not see them until you go to quaranteen building. you need to show up there to finalize everything with them. Then you take the dogs to where you can let them go potty at a designated area by the post office. Then you get a cart to put them on and double deck them, strapping them on with rope or temporarily pitting two in one kennel at the quarantine or post office area only to avoid a fine or hire someone to walk with you for your second dog to the inner island terminal. There are professionals that you can pay to help you with pets in honolulu. Making sure you leave plenty of time in between flights.
As to rentals, check craigslist or the ads in Hilo or Kona newspaper and plead your case and offer extra money to them to accept them. It will all work out, you just have to be persistant. Check with quarantine by email for any questions, they will answer promptly.
Lucy
<I will have to travel to HNL from the BI, in order to meet their flight from Alaska, make sure they get to the quarantine site, & then to wherever we load up on a puddle jumper back to the BI. How is the best way for me to ensure that this happens as smoothly as possible? Rent a cargo van or taxi-van? (I will try to book them on a flt that arrives early in the work day). What is a ball park figure should I expect?>

Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 PM

155 posts, read 545,056 times

Old 11-02-2018, 10:22 AM

181 posts, read 176,395 times
Default Shipping a large dog to the Big Island

Old thread but wanted to bump it. We just closed escrow on our home on the Big Island. Aside from the household stuff and a couple of cars, we need to ship our 215# English Mastiff to the BI. anyone shipped a large dog recently? He's had his shots, still need to get his bloodwork done and obtain his Health Cert within 10 days of travel (which hasn't been determined yet.) With all the changes in airline policies, after all of the research, anyone care to share any insight?
Mahalo!

Old 11-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,167,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
Old thread but wanted to bump it. We just closed escrow on our home on the Big Island. Aside from the household stuff and a couple of cars, we need to ship our 215# English Mastiff to the BI. anyone shipped a large dog recently? He's had his shots, still need to get his bloodwork done and obtain his Health Cert within 10 days of travel (which hasn't been determined yet.) With all the changes in airline policies, after all of the research, anyone care to share any insight?
Mahalo!
Every airline has a bit different rules, you'll want to check with them directly. Some short muzzle or "aggressive " breeds have some pretty strict conditions. Also, spring through fall you have to watch temperatures as some airlines won't allow the pet to fly (or make connecting flights) when the temp at the airport exceeds their parameters. It's winter, so that shouldn't be an issue for you.
I will say, based on personal experience, be prepared for a mess on the Hawaii end. What I mean by that is that during our dogs flight (from Oakland, Ca.) Both had defecated in their kennels and one of the dogs decided to do some rolling in his. Was not fun to clean up when we arrived in Kona.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:07 AM

181 posts, read 176,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
What I mean by that is that during our dogs flight (from Oakland, Ca.) Both had defecated in their kennels and one of the dogs decided to do some rolling in his. Was not fun to clean up when we arrived in Kona.
Yuck! Well I think once he gets airborne he'll go right to sleep. I still have his bloodwork to get finished but he just injured his pad and he's on antibiotics to stave off an possible infection so that's going to wait for a couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii