Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:32 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
the reason its such a big deal and spoken about so often on the mainland is those who are on the receiving end of any discrimination are usually the whites who are so use to giving it out on the mainland and not receiving it, that when it happens to them (like they dish it out) they can't handle it and get upset and make it the worst thing on the face of the earth.

Nah, it's considered such a big deal because there in fact is a lot of racial problems in Hawaii, (although the majority of the people probably aren't racist). And I find your defense of the racism strange, because you imply that the all the white people who are discriminated against in Hawaii "dish it out" in the mainland.

But that's clearly not true. In fact, right now I live in a place where there are less than 1% white people. There is less racism against white people here than there is in Hawaii. And I can hardly be accused of "dishing out" and racism here. Yet I notice the racism in Hawaii.

So rather than defending Hawaii's racism, (and worse, blaming the victims of the racism), I wish people would just admit that it's not right, but it's one of the things they are working on. Most of the victims of the worst racism are children in school. I wish Hawaiians would spend less time trying to justify the racism, and more time trying to prevent it.

There's lots of great things about Hawaii. A lot of really awesome things. But there's some not so great things, too, and the problems don't effect everyone equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 03:10 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,304 times
One thing you will rarely see in Hawaii is anyone charged with a hate crime. Even though there are many occurances where haoles/tourists are beaten/attacked while the local attacker is calling them F'n haoles. Back on the east coast were I used to live to even utter those thoughts during an attack would net you are hate crime charge. Here it is covered up or charged as a simple assault; bad for tourism don't you know...

Old 09-26-2010, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
One thing you will rarely see in Hawaii is anyone charged with a hate crime. Even though there are many occurances where haoles/tourists are beaten/attacked while the local attacker is calling them F'n haoles. Back on the east coast were I used to live to even utter those thoughts during an attack would net you are hate crime charge. Here it is covered up or charged as a simple assault; bad for tourism don't you know...
many occurrences? please cite references? If there are many occurrences than it should be real easy for you to point to 1 or 2 of these for us, perhaps you can provide internet links to news write ups ( if a tourist got beaten up, it's going to make the news ya?)

Old 09-26-2010, 10:21 PM

17 posts, read 53,212 times
I'm a Filipino mainlander from Daly City, CA and I felt no discrimination whatsoever in Hawaii. Being positive and open minded helps too. Just leave your Air Jordans and designer jeans back on the mainland. J/K lol

Old 09-27-2010, 12:50 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Maybe not, but pay attention to how many charges include "Terroristic Threatening". Same thing. Adds quite a few years to a sentence.

It helps to remember that there are jerks in every color. Most of the nasty stuff I have seen seems to include mostly young men with more testosterone than anything else. Unfortunately these people are strong, have weapons and make the most of those assets.

My family moved over here about 7 years ago and we have encountered so few true hateful incidents directly squarely at us, that I could count them on one hand and probably have a few fingers left over. All 3 of my grown kids & myself, have lots of friends that are "local", Asian, Filipino and every other person you can think of.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:54 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolmarans View Post
many occurrences? please cite references? If there are many occurrences than it should be real easy for you to point to 1 or 2 of these for us, perhaps you can provide internet links to news write ups ( if a tourist got beaten up, it's going to make the news ya?)
Here ya go!

"hookena beach" crimes - Google Search

Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolmarans
Per your request.

Jury Convicts Man In Nanakuli Beach Slaying - News Story - KITV Honolulu (http://www.kitv.com/r/16837386/detail.html - broken link)

Racism in Paradise: Why Did Three Native Hawaiians Put Two Mainlanders in the Hospital? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

A nice synopsis of multiple events:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2328809/posts

If you get a chance also try googling "Kainoa Mcgee + Beatdown". I can't post the link to the video because I am at work. In my opinion the guy was asking for trouble in this one... but it goes to show that when the **** hits the fan in the islands, plenty of people line up to pound on the haole and also notice that nobody stopped to help.

USA today even did an article on some of he tensions out there. Pretty balanced piece actually, talked about a lot of the different angles. I stay out of the debate when it comes to these things being justified (due to the overthrow, occupation, etc...) I just know that I don't want to put up with it. Not saying it is worse than other places

Racial tensions are simmering in Hawaii's melting pot - USATODAY.com

To the OP's question. My friend (who is Filipino and from Virginia) came to visit me when I was living there. He was treated very well. The worst thing he had happen was to be teased in a playful way about his southern accent. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by UHgrad; 09-27-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 06:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,339 times
Well i suppose i asked for it ... those are scary reports.

well my opinion is the same three incidents seem to keep showing up and be requoted over and over not just in the links you posted also in this search which doesnt seem to find any new stories of violence Google2&q=hawaii+%28beaten+or+attacked+or+assaulted+or+p unched+%29 but instead finds mostly the same incidents as above.

So as far as incidents that made the internet news since 2007 it seems there are those three now not everything makes the news 1 in a 100 maybe but anything where cops get involved probably does.

Hawaii over 1.3million people ... not counting tourist population only three incidents that made the internet news OK news maybe reported only 1 in 100 lets just say...meaning there were probably 300 incidents ... that means that over the 2007 to 2010 timeframe your chances of receiving a beating are less than 1 in 10000...that's comforting!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Per your request.

Jury Convicts Man In Nanakuli Beach Slaying - News Story - KITV Honolulu (http://www.kitv.com/r/16837386/detail.html - broken link)

Racism in Paradise: Why Did Three Native Hawaiians Put Two Mainlanders in the Hospital? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

A nice synopsis of multiple events:

Prejudice in Paradise: Hawaii Has a Racism Problem

If you get a chance also try googling "Kainoa Mcgee + Beatdown". I can't post the link to the video because I am at work. In my opinion the guy was asking for trouble in this one... but it goes to show that when the **** hits the fan in the islands, plenty of people line up to pound on the haole and also notice that nobody stopped to help.

USA today even did an article on some of he tensions out there. Pretty balanced piece actually, talked about a lot of the different angles. I stay out of the debate when it comes to these things being justified (due to the overthrow, occupation, etc...) I just know that I don't want to put up with it. Not saying it is worse than other places

Racial tensions are simmering in Hawaii's melting pot - USATODAY.com

To the OP's question. My friend (who is Filipino and from Virginia) came to visit me when I was living there. He was treated very well. The worst thing he had happen was to be teased in a playful way about his southern accent. I knew this great looking vietmanese lady who had the thickest southeastern texas accent ..when you looked at this lady standing there with the tradition vietnamese dress on when we would have history day at work and when she open her mouth to speak that loveing sweet south texas accent would kick in and it was fun to hear her speak .
here something i would like to add to this above post ..i think it b.s. when the guys do something like saying the white man came and stole my land whole thing ..for it was allways warfare with some other tribe over hunting grounds and keeping them out of the tribe lands etc etc etc ..it been that way for a long time in this world before we supprosed to be a civil with one another in this land ... what they need to do is grow up and think about to get a better life for there familys than worrying about someone race there in the islands..iam part of american indian and i understand how our pride about beening this or that in the world and i have my socalled t-shirts and pins that i wear here and there at the pow-pows that i go to when i can ..but first off we are Americans and not this race or that race here in the country of our ..just saying ..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolmarans View Post
Well i suppose i asked for it ... those are scary reports.

well my opinion is the same three incidents seem to keep showing up and be requoted over and over not just in the links you posted also in this search which doesnt seem to find any new stories of violence Google2&q=hawaii+%28beaten+or+attacked+or+assaulted+or+p unched+%29 but instead finds mostly the same incidents as above.

So as far as incidents that made the internet news since 2007 it seems there are those three now not everything makes the news 1 in a 100 maybe but anything where cops get involved probably does.

Hawaii over 1.3million people ... not counting tourist population only three incidents that made the internet news OK news maybe reported only 1 in 100 lets just say...meaning there were probably 300 incidents ... that means that over the 2007 to 2010 timeframe your chances of receiving a beating are less than 1 in 10000...that's comforting!
I agree, it is not that bad. You should not walk around scared, worried, or on edge that someone is gonna randomly come up and attack you. Aside from the ridiculous amount of theft that occurs, Honolulu is a pretty safe city. I think the point that needs to be made is that if you are a "mainland haole", you are not part of the dominant culture there, and the culture that is dominant has a bit of resentment towards your designated group (yes, "mainland haole" is a group there with its own stereotypes). There is an underlying tension on that island, and when altercations do happen, a lot of locals are ready to pound the haole regardless of the specifics... so be aware of your surroundings, go about your business and DO NOT escalate confrontations. Instead just try to diffuse them. That is all I am saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: