Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:15 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,610 times

Advertisements

NanbVsMom there is a concept of "Hawaiian Time." People of the olden days and around in the country still got it and it is flourishing well. In the city area it may not be visible and at work these days they don't seem to tolerate anything as before. Years ago I met this girl at a fireman's party (I do mean party). We hit it off so well, it was if we knew each other for life (no,we are not gay). We did everything together including getting married to a pair of guys who had been friends forever. Then we even had our kids close togehter. Friends are out there and someday it will happen to you here. My EX-mother-in-law told me once; no friend, no soul. Your husband sounds great, but it is you that is searching. I take my kids to the Bon Dance when it is on and we go to temple (Shin Buddism) on Sunday, not every Sunday, because it's not that "YOW MUST GO" thing. If you are a fast study you can dump that original sin and what ever else is weighing so heavy in that huge piesce of baggage your carrying over your shoulder and breathe. Be aware of the "Universal Consciousness" (Carl Jung) we all share. And smile; so what if you get one of those "WHAT YOU LOOKING AT!" Walk on and smile at someone else, you are eventially bound to get a smile back. Open your mind to multiple ethnicity and learn about it. It helps with the attitudes if people leave out the negative words, there is always a different way to express an idea without heating up the word hate with it. Harsh words harm.
Now Lisa From Maui, congragulations with the student loan thing. Most my friends and I know we will die with our loans intact. We are all going to be cremated with the loan papers and spread our ashes over the.....Can't tell you. Anyway, I liked your marriage to Maui analogy.
I hope you two do meet and have tea or whatever is the plan. Life is short and good friends few.
It is the pensive tension of the time that will bring us back together; if, we are willing to recognize faith in each other.
Merry Christmas to all. It's going to be a good one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa From Maui View Post
Dear NandVs mom:

Just got bit by a mosquito... I hate those things! Death to keets!

Back home, on the mainland, my schedule was full. I was never, ever bored. Here, I've got so little to do that I'm bored out of my mind. My life consists of... sitting at home alot. Bicycling around town a little. Making up an excuse to bike to Safeway. (Husband says I've got sexy legs. Woo-hoo!) I bought some meditation tapes, have been meditating for an hour, every other day. I've wanted to learn to meditate for 5 years, just never set aside the time to do it. I have time to swim laps at the pool. On the week-ends, my husband takes me to the beach. It's been a year, and I'm just now making friends with women. It's good to have female friends.

I'm almost through my first year initiation. Things are getting better. Hope that helps. -- Lisa ;-)
LISA!! Reread what you wrote and really think about it!
The reason we want to move to Hawaii is to be "bored." The hustle, bustle of the East Coast (traffic, attachment to iPhones and Crackberry's, go-be-do!, if you are sitting doing nothing then you are wasting your time!, work 60 hours a week, if you can't do that then you are fired) is enough to make me vomit.

Being bored sounds like you just need some time to make friends, so I don't know if your boredom is truly boredom but just dislike of a solitary life. I am married too, and on my breaks from school I get bored (really, just alone at home.. but my two dogs make me happy so it doesn't seem so bad. I would much rather be sitting in a apartment in Hawaii than my house here!)

When and if we move out there (in September or later) I will look you up! we can meditate and be "bored" together. Try doing yoga, on the beach or at a center, try gathering shells to decorate and make things for your condo, walk on the beach everyday and sink your toes in the sand and realize that you are alive and breathing much fresher air than I am on the East Coast! Throw your watch out, jump in full force and count your blessings! And if that doesn't work, get a fun cute lil dog (like a Maltipoo) and explore the island together. What island are you on? Moderator cut: For safety concerns, please do not post your e mail addy. Thanks. We are thinking of Oahu, BI, or Maui.

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-24-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 07:22 PM

155 posts, read 544,715 times
Kriston: The reason YOU might move to Hawai'i is to be bored. The reason I moved was to support my husband.

NandVs mom's original question was, "Can one explain Hawai'i time?" I gave my own explanation of Hawai'i time. I've lived here a year. Can't find a job. Can't find volunteer work doing something that really interests me (something I can feel passionate about). Made the choice to not have a car. I'm having a hard time finding friends because when I say, "Let's go out," They say, "I can't, I've got to work" or "I can't, I've got to take care of the kids" or "I can't, I don't have any spending $$." Can't find a house of worship closeby that is a good enough fit for me that I want to really get involved in it. We live one mile away from the community college, but I haven't taken classes this fall because I don't want to pay $1200 for one 3-credit hour class. Those are all examples of Hawai'i time. Hawai'i will give me things to do when she's ready to. Until that time, I'm pretty bored.

Kriston wrote, "on my breaks from school I get bored" You then told me what to do so I would not be bored. Sounds like a double standard. It's ok for you to be bored on your two-week break from school, but it's not okay for me to be bored, living in Hawai'i.

I am often struck by how mainlanders (not just you... many others) will write posts about what it's like to live in Hawai'i. They've never lived here, and yet, they tell us what they would do if they did live here.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:59 PM

140 posts, read 407,414 times
first of all, if you don't have a job and have lil money to spends for a year, anywhere in the world you will most likely be bored.

lisa, i think you should create your own thread. she was asking about hawaiian time and simply stated that she was moving to maui. you decided to put your opinions of maui, which resulted in thread jacking. maybe you should start a thread about things to do for free on maui. i personally would rather not roam into a thread complaining about maui. oahu would probably suit u better, but i'm sure they won't pay your husband as well.

OP, hawaiian time standards depend on who you are meeting w/. some ppl i know are on time, where friends n family it can be from 30 mins to hrs. workplace really depends on the boss and the hours that you put in. my boss is flexible w/ the FTEs since we work more n do on call stuff.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:28 AM

41 posts, read 214,935 times
To get back to the original question "What is Hawai'i Time?": Hawai'i time, at least on Kaua'i, is the understanding that there is only one road, with one lane, and things happen (like me rear-ending someone yesterday). So, when life happens, people don't act like the sky is falling, they just accept that it happened and move on. If anything deserves that much stress, it's haoles coming over and bringing their stress with them!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,551 times
Island time is the same thing as any small town/country place. Don't be fooled into thinking it's any different. Right down to people telling you you need to let go of your "haole ways" to fit in (can you imagine if someone said that to a black guy about 'letting go of their black ways' to get along in like rural idaho?). It's just another small town in many ways. In Honolulu, it's just like any medium size city.

The only differences are the weather and the isolation. Don't get it in your head that it's another world; it's not.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:44 AM

155 posts, read 544,715 times
Lucas wrote: can you imagine if someone said that to a black guy about 'letting go of their black ways' to get along in like rural idaho?).

Thank you, Lucas. Thank you! Thank you! I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Nhzero wrote: there is only one road, with one lane

I agree. You will get there when you get there. If you want to drive 50 mph, and the car in front of you is driving 35, you're gonna drive 35. The idea in Hawai'i is... why rush? What is so important that you're gonna rush, put yourself and other people at danger, raise your blood pressure? The meeting starts at 10:00. Traffic is slow, and you'll arrive 20 minutes late. Why are you getting yourself so worked up? Why are you creating all this stress for yourself? It's not like you just got into a car accident, and if you don't get to the hospital in 10 minutes, you're gonna die. The world is not gonna fall apart just because you're 20 minutes late to a meeting. So, chill out!!! If you're at the meeting, and you're waiting for one person to arrive, you sit there for 19 minutes, and talk story with your friends. Not everyone does that, but that's the idea of what it means to be on "Island time."

Mokeanne wrote: she was asking about hawaiian time

That's exactly what I was writing about. Mother Maui will give me things to do when she is ready to. It's on HER schedule, NOT mine.

If I wrote just that, another person might ask, "what do you mean? Give some examples." So, I gave examples.

I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish within 3 months of moving here. It's been a year, and maybe one thing on that list is done. That's Hawai'i time.

Mokeanne wrote: complaining about maui

Many people who read these threads live on the mainland. Many people think Hawai'i is paradise. I am both honest and realistic when I write. I try to give Hoales (pronounced how-lees) real examples of what it's like to live here. If they live on the mainland, they aren't prepared for it.

The first three months I lived here, I thought there was something wrong with me. I constantly asked myself, "Why aren't things working? Why don't I get a call back from nonprofits, to volunteer? Why can't I find more friends - quicker?" I thought it was me. I thought I was a failure.

I read (reed) and write on two message boards, this one, and allnurses.com. Those boards helped me change my perspective. I realized that it's not just me. It's the island. I'm hoping other malihini will read my posts and realize the same thing... it's nothing personal. It's Hawai'i time.

Last edited by Lisa From Maui; 12-25-2009 at 12:56 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 04:32 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Yup, your boss will still get mad if you are chronically late. Especially if you try to chronically leave early.

Many things take longer. Service is generally slower, but once you have adapted you will like this too. People are not in a hurry.

BBQs and having folks over to dinner - still kind of expected to arrive on time-ish, but the margin is bigger.

Drive slower. Take your time getting somewhere so you can enjoy the ride, and the view, and the company. But still get there on time(ish). For you, that probably means leaving earlier, and maybe doing less in any one day.
I totally agree. The only thing I can't figure out since I moved here 6 years ago, is the way local people drive(and yes, tourists and transplants do drive mental as well). Everybody is always talking about how "laid back" everyone is here and no one rushes around... Why do most people drive like maniacs? I wish someone could answer this for me. I'm from Mass so I've been around bad drivers most of my life but over here on the Big Island it is SCARY. People routinely drive WAY over the 25mph limit in my neighborhood(and everywhere else) and seem to ignore that there are 2 solid yellow lines in the middle of the road. I drive the speed limit and am constantly tailgated. Tailgating is brutal over here. Also, It will take you a little while to get used to "over taking". Man, I have seen some CLOSE CALLS while driving to work over the years. The people that I see driving somewhat normal are either tourists or the real deal local old timers. I just can't figure it out.

Other than that, it is pretty laid back here. There is a fine line between laid back and lazy though. Just takes a while to get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii