Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:52 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
So glad you are alert now

I want to hear stories like this on how your pup gets acclimated so I know whats going to happen to my bruiser I want to film her first trip to the beach.

Updade: got the crate again this time it doesn't look broken. now to assemble it yuk. any tips on ow to get a dog used to going in and out of a crate ? she has been in 1 when she was a puppy she flew to us from South Dakota.

It looks like you will be walking the beach with my wife and dog before I get out . not a bad thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
Koa I would for sure clip your dog before coming. Mine has long thin hair and again thought he would be completly fine with the weather. He will I am sure in time get used to the weather but he is allot hotter than I expected. He also burnt his feet on the sun hot lava the first day. His pads are gonna have to tough up for walking on lava rock. His nose also got sun burnt first day - and he didn't like having sun lotion put on it.

Put toys and something that smells like you/wife T-shirt etc in the crate that smells like you. A pillow or blanket. I orginally tought him to go into the crate at first 10 minutes at a time. Let out and praise him with treats. Placed the crate in a spot that he normally would lay. As a puppy locked him in the crate at night - telling him go to bed. Go to bed to him means, no playing, lay still, sleep. Just like a doggie bed/pillow on the floor. Also it means time out but I never used the crate as a punishment tool.

In retraining him for the crate this time being it has been two years since he has been in a crate. I did much of the same thing. He completely didn't want to do it because of memories of being locked in the crate all day while I was at work. He saw it as a "Ohh know I am going to be locked up for hours" thing. So I would alternate between 10 minutes at a time - leave him in it to go to the store or overnight. He quickly decided the crate was his when the cat decided it wanted to sleep in it. Too funny when he tried to go in it and had a hissing cat instead of a treat!

Within a month when I picked up the keys instead of always knowing he was going in the truck he would walk over to his crate get in it - push his head out with the question look "Do I get to go??" I also like the idea (I didn't end up doing it ) of putting the crate in the car/truck and let them ride around in it so they associate it with something fun.

Good luck! Taking the day to just chill. Remind myself everything doesn't all have to be done right now! Whales were spotted out front of the house yesterday.... Looking looking looking today!!

Cody got Lei on arrival!!
Attached Thumbnails
Pup in Hawaii!!!-dscf0115.jpg   Pup in Hawaii!!!-dscf0111.jpg  

Old 12-17-2009, 03:27 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,176 times
"Didn't even get the name of the taxi driver but his phone
# is 808 422-2222 Use hime."

Was your cab driver Frank Delima?!

Good luck with everything, and yeah, the vog has been sucking lately. I HATE IT. Supposedly the east trades return tomorrow, we'll see! Hopefully we will be getting some rain this weekend too! I'm sure your dog will adapt if it hasn't already, they're so tough. We took our 1 year old puppy down to the valley about 5 years ago and she LOVED the salt water. What came about 2 hours later she didn't like very much! She also got "Dead Tail" from swimming in the ocean. I guess it's like a sprained tail? It was kind of funny, she couldn't wag her tail for like 2 weeks!

Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 PM

If I had my camera now it would hit youtube......

I have a small suv crate with my wife sitting inside trying to coax the dog into the crate .... oh ya they both would fit and its the size I'm suposed to get.... now my son is trying to help this is getting funny

to be continued.......

Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM

292 posts, read 948,697 times
Just start out slowly. Put treats in the crate so he has to go inside to get them. Keep a favorite blanket in there and the crate always open. After a while he should go in there on his own. Give it time! Good luck!!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:26 PM

That's what were doing she will do good I have a month to do this o no huge hurry.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:53 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
Too funny I can imagine your wife in the crate!!! Good luck... yep door open and the treats will help. They actually learn to like the crate - kinda turns into a den! Cody didn't want to use the crate to begin with but it was funny once the cat started to sleep in it he decided to protect it and would go in it to gaurd that it was his!! Favorite blanket, toys etc... she (?) will get interested in it if not forceing her too.

I would tell Cody instead of bed time as in the past, practice... don't know if this made any differnce to him but he does like his crate now. Even after the flight he will go in it with no problem.

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 12-17-2009 at 06:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii