Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:34 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times

Advertisements

I agree R_Cowgirl... will forward the end needs to happen.

I have avoided this entire thread for months. I only read last page. and that is all I will do. Is there differnce here yes. Is it like the old days at least on BI no. Is it all Hawaiians doing this crap no. Does loud mouthed mainlanders sometimes make this situation yes. Do those deserve it yes. Has the internet changed the younger generations yes. Did whites do bad to islanders yes.

It can be a sense of discussion on a educated level but if your not here - more than a vacation you just can't discuss. For myself I have never had an issue. For my SO moving here in early 70's ya you learn to respect where fishing or surfing areas are that you just don't go to.

Myself I wouldn't go into bronx or anyother big city places without knowledge of someone. I am not stating ghettos but a place I don't know. It is as it is all over the world. I am not going to Maraco without knowledge of someone in any area. Again it is what is. With that Mele Kalikimaka ! Embrace the culture your going into or stay away from it and find only your kine! Stick with it!

Old 12-26-2010, 01:35 AM

61 posts, read 247,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
What on earth are you arguing about? Yes, I said that Haoles are in many of the best neighborhoods, some of the best jobs and in the best schools- because they are in these positions. Many of the "Natives" that you mention are NOT actually Hawaiian at all; they ARE local but not Hawaiian per se. I will certainly not argue that many with Hawaiian blood are on drugs and trying to live their lives in a homeless situation; but there are just as many who are educated and living life in nice homes and without the influence of illegal drugs.

I AM of Hawaiian blood and I know that my very large extended family are educated and do NOT indulge in drugs or the drug culture. I will say that my very Haole husband did suffer culture shock when we first were Stationed here but he embraced the differences and it makes me laugh how my male cousins call HIM "just to talk" and they can talk story for hours.
before i go on this rant i would like to say merry christmas!

anyway, my point is that hawaiians got screwed over on there own turf...regardless if they are 100% or 5%......its still there ancestors who have been screwed over.

today, when you look around, they are still screwed over. who runs politics in hawaii? not native hawaiians. who runs schools? not native hawaiians. who runs all the hotels that make money? not native hawaiians. you get the point....its usually rich whites or asians getting all the money while the hawaiians get what? "the aina?" thats a joke. the way i see it is, Natives are the poor and uneducated IN THERE OWN DAMN HOME. you dont even have to been 100% hawaiian to be in included in this category...

sure theres kam schools....but alot of hawaiians cant even afford to send there kids there. so what happens? they are inrolled in hawaiis joke of a public school system and end up only going to school to "scrap fakas"...which if you have gone to public school, you would know is almost the daily occurrence in school with hawaiian blooded kids telling people to get off there island.

so all im saying is, racism IS in hawaii, to people out there saying it isnt around...you clearly havent lived in hawaii long enough or you havent seen anything yet. goodnight.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:53 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
OK, here's the big joke in all this to me... genetic researchers have now proved there is no scientific basis for the concept of race. We are all 99.9% the same genetically, differing only in surface appearances like skin color, eye color, hair color and texture. There is only one race... the human race.

The concept of people with pale skin and blue eyes being superior to darker colored people was created by people with pale skin and blue eyes in the 18th century, using pseudo science, to justify slavery and colonization.

I'm as pale as they come, with English/Scottish heritage, but I claim no privilege, no superiority for it. I treat everyone as my equal, and always have, and I love people. And that's why I have never had a serious issue on the south side of Chicago, in East L.A., in Harlem, in East Austin, or in the "Islander" neighborhoods of Seattle. Same same here.

Is there racism here in Hawai'i. Yes, of course there is, as there is EVERYWHERE, and some of it is really bad. But I never have any problem with it, and I defuse it when I encounter it, because I treat everyone with equal respect and dignity. And I get that same respect and dignity in return.

That's the way to end racism. Simply refuse to play that game. And having a sense of humor about it helps a lot. It's a stupid way to interract with people, but when you can laugh about it, instead of getting angry, and lead with aloha spirit, it makes a huge difference for everyone. Seriously.

As a teenager I was badly mauled by a dog. For years I was afraid of dogs, and everywhere I went I got hassled by dogs of all kinds. Then a "dog whisperer" taught me to project positive thoughts about dogs by internally finding something to admire and praise them for... beautiful eyes, courage, doing a good job protecting their property, whatever. And ever since then dogs love me. Seriously, they love me.

People are no different. What you think and feel and project comes back to you. Lead with aloha and aloha comes back to you.

As John Watson wrote in the 1800s,

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Old 12-26-2010, 04:08 PM

i like your attitude.....yes i think its good for everyone to just SHOW RESPECT to everybody else in general, regardless of race.

"Lead with aloha and aloha comes back to you." <------- i agree and i try to live this way. but sometimes there are those who are just stuck in there ignorant ways and will never change..its a shame really.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:46 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Southern Poverty Law Center is not exactly a shining light of truth. A key Charity organization has warned against supporting them. They roil the waters in an effort to make money.
The SPLC exposed - Southern Poverty Law Center - Morris Dees and hate crimes
So I wouldn't exactly call a quote from them an accurate representation.
Not to get off the subject, but the organization (Social Contract Press) you cite is headed by someone (Wayne Lutton) who is an adviser and member of a white separatist group. Not exactly unbiased themselves.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:08 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Not to get off the subject, but the organization (Social Contract Press) you cite is headed by someone (Wayne Lutton) who is an adviser and member of a white separatist group. Not exactly unbiased themselves.
No - I dont' want to turn this thread into a conversation about SPLC. I was responding to another post. Two things: First, I am offended that Morris Dees thought he needed to stick his nose into Hawaii and try and stir up things that are NOT there. He's quite a piece of work.

and second,
yes - you are right -- i grabbed the first article. The fact is, Morris Dees is no angel, and for four decades he has done everything he can to drum up more hate, more business for SPLC and more money to line his pockets. He doesn't care what kind of fallout there is, what the consequences are... he just loves to stir it up, because stirred up people give more money. There are numerous articles about him, and I'm old enough to remember the scandals about him way back in the 70's. Sorry I grabbed one of the questionable links. Here -- both the left and the right question him if you pay attention:

From the Left:
Carol M. Swain: Mission Creep and the Southern Poverty Law Center's Misguided Focus
From the Right:
http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/A...is%20Dees.html

Take it for what it's worth.
And this thread is about things other than what's floating around in Morris's head...

Old 12-26-2010, 06:48 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
I also don't want to turn this into a conversation of the SPLC (which I really have no opinion of), but Carol Swain is the "nodding head" on Lou Dobbs' programs and hardly a spokesperson for the left.
What you say about Morris Dees may very well be true- "All power tends to corrupt...."

Old 12-26-2010, 06:56 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
"so all im saying is, racism IS in hawaii, to people out there saying it isnt around...you clearly havent lived in hawaii long enough or you havent seen anything yet. goodnight."

Again, what are you arguing about? You are re-iterating what I have said, yet finding a way to argue with the same statements that YOU are defending!

BTW- I was born and raised here, moved about with the Military and have come home again- AND I am of Hawaiian blood so, yes I think that I have "been around long enough" and I HAVE seen enough yet!

Also, a great many business have owners and those with interests in business who have Hawaiian blood. Many of these people went to public schools and took it upon themselves to find a way to have a better life for themselves and their families. My Father had a very successful company and he had many employees of Hawaiian blood. We had a VERY good life. My Father died 18 years ago and the business was disbanded but it was successful enough that my Mother has been well cared for and has NOTHING to worry about until the day she dies.

Just because YOU don't know these successful business owners does not mean that they do not exist. I still maintain a great many of the contacts that were made by my Father and so many of these companies have grown and flourished as have their families.

My sons went to school here for a couple of years and the ONLY time there was an incident was with other Military kids (not one other local kid involved!). One son was VERY Haole and he went through his school days easily and had a lot of friends both Military and local. My other son who is brown was obviously not brought up here because of the way he speaks, and they were obviously Army kids. No problems at all. Why? Because they were friendly kids!

I am NOT denying that there are many poor and displaced people of Hawaiian blood, nor am I denying the existence of racist idiots that seem to be everywhere in the world. People who look for racism will likely find it.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:39 PM

11 posts, read 28,827 times
Hawaii
These papers are beautiful scenery...

Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 AM

-melaniej65-

lol which one of my own statements am i arguing against? haha.

anyway im done arguing and ive already made my point so ill just let you dwell on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii