Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808islandstyle View Post
-melaniej65-

lol which one of my own statements am i arguing against? haha.

anyway im done arguing and ive already made my point so ill just let you dwell on it.
Ab asino lanam

Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 PM

61 posts, read 247,576 times

Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808islandstyle View Post
I'll pass; it is too easy!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I've said it before... if you are racist, you will encounter racism.
It's not that simple.

What I think about others will have no impact on whether I am discriminated against in terms of housing, whether people throw slurs my way (both happened in Hawaii) or any other race-based quandaries I find myself in. There are racists in Hawaii just as there are anywhere else, and there is nothing you or I can do about it.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 AM

5 posts, read 23,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Skywalker23~

It is amusing that for someone as "educated" as you claim to be it seems as if you cannot write properly in either Pidgin or English.

My Haole husband has not run into any of these Haole bashers that you claim are so rampant in Hawaii. He goes through all of the neighborhoods on Oahu and has been treated with nothing but respect. I wonder how he has missed all of the people waiting and willing to call him an "f'n Haole" and "crack him in the face".

A friend recently moved here (Army family) and she was absolutely terrified because she'd heard of all of the racism aimed towards Whites. It completely surprised her that she has explored much of the Island and has not had any of the issues about which she had been forewarned. Rather it has been her neighbors on Post that have been rude, hateful and in some cases racist; just imagine her surprise.

Yes, there are those who are hateful; just as there are everywhere in the world but it is hardly "rampant"; if it were then there would hardly be media interest when there is a violent episode. There is always racism when one looks for it, but Haoles are in most of the "good" neighborhoods, in many of the well paying jobs and in the best schools; how very terrified they must be!
I never used the word rampant actually. Funny how someone who is insulting my education clearly is lacking in reading comprehension.

Of course as an adult people tend to be a lot more mature about things, so it's easy to see why your husband hasn't run into any problems. Maybe he's one of the lucky ones.

But again, you miss the main point of the post. Where is it acceptable to call another race by their derogatory slang name to their face? The answer is Hawaii.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Rampant was placed in quotes because I am not able to place emphasis on a word in other ways very easily (due to blindness and my speaking computer program). It has nothing to do with reading comprehension; but that was certainly a very nice leap to a conclusion (you must be very limber indeed!).

Haole is NOT a derogatory word unless there is a "f'ing" (or other slur) in front of the term. Simply because there are people that are determined to make it derogatory does not make it so. We tend to use words like "Haole", "Pake", "Portagee" and "Kanaka" to identify or describe a person. Haoles (non-Kama'aina) are often taken aback because they are unused to such identifiers and are looking for reasons to point out the "discrimination" against themselves.

Again, yes there are people who are racist here in Hawaii (just as there are in every corner of the world). No, it is hardly the majority of the people who are racist; but as is often the case, those that are racist are very vociferous.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Haole is NOT a derogatory word unless there is a "f'ing" (or other slur) in front of the term. Simply because there are people that are determined to make it derogatory does not make it so. We tend to use words like "Haole", "Pake", "Portagee" and "Kanaka" to identify or describe a person. Haoles (non-Kama'aina) are often taken aback because they are unused to such identifiers and are looking for reasons to point out the "discrimination" against themselves.
I'm married to a lady from Hawaii. On our second date (over 10 years ago), she explained this to me, and then showed me a video from comedian Frank DeLima in which he pokes fun at all the ethnic stereotypes. It's all good-natured, and everyone is a member of a minority, so it's not like there's a majority making derogatory remarks about a minority. My wife is half Japanese and half Portuguese ethnically, but since both of her parents were born in Hawaii, as was she, she considers herself Hawaiian culturally. That kind of mixture is typical. Me, I accept that I'm a Haole. My wife makes it clear that I'm different from Haoles (angry emphasis), the ones who treat locals rudely or who come from the Mainland and drive up the price of real estate.

During my numerous trips to the Islands, I've only been treated rudely by local strangers a couple of time. Most people are exceedingly friendly, particularly when I express how much I love Hawaii, its people, its food, and its culture. You wouldn't believe how many points I score with amazed locals by eating and enjoying poi, poke, Spam musubi, seaweed salad, and all the various pickled Japanese and Korean delicacies.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:24 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker23 View Post
...But again, you miss the main point of the post. Where is it acceptable to call another race by their derogatory slang name to their face? The answer is Hawaii.
But... you're wrong because it isn't a derogatory race term.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Agreed, in its original sense and use (and pronunciation... ha O lee). And I think it's even understandable, given the great emphasis in native culture on ohana, the extended family. Before the influx of outsiders disrupted the old ways, the family you belonged to determined where you lived, and to a certain extent what you did for a living. So just as having blue eyes or blond hair was a physical characteristic that could be used to describe someone, so too was their family identification, and haole was non-family. No matter where they came from.

So when some wise old Aunty refers to me as haole, she's simply describing one of my defining characteristics... along with being blonde (now greyed) and blue-eyed.

On the other hand, if some angry person with their fists clenched were to call me a "howlie," I'd know they were referring to my lack of native blood in a disparaging way, as if I didn't belong here.

It's all in the context, and the intent.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I have heard derogatory race terms being used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii