Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:09 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

Can burn the flag and expect others to not get angry. Do what you want as long as you understand what the effect of your choices are. Aloha

Old 03-27-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x50 View Post
When you moved to Washington State, did the locals tell you that you had to expunge yourself entirely, totally, absolutely and in perpetuity, of your Hawaiian culture, or did you bring some of with you to add to the mix in your new home? A simple answer to a simple question would be most appreciated.
That what im saying move to Hawai'i add to the culture because western culture has a place in our melting pot, but don't dominate expecting everyone to giveup there culture or way of life for you, which is happening in Hawai'i by mainlanders more and more everyday. Simple enough?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:21 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,193 times
2x50 wrote: "NOBODY is telling, anticipating, expecting, requiring, demanding to any degree anyone in Hawaii to "give up their culture or way of life...""

This is false. The influx of tourism, money, and real-estate investment/speculation in Hawaii is pushing out the simpler community-based economy in the most desireable shoreline areas. And often it is done illegally, for example unpermitted expansion of houses, turning ag land into luxury housing, illegal vacation rental, fighting native Hawaiian practitioners to build on burial grounds.

Your aggressive and oppressive behavior is not welcome on this forum (as evidenced by repeated bans) and more broadly in Hawaii--and probably not where you live either.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
2x50 wrote: "NOBODY is telling, anticipating, expecting, requiring, demanding to any degree anyone in Hawaii to "give up their culture or way of life...""

This is false. The influx of tourism, money, and real-estate investment/speculation in Hawaii is pushing out the simpler community-based economy in the most desireable shoreline areas. And often it is done illegally, for example unpermitted expansion of houses, turning ag land into luxury housing, illegal vacation rental, fighting native Hawaiian practitioners to build on burial grounds.

Your aggressive and oppressive behavior is not welcome on this forum (as evidenced by repeated bans) and more broadly in Hawaii--and probably not where you live either.

Anything illegal is wrong period. But again, if hundreds of thousands of folks from the mainland move to Hawaii and change it, too bad for the locals. It has happened all over America. Everyone else in America has had to deal with change. People here had to leave their neighborhoods cause no one spoke their language anymore, etc. Hawaii doesn't get different rules. It is America and every American can move there, and as long as they stay within the law, they can bring their culture and the way they lived and acted exactly as they feel is part of their culture. If native Hawaiians attack and abuse them for that, then those natives should be tried and punished. Simple as that. Again, if Hawaiians don't want this, embrace the movement to have your state secede and see what happens.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 03-27-2014 at 09:29 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 09:59 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I've heard of bigfoot, the lock ness monster, the boogie man, tooth fairy, etc...and yet that doesn't mean I believe it.

Besides this forum where it is really common - and that poster doesn't even live here, I'm still waiting on my first racial attack/experience.
I've lived here on and off for over 30 years, 18 of those years i was in the US Navy. I have not yet experienced a racial attack. Maybe its how you behave around everybody. Just my 2 cents.
Scott

Old 03-27-2014, 10:20 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Way too much shibai.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
That what im saying move to Hawai'i add to the culture because western culture has a place in our melting pot, but don't dominate expecting everyone to giveup there culture or way of life for you, which is happening in Hawai'i by mainlanders more and more everyday. Simple enough?
Wonder what your opinion is regarding the impact of Asian immigration on Native Hawaiian culture ?

You do frequently talk about the negative impact of mainlanders and Western culture. But to my casual observation, it seems to me that Asian immigration and Asian culture has had a larger effect on Hawaii and domination of Native Hawaiian culture to date than mainlanders have. On Oahu there are more Asian tourists and a larger Asian population than Western/mainland tourists or population.

Asian investment in business and develop is also very large on Oahu.

Heck even things we think of today as "Hawaiian", like the plate lunch for example, is not really Hawaiian. It has it's roots in Asian immigration.

I accept that Western culture has made an impact, but hasn't Asian culture dominated Oahu to a greater extent? And if not, what am I missing ?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Wonder what your opinion is regarding the impact of Asian immigration on Native Hawaiian culture ?

You do frequently talk about the negative impact of mainlanders and Western culture. But to my casual observation, it seems to me that Asian immigration and Asian culture has had a larger effect on Hawaii and domination of Native Hawaiian culture to date than mainlanders have. On Oahu there are more Asian tourists and a larger Asian population than Western/mainland tourists or population.

Asian investment in business and develop is also very large on Oahu.

Heck even things we think of today as "Hawaiian", like the plate lunch for example, is not really Hawaiian. It has it's roots in Asian immigration.
YIKES! One of the best posts I've seen on here. Asian immigration (even today) has a far greater influence on Hawaii than mainland immigration.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:41 PM

@WaikikiBoy

This topic has nothing to do with native hawaiian culture as a whole. It does have everything to do with local lifestyles and culture. For the record everybody has the compatibility to act on the best or worst of human character ok so we don't have to argue that. Me personally i know native hawaiians who hate asians as much as mainlanders. But me personally, i don't have an issue with the asian culture in Hawai'i because for the most part we share common values in our cultures with asians who live on the islands. Like the more emphasis on we instead of I, the importance of ohana, community.

You guys keep triping over this issue like its a big thing. It isn't, the simplest form of the message i give is respect others, land, community, cultures. Your not losing anything.

To answer your question fully Waikikiboy, what laws have been put into place that have effected the cultures established on the islands for decades? Who initiated it?

Continue next post.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 PM

Continued from last post

When you travel thru Oahu for example, does it look like Hawai'i? Or does it resemble more like any Mainland city or Town? Or does it look like asia?

One of the known lifestyle positives of the local hawaii island culture is its laid back attitude or style of take it easy slow life? I ask is this still true, or is it getting faster and faster, acting like mainland? These are just some examples. I would be upset with any native who would hurt the aina etc etc. It just appears that i pick on western culture because as a whole it emphasis more on I instead of we, and has caused more damage to native people and there countries.

As for native hawaiian culture, ask yourself why now do we have to teach olelo hawaii in schools? Why in the 1970s we could only find 14 individuals who could speak it fluently. Then ask yourself why and who?

I don't hate anyone, i hate behaviors.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-28-2014 at 12:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii