Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:53 PM

155 posts, read 544,855 times

Advertisements

R_Cowgirl wrote: I think you are lumping the people who are miserable and complaining together with the people who are realists about Hawaii and are helping the dreamy-eyed mainlanders make a better decision.

"Why don't you move?" is a simplistic question. Read the majority of the posts on the Hawaii forum for what they are - cautionary tales on a forum about moving, aimed at people with stars in their eyes and not enough kala (money) to carry them through the tough times and the return home.

The economy there eats away at your pocketbook in nickels and dimes every day, so you don't realize it until you see that your savings are gone, your 401K is gone, and your options are slim.

the hard truths spoken here by Hawaii residents and former residents are not griping, they are the hard truths.

Everything she wrote. Put it in bold. Underline it. My thoughts exactly.

Thinking about our financial goals... put money into a Roth IRA? Have a six-month emergency fund? Yeah, right! I'll be thrilled if we can get through the next 10 years without charging up a single credit card.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:57 PM

155 posts, read 516,294 times
This has really just reinforced what I thought I needed to do BEFORE I think about moving over there. Pay off all bad debt-which I am doing. I already have lists made (I am a list-maker freak) about what I would sell, store, and take with me. I already have a real estate agent (sort of but long story) that I made contact with when I decide to move. I have looked at what everyone has posted about different areas and I have been in some of those areas firsthand (lived in the Salt Lake area during my contract). Of course my dad jokingly says I can't move and my sister says I can't move until my nephews are way older (3 and almost 6 now) but what happens if she has another baby (her words)? My heart and soul want what it wants! I am a nurse so I have at least some sort of career that can be in demand plus I have been one for 12 years and just became chemo certified so one more skill that not everyone has. I can't take the cold anymore-of course we don't have the kind of snow they have in the midwest and back east but still, cold is cold! My cousin went camping on Hickam beach in O`ahu and posted on FB that it was cold! I said cold like 70 or cold like 30? It was 69 on the water-oh how nice that would be. I think I digressed.........point is, someday I will be a full-time resident and I will be going in with eyes wide open thanks to the posters here.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:05 AM

91 posts, read 419,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa From Maui View Post

Everything she wrote. Put it in bold. Underline it. My thoughts exactly.

Thinking about our financial goals... put money into a Roth IRA? Have a six-month emergency fund? Yeah, right! I'll be thrilled if we can get through the next 10 years without charging up a single credit card.

Once again Lisa, move out of Maui before you hurt yourself or somebody else! I would loan your relocation expenses if need be. It seems like Arizona is the place to go after struggling in Hawaii.

On a more serious note...

I have lived in many of the more expensive areas in the US (Manhattan [not just NYC], LA, D.C. area, etc) and have come to the conclusion that *anywhere desirable* is going to cost you in terms of money.

In my profession, I could easily make 2-3x as much money going to such places as North Dakota, Nebraska, Alabama, etc...anywhere where most people would not want to relocate to (aka cold, desolate, or "hick" places)... because there is less competition there. The reason that I (as well as most of my colleagues) do not move to such places is because most of us are willing to sacrifice financial gain for a better living experience (aka warm beautiful places).

I am looking forward to sharing my own moving to / living in Hawaii experiences with everyone on this forum... hopefully it will give some hope to those of us looking to live there long-term.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 AM

138 posts, read 355,173 times
I think that the financial aspect of the move is more dramatic for those moving out of areas that are drastically easier on the pocket book. If your moving from Colorado Springs, sticker shock is going to really hurt compared to those moving from Southern California (for example).

Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 AM

67 posts, read 257,904 times
Vicious - I agree that anywhere desirable is expensive. When are you moving? I look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM

7 posts, read 20,528 times
I haven't returned to the mainland because I cannot move with the children without the approval of my soon to be ex, or of the court. This puts me and the children in a financially dire situation, since Dad does not work, really, and is not financially supportive. Case pending.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 14,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckonmaui View Post
I haven't returned to the mainland because I cannot move with the children without the approval of my soon to be ex, or of the court. This puts me and the children in a financially dire situation, since Dad does not work, really, and is not financially supportive. Case pending.
Do you have a job lined-up on the mainland?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,609 times
Very interesting thread. Thanks for the good read.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 PM

91 posts, read 419,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybarnes View Post
Vicious - I agree that anywhere desirable is expensive. When are you moving? I look forward to hearing about your experiences.
I'll be there in July... I'll let everyone know how it goes from my perspective.

I'm in a slightly-different situation than some because I have a relatively ok-paying job lined up before going to Maui.

I don't think I would just move to Maui (or anywhere for that matter) without having some type of employment already arranged.

-V

Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 AM

7 posts, read 20,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savingsakura View Post
Do you have a job lined-up on the mainland?
I have standing job offers from my clients - I do freelance work. But my plan is to continue my freelance work in the other state (clients are all there and I would be given more work by virtue of proximity) while living with family. This way I would be able to be with the children more until they start school. Once they started school if it is advantageous I would take a full time job with one of my clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii