Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
A possible simple answer is they can't afford to move back to the mainland.
Exactly, many bought on the top of the market a couple of years ago and would loose a bundle to pull out now.

Also many of the complaints are bad enough to do just that but not enough to move.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:05 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,287 times
Not so sure about the message you are getting maybe its not that some of the posters dislike living in Hawaii. Maybe its more like trying to give some facts of life about living in Hawaii so that people do some serious research before packing up and moving here. I done it a few years ago, but was a frequent visitor and also spent 8 years here in the Army way back when. Living in Hawaii can be your paradise or it can be your hell. All the people posting on here are trying to do is help to educate others on the real Hawaii not the travel brochure Hawaii they are two different creatures.

Last edited by timbo31958; 01-17-2010 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-17-2010, 02:51 PM

91 posts, read 419,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
Not so sure about the message you are getting maybe its not that some of the posters dislike living in Hawaii. Maybe its more like trying to give some facts of life about living in Hawaii so that people do some serious research before packing up and moving here. I done it a few years ago, but was a frequent visitor and also spent 8 years here in the Army way back when. Living in Hawaii can be your paradise or it can be your hell. All the people posting on here are trying to do is help to educate others on the real Hawaii not the travel brochure Hawaii they are two different creatures.

Your reasoning makes sense. I guess the same comments can be made for any "touristy" place in the world... the "vacation image" of the locale versus the "reality" of the locale.

But I guess the difference is that most people expect, say Manhattan, to be uber-expensive and congested, etc... but probably don't expect Hawaii to be as expensive, boring, or "non-ideal".

I just find it annoying that people complain and gripe about a place...and tell us about how unhappy it makes them to live there... but continue to live there for some unknown reasons.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Guess I shouldn't ask where you live, huh?

Yeah, there do seem to be a lot of them there. There is another group on the other side of the island where they will swear to you that dolphins are actually visiting space aliens. It's easy to see why Pahoa/Puna folks would see rainbows, but why the folks on the dry side are seeing space aliens, I dunno.
Because the whales told them, that's why.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM

140 posts, read 407,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
I just find it annoying that people complain and gripe about a place...and tell us about how unhappy it makes them to live there... but continue to live there for some unknown reasons.
i live in an area where a high percentage are military. a lot of ppl are not here by choice. the spouse has a job, so by default they reside here. once they get their chance to leave, they'll go.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:17 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Ummm, somehow this thread changed topics to the proportion of people who move back to the mainland.

I am wondering for those of you who currently live IN Hawaii and dislike/hate it there...what is keeping you from moving back TO the mainland?

I already know the reasons people want to move back to the mainland (costs, loneliness, etc), but I want to know why people who hate living on the islands, choose to continue to "suffer" there.
So true, so true! You are asking "why" the miserable people continue to stay.
So it is the people with negative attitudes about being a citizen in the state of Hawaii that should be responding to the OP. And, if they end up responding that will only confirm ...... ... ......... ..............

You are what you eat and you are what you think.

Anyway, may I offer a situation that I see with some people whom are miserable here and feel they cannot leave. It's their family. A few I know are unhappy but will not leave their grown kids that live that were born and raised on the islands. Another group is the military, but somehow I do not suspect they are the primary source that spashes this forum with warnings of gloom and dispair. By the way, Thank You men and women of the miltitary, and as to the previous post concerning our finest - it's an honest answer and is what the OP asked. BTW, I'm not saying the people in the military are miserable.

OP is not asking about the state of the %s, reasons not to come/when people go/locations of the nude beaches/would Eddie go/ ect... Please try not to jack the thread.

Salute...

Last edited by tyvin; 01-17-2010 at 04:44 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 06:29 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
balad made a great point. people who own a home and want out can't sell first no one is buying and second if they do sell their homes are worth at least 150 thousand less than just a few years ago. scary. other than what the other posters have added I will add that many people are negative and their whole outlook is a downer even when surround by beauty

Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
One of our neighbors fits the "would leave if he could" category. He wants to live on Maui but thought he'd buy a property to flip in our neighborhood before he went there. He bought the house, fixed it up and now it's worth about $200K less than he paid for it. He's not going anywhere for awhile. He's not complaining overmuch, but he's not where he wants to be. He rented his house out for awhile and went to the mainland but his renters left and so now he's back.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 PM

14 posts, read 49,806 times
mdand3boys: What kind of people ar eyou preferring to n Puna? Is Puna notorious for.... drugs? Or are they just "quirky" How long have you lived in Puna? or the Hilo side? Curious.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manamark View Post
mdand3boys: What kind of people ar eyou preferring to n Puna? Is Puna notorious for.... drugs? Or are they just "quirky" How long have you lived in Puna? or the Hilo side? Curious.
Puna is very slowly losing its' reputation as the "wild west". Drugs are very prevalent, as in the large-scale weed growers. Puna also seems to attract the quirky people - as in the fruits and nuts types that couldn't make it in California... They somehow thrive here.

Still, the Puna District is beautiful, is extremely full of diverse people, has plenty of water (East side), grows almost anything and offers the least expensive way to live in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii