Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 14,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Perhaps, but if one doesn't have a job on the Islands, but can find work on the mainland, I'm sure they can scrap up the airfare to move back.
So true..... but, it's easier to be homeless in Hawaii, why move back to the continent **. Perfect tropical weather, free medical, and food.

I agree tho, that ppl hating on the local-style should vacate our islands and make way for those that want to be a part of our beautiful life! Aloha

Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
What free medical are you talking about? Why does that keep showing up in conversations? Guess what folks THERE AIN'T NO FREE MEDICAL AROUND HERE! Not really any "free food" either, for that matter. Occasional fruit from trees, but are they your trees? Did you ask if you could have it?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM

737 posts, read 1,463,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Puna is very slowly losing its' reputation as the "wild west". Drugs are very prevalent, as in the large-scale weed growers. Puna also seems to attract the quirky people - as in the fruits and nuts types that couldn't make it in California... They somehow thrive here.

Still, the Puna District is beautiful, is extremely full of diverse people, has plenty of water (East side), grows almost anything and offers the least expensive way to live in Hawaii.

Haa! So true.

Just my two cents about the original question, we would leave tomorrow if we could. But we can't because we are still finishing our house and have tenants on a lease. Just a couple of the reasons. We don't "hate it" here or anything, it's just time to move on.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What free medical are you talking about? Why does that keep showing up in conversations? Guess what folks THERE AIN'T NO FREE MEDICAL AROUND HERE! Not really any "free food" either, for that matter. Occasional fruit from trees, but are they your trees? Did you ask if you could have it?
thanks for the post hotz, I was wondering the same thing?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Koale, have you been to Puna? In Puna these characteristics aren't put in the "negative" column! The traits MD mentioned are almost a badge of honor. Puna runs on an entirely different database than the rest of the planet - and they like it and want it that way.

PUNATICS anyone?!!!!!

Puna is the butt of a lot of jokes around here. It's all in good fun, I think. But seriously, "cheap" land and the ideal climate for growing marijuana I would think would attract a certain "kind" of person. I worked with a couple punk kids from Puna and they were PROUD of being from Puna I tell ya.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
thanks for the post hotz, I was wondering the same thing?
As far as "free health care", maybe they're refering to QUEST?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Guess I shouldn't ask where you live, huh?

Yeah, there do seem to be a lot of them there. There is another group on the other side of the island where they will swear to you that dolphins are actually visiting space aliens. It's easy to see why Pahoa/Puna folks would see rainbows, but why the folks on the dry side are seeing space aliens, I dunno.
The ones seeing the space aliens moved from Sedona Az. They will only move to a place where they can expect to see space aliens.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:56 PM

Default Living the Hi-Life..

Quote:
I was being sarcastic bout those that are mouth-trashn the LocalLifeStyle but not leave. I truly understand that there are obligations that delay their departure. However, the topic also made me think of the homeless population.

When I was in San Fran, I knew a shop owner who bought a one-way ticket to Hawaii for a vagabond who panhandled infront his shop. The bum never returned so, go figure.

Just my 2cents, but do you see underweight ppl in our islands? The homeless population have access to food and medical via many programs, all children covered by Med-QUEST (many college students as well), and the military taking care of their own... I have volunteered, worked in the prison med-unit, and know that Hawaii is not a bad place to be because we give aloha to all our kama'ainas, even for the homeless or institutionalized.

The positives outweigh the negatives...... dependent on one's perspective. IMHO

Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
If you have no job and little assets, you can get Medicaid Insurance.

If you have a 20+ hr per week minimum wage job, you qualify for single coverage (not for dependents) employer paid insurance. In most cases, the employer pays 90%+ of the premium by law. To a person making minimum wage, that's about as free as it gets.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
If you have no job and little assets, you can get Medicaid Insurance.

If you have a 20+ hr per week minimum wage job, you qualify for single coverage (not for dependents) employer paid insurance. In most cases, the employer pays 90%+ of the premium by law. To a person making minimum wage, that's about as free as it gets.
True that! Many years ago that was me working as a waitress, and I went to the doctor once. Healthy young ppl rarely get check ups. Must be good genes and HI-LIVING.. I understand that for families it's difficult. Didn't mean to take this topic off track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii