Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 12,304 times

Advertisements

We are coming this week for a visit/job interview. We are a family of 4 from San Diego. We are both doctors and have specialties in demand in Oahu.

Which neighborhoods would be close to Kapiolani Medical Center? Which ones close to Punahoe school? (Forgive my spelling...just starting research).

Both my husband and I have lived on Maui for summers growing up. We are entertaining this move. Our income will be fine and I am not worried about our jobs, but I do worry about education for our children who will be in Kindergarten and 2nd grade next year. I also worry about racism, as we are caucasian.

Any tips for neighborhoods we should visit and ideas on making this a smooth transition?

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,303,438 times
It's Punahou and if you are considering Punahou School investigate, as there is usually a waiting list for the private school.
I sense your main concern is the kids and the melting pot animosity that is posted sometimes. Each experience is different but private school vs public = public wins.
There are 2 KMC on Oahu and unless you live next door to the hospital/clinic you will endure the traffic regardless of where you live.
The ultimate experience would be to work at the position for a month to see if it's a fit. I guarantee that you and your husband will be working 24/7.

Salute...

Old 01-19-2010, 12:30 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,527,807 times
Step 1.
Quit worrying about racism.
Step 2.
Repeat Step 1.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 AM

67 posts, read 258,064 times
Hi, We are also planning a move to Honolulu (from the DC area), and schools are my main concern. Based upon my research, I think private is the way to go. Punahou is supposed to be excellent, but also very exclusive. Some of the "best" public elementary schools include Waikiki and Noelani. But apparently the public school situation is dismal, Hawaii ranks at the bottom in public education, and children will not go to school on Fridays due to lack of funding and teacher furloughs. So, again, I think you'll want to go for private schools, which generally cost between 5k-18k. Some of the catholic schools offer less expensive options.

I am very curious - why do you want to leave San Diego? Seems like you already live in a great place? I ask b/c San Diego is on our list of places we'd like to live. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 AM

7 posts, read 12,304 times
We love San Diego and would easily stay if they had the need for our specialties here, which they do not. It can be a difficult place to find a job for a doctor, as are many places considered to be desirable places to live. I have a good job, not great but my husband's job is impacted.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 AM

138 posts, read 355,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybarnes View Post
I am very curious - why do you want to leave San Diego? Seems like you already live in a great place? I ask b/c San Diego is on our list of places we'd like to live. Thanks!
As with anyplace you live there are downsides. Southern California is one long suburb from the Mexico Border until the other side of Santa Monica (along the coast) with the only break being Camp Pendelton.

It's a desert. There's California brown most of the time, california brown bush, california brown squirrel, california brown rabbit, lol. The only perma green things are the landscaping at the shopping malls, golf courses and entries into the housing areas.

There's a lot of positives (things to do, great weather almost on par with Hawaii, variety of people) but I've lived her my whole life (except for time in the service) so it can get mundane.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,306,974 times
Manoa is my favorite place in all of Hawaii. It's very convenient to Punahou (and Mid-Pac, my alma mater). The challenge is that even if you have the money it's not easy to find a house there. You might also like Makiki Heights or Nuuanu.

Regarding schools, I'd look at Punahou, Mid-Pac and Iolani. They are the top three private schools in central Honolulu. St. Andrew's Priory School is downtown, but it's an all-girls school so I don't know if it's appropriate. The Catholic schools are cheaper, but not nearly as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii