Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these is your worst nightmare ?
Huge Flying Cockroaches 19 30.65%
Cane Spider 8 12.90%
Centipedes 33 53.23%
Black Widows 11 17.74%
Scorpions 8 12.90%
Happy Face Spiders 3 4.84%
Ants 4 6.45%
Termites 6 9.68%
I have no problem with any of them ! 5 8.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 AM

82 posts, read 460,331 times

Advertisements

I am appreciating all the input here - seems like all of you have had personal experiences with these yucky creepy crawlies !!! I thought at first it might be a freak occurrence, but now am thinking it may be more of the norm.....not too comforting....
Let me ask this - do you think these things happen more on any of the islands ? More on the B.I ? Maui ? Kauai ? Oahu ? Molokai ?
Do you think if you lived in a high rise lets say on Oahu, the chances of encountering any of these would be slim or non existent ? Or can those creepy things gain access even way up in a tall tall building from what you are aware ? Any comments on this would be appreciated....

Also, to those transplants to the islands - have your kids had any issues with these things, or how have they managed dealing with these 6" centipedes and Cane spiders that jump 5 feet ? Any issues with them wanting to leave Hawaii over it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 AM

201 posts, read 823,117 times
lol, it's not like you'll find insects covering every inch of everything. You're going to have "pests in paradise", but if your abode is kept clean and you have regular pest control services, it'll just be a minor nuisance.

Centipedes are the worst BTW.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
For the answer to kids. don't know only hear from other people's kids. The education should be the question to you vrs insects. insects are a common thing here but not a deciding factor. Insects are far from what you need to decide what is good for kids. Insects only bother adults kids deal with it.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 AM

168 posts, read 726,492 times
i am not a fan of any creepy crawlies. there's just not a whole lot around here that get inside to be an issue so i'm a little worried about my move to hawaii. but i know it's not going to be some horror movie situation so i just don't worry about it. i figure there are plenty of ppl that have moved to hawaii and managed to survive the creatures, so i should be fine. if you think about it & make it an issue then it's gona be. i just push those fears to the back of my head. there's pleanty of other things to worry about lol

good luck w/ your move!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
The wife got bit by something the other day she went to trim some hedges and was bitten on the leg almost instantly within an hour the welt was 2" dia. and getting bigger. She wasn't digging or turning up stones just cliping ranches any idea what is could have been?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 AM

138 posts, read 355,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
The wife got bit by something the other day she went to trim some hedges and was bitten on the leg almost instantly within an hour the welt was 2" dia. and getting bigger. She wasn't digging or turning up stones just cliping ranches any idea what is could have been?

A bug.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
A bug.
Probably a crab spider.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:07 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Probably a crab spider.
Mahalo,
I was ignoring the other response.
She said it sure did hurt!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:45 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
Where we live: detached dwelling, rural/suburban neighborhood, relatively wet area (but not as wet as Hilo or the N. shore of Kauai), Kauai

What we have: LOTS of garden spiders all around the property. A fair number of crab spiders as well. The occasional large cockroach (B-52) in the house. An ant problem (and yes, we keep our kitchen clean, or at least try very hard to; somewhat difficult with a 13-year-old). No termites. Never seen a cane spider, black widow, or scorpion.

Hubby has had a large centipede get on his hand when cleaning up construction debris in the yard; he shook it off before it bit him. The other day he ran into three of them while helping his friend prune coconut trees and gather the coconuts. Again, didn't get bitten. (I figure it's only a matter of time.) I have never seen one.

My son HATES spiders, and he doesn't even want to hang out the clothes if there's a spider web around the carport where the line is. But he's getting used to the idea of getting a long pole and knocking down the webs. (They 'grow back' in less than 24 hours, those guys are industrious!) For him, the spiders have been one of the nastier points of moving.

My mom also HATES any kind of bug or critter in her abode. She doesn't even like the geckos, but puts up with them. I would say for her the critters are one of the biggest drawbacks to living here.

For the rest of us, we basically don't mind them. (I think hubby takes pride in being so 'cool' when dealing with the centipedes, we'll see if that changes if/when he gets bitten!)

Old 02-08-2010, 03:57 PM

109 posts, read 410,120 times
Does treating the outside yard with granuals help at all. I know there is a product for fleas, ticks and others bugs? What about paying for a quarterly exterminator inside and out? If so, how much does it cost? Say a 1,500 to 2,000sqft home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii