Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these is your worst nightmare ?
Huge Flying Cockroaches 19 30.65%
Cane Spider 8 12.90%
Centipedes 33 53.23%
Black Widows 11 17.74%
Scorpions 8 12.90%
Happy Face Spiders 3 4.84%
Ants 4 6.45%
Termites 6 9.68%
I have no problem with any of them ! 5 8.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:14 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't want to get anything with bleach on the floor or walls of your home, let alone on any furniture (cloth, clothing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 02:40 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post
Have any of you tried spraying 'Clorox Clean-Up cleaner with bleach' Spray on the centipedes - I'd like to know how that compares to your general Raid - or anything else more potent you know of ? I know on other 'bugs' I have seen I have tried that clorox stuff and instantly they are dead....just wondered, anyone up for experimenting I would love to hear the findings.....
I use clorox cleanup on ants when they are on my stainless steel counter top. Works AWESOME. Just a quick spray and they are done. And you don't get that awful raid smell. Never tried on a centipede though. A shoe is the best weapon in my opinion. One wack. Slippahs are too flimsy.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:52 PM

82 posts, read 460,253 times
Well I am just curious if someone would try it (the clorox clean up on the centipede) just to find out what happens - does it disintegrate/melt (yuck) or just stop moving or what. Want to know before I would have to try it out !! Yeh franklin42, I agree not fond of that awful raid smell. The clorox clean up spray is potent stuff !! I don't think I would want to use my shoe to do the smashing - and my kids wouldn't go for their shoes having centipede remains on them either !!!

Old 10-08-2010, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,952 times
Hairspray works wonders. I hate roaches in Hawaii.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:06 PM

101 posts, read 249,519 times
Default I realize this is an old thread but...

I had to chime in on the spiders. The yellow and black (large) spiders are probably "writing spiders." They are harmless to humans but eat a ton of bugs. You can tell them by looking at their webs. There will be a white zigzag or pattern on the web. It is very distinct and this is what attracts the bugs. It is also how they got the name "writing spider."

We had them in Texas and the first time I saw one I almost fainted (I am allergic to insect venom). Since I am allergic (and it was too big for me to try to kill it), I googled it and found out it was harmless. I've seen them all over the big island and now find them pretty.

I also love the geckos (have seen one eating a very large brown spider). The cockroaches I can live without, but again having lived in Texas they don't scare me. In Texas we just saddle them up and ride them.

Not so fond of the black widows. We had those in California and here in Washington. They are venomous, but unless you have a compromised immune system or are very young or very old (or allergic like me), they will not kill you, they just might make you sick.

The thought of the centipedes terrifies me, though I have yet to see one in Hawaii. I will definitely be making friends with the bug-man.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:51 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
DON'T LOOK UNDER THE BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uuuurrrrpppp................

Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Don't many Asian cultures eat bugs? If so, maybe have a weekly Bug Fry?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:24 AM

14 posts, read 53,498 times
Default Bugs

There are no black widows in Hawaii!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii