Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 PM

16 posts, read 35,656 times

Advertisements

We are departing from LAX (driving first from Colorado to LA) shipping our van over.
Flying out from LAX to HNL unless we can now do all 4 animals on the same plane as us using United as KoaKine said to KONA. Our destination is The Big Island either side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:39 PM

KoaKine Aloha again:

I just looked at the United flights they are comparable with Hawaiian only $453 however they have two layovers. Did you and your dog have to go to two different cities also? They show Portland and then San Francisco. The flight did not get in until 7:20 p.m. way too late for a vet to come out and do the quarantine and that was leaving LAX at 7:25 in the morning too. How did you do it?
Antoinette

Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 PM

Aloha KoaKine:

Looking at the American Airlines trips to Kona from LAX one way same good price $860 per person. Who did you get to come out to the Airport in Kona to do your quarantine? I think they have a list of vets? Correct? Who did yours and how much did they cost? What were the hours they'd come out? How did you go about doing that? Is it more risky than having them released in Honolulu?
Thank you so much Antoinette

Old 05-24-2010, 08:59 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandantoinette View Post
We are departing from LAX (driving first from Colorado to LA) shipping our van over.
Flying out from LAX to HNL unless we can now do all 4 animals on the same plane as us using United as KoaKine said to KONA. Our destination is The Big Island either side.

United only flies to Kona not to Hilo direct . Also more important is that the vet to do the direct release is at Kona only she is very nice and you will need to make an app. with her in advance so you can do the release I can get you her number.

What was the hard part was for me was the flights I didnt want to spend the day running around from 1 end of HNL airport to the other and back trying to keep the dog happy.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
KoaKine Aloha again:

I just looked at the United flights they are comparable with Hawaiian only $453 however they have two layovers. Did you and your dog have to go to two different cities also? They show Portland and then San Francisco. The flight did not get in until 7:20 p.m. way too late for a vet to come out and do the quarantine and that was leaving LAX at 7:25 in the morning too. How did you do it?
Antoinette
Aloha ,

United has 2 flights direct to Kona from LAX it was the only flight I could find direct from the west coast. ( I have a 100lb dog in an exl crate no other airline would take her)

Quote:
Aloha KoaKine:

Looking at the American Airlines trips to Kona from LAX one way same good price $860 per person. Who did you get to come out to the Airport in Kona to do your quarantine? I think they have a list of vets? Correct? Who did yours and how much did they cost? What were the hours they'd come out? How did you go about doing that? Is it more risky than having them released in Honolulu?
Thank you so much Antoinette
The cost for me wasnʻt an issue it was the cost and the few flights I could find . I did get lucky with United it costs $250.00 for the Dog flat rate and they were great with her.
! vet in Kona ya Only 1 but she is great I canʻt say that to much. Vet fee in Kona was $145.00 . She came to the airport and released 2 dogs that day it took ten minutes was faster than the baggage.
The risk from Kona, HNL, Maui are the same its the paper work that passes . The vet will check the health of the animal also to see if they came through the flight well.

Koa

Old 05-25-2010, 10:42 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDDS View Post
Hi Everyone,
If you've moved a large dog...I need your help. Which airline kennel did you purchase? Pup (Boxer Mix) will be over 60 pounds when we move to Oahu. How did you manage picking up the kennel? I've researched the brand "Dog Whisperer" that is on wheels, but it didn't get good reviews. Just trying to figure out how I will get the pup from car to the airport checkin line.

How did you manage....
Do not get the Dog Whisperer crate with wheels, I used that one and it flips over.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Have you considered Pacific Air Cargo out of LAX? They have no size or weight requirments. And the maximum number of animals I think is 150 per flight. If you want some info on the logistics of transporting a pet to hawaii, you can DM me and 'll give you some straight up advice.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Aloha KoaKine:
Mahalo plenties for your response. The trauma of the dogs going from the airplane in HNL to the Big Island is probably not an issue when going direct from LAX to Kailua-Kona. And worth paying the $145 to the Kona vet. When I took the dogs before HI air did not charge me for them interisland. But who knows each flight is different. My husband just agreed that it IS better to fly the AA direct to Kona. The main thing is to call this lady vet and make SURE she is punctual. But since we know FIRST hand you had used her, we will feel comfortable with her. I thank you SO VERY MUCH for all the advice! We have decided to just leave everything to go home. Matson raised their costs by over $800! So that $8,000 we can use to go home and see what the condition of our house and yard in after being gone 3 1/2 yrs. with renters that never paid etc. It's been a long night mare. I will never leave home again. As we say your worst day in Hawai'i is better than your best day on the mainland. I can't wait to get home to the aina! What kind of dog do you have?
Aloha Antoinette
Oh one more thing we thought about. Is the $145 fee per animal? In HNL we also have a $165 fee for the quarantine. I was under the assumption that the $145 vet fee for Kona release was on TOP of that. Correct?
I am looking the lady's name up now in my quarantine papers.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-25-2010 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: advertising/persona; websites are not allowed here. thanks.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:36 PM

Aloha KonaKine:

Here is what I found from calling the HNL quarantine station: It is only $145 instead of the $165 in HNL. But she said the vet fee is OVER THAT! So I have to call the vet. Years ago I took my dog to Keauhou vet but then they changed hands and they threw out all the old records. So I am kind of leary about using them. Which one did you use?

"Owners must contract with and make reservations for inspection with: Kona Veterinary
Service (808) 325-6637 or Keauhou Veterinary Hospital (808) 322-2988 for Kona arrivals;"

Antoinette

Old 05-25-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Aloha KoaKine:
Mahalo plenties for your response. The trauma of the dogs going from the airplane in HNL to the Big Island is probably not an issue when going direct from LAX to Kailua-Kona. And worth paying the $145 to the Kona vet. When I took the dogs before HI air did not charge me for them interisland. But who knows each flight is different. My husband just agreed that it IS better to fly the AA direct to Kona. The main thing is to call this lady vet and make SURE she is punctual. But since we know FIRST hand you had used her, we will feel comfortable with her. I thank you SO VERY MUCH for all the advice! We have decided to just leave everything to go home. Matson raised their costs by over $800! So that $8,000 we can use to go home and see what the condition of our house and yard in after being gone 3 1/2 yrs. with renters that never paid etc. It's been a long night mare. I will never leave home again. As we say your worst day in Hawai'i is better than your best day on the mainland. I can't wait to get home to the aina! What kind of dog do you have? If you have an interest check out our really GREAT web site www.BestRockyMountainGoldens.com
Aloha Antoinette
Oh one more thing we thought about. Is the $145 fee per animal? In HNL we also have a $165 fee for the quarantine. I was under the assumption that the $145 vet fee for Kona release was on TOP of that. Correct?
I am looking the lady's name up now in my quarantine papers.

Aloha.
my dog is a Bernese Mountain dog big Big nice happy. Big is why I had to go United because no other Airlines would take her I would have to go Cargo Thru HNL I didnʻt want to do that.
Yes the $145 is on top of the permit fee two different places .
I will Dm you the name and number of the vet I canʻt post this in public.

Oh YA and to the OP sorry iʻm slow but the Crate I used for the large dog was a Veri Kennel by pet mate

Koa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii