Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM

109 posts, read 410,248 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
If you've moved a large dog...I need your help. Which airline kennel did you purchase? Pup (Boxer Mix) will be over 60 pounds when we move to Oahu. How did you manage picking up the kennel? I've researched the brand "Dog Whisperer" that is on wheels, but it didn't get good reviews. Just trying to figure out how I will get the pup from car to the airport checkin line.

How did you manage....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:02 PM

229 posts, read 929,676 times
AFDDS,

I sent you a detailed direct message. I hope it helps.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 PM

I'm so glad this forum is here and there is NOT a price tag for all the great information and help! Priceless!

Thanks again for the private messages.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,043 times
From what I understand the airlines don't like the wheels on there crates and the wheels break off to easy. I went thru dogs.com to find the cheapest one for my dog she is 100lbs + the only thing that I have had to deal with is the airlines want metal bolts that assemble the 2 halves and they come with plastic wing nuts I spent all of 6 dollars at home depot replacing these to come to compliance.

I hope this helps

Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,185,715 times
Depending on which airline you go with. Crate and dog is the weight.

Again I went with Hawaiian which then makes you go to cargo if over 70lbs. I just brought crate in walked dog around for an hour after checking in then loaded him into the crate. No moving myself.

Then in Honolulu they brought dog out on crate on wheeled cart- me and taxi driver lifted him in taxi. At cargo again did the same thing - let him out - they moved the crate offered to let him go potty and get him water even though we were over an hour late. I didn't lift anything.

If checking into luggage - use the luggage carts to get into the airport. don't stand in line dogs get to go in the express line. and they do the lifting.

If you are flying cargo head up your suppose to check in the dog 90 minutes plus - in Seattle it was almost 3 hours ahead of schedule, and in Hilo they only accept them going to mainland at 8am even though my scheduled flights is for 10:30am. If stopping inter island schedule this into your itineray.

and the metal bolts I brought with me - replaced all the corners - they didn't care - but I have them with me just in case!!!

Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 PM

16 posts, read 35,673 times
Aloha NWCountry Gal:

We are going home finally! After 3 1/2 yrs. on the mainland in Colo.
I am "really concerned" as to HOW I am going to get my 3 goldens and the cat to be allowed to fly interisland! Mokulele said no pet that won't fit under the seat period.
I see in Hawaiian Air it says the pet must weigh 70 WITH the crate. The crates alone are 25 pounds!
My dogs weigh 70. I breed pedigree goldens.
So is it TRUE that Hawaiian will send them over 70 at checked baggage? Or is their cargo the same?
Where does the Cargo go? If they go Cargo? Another plane?
I remember when I left it was on the same plane but they were little then not over the 70 lb limit. So where is Cargo in HNL for Hawaiian Air? A whole different area of the airport? You just did this recently?
We are leaving next month and sadly leaving everything as Matson was just way to expensive to take our things. So once again starting over! Matson raised their prices by $800 in 6 months.
If you have any ideas please feel free to let them fly on the key board here. Thank you Antoinette Oh we live on the Big Island Hawai'ian Parks Subdivision end of Hawai'ian Beaches.

Last edited by islandantoinette; 05-24-2010 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: add location

Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times
What island are you departing from?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:17 PM

islandantoinette- the only airline that I could find that would fly my dogs in the summer months was Continental Airline and their PetSafe program. Hawaiian Air won't take the dogs in the summer months.

We are active duty and the gov. won't pay Continental rates (no contract), so the dogs are flying Cont. and we are flying Delta. Check out their web site. I've called several times with questions and they have been great. Continental Airlines - Traveling with Animals

We have a boxer mix and a Jack

Can't wait to get there!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,043 times
I flew myself and my dog out from LA to Kona on United it was in March but they were very good . Large dog ex large crate .

Old 05-24-2010, 08:27 PM

16 posts, read 35,673 times
Aloha KoaKine:

I checked into Kona and they said I would have to pay extra for the vet who comes out to do the quarantine release in Kona vs. Honolulu.
But we are finding that to fly on American Airlines which is what we thought was the ONLY carrier that will allow dogs and the crate to be OVER 70 pounds (remember the crate alone is 25 lbs) BUT maybe United WILL allow the large crate with a 70 lb dog as under the plane baggage. You BOTH flew on the same plane? I know that Hawai'ian will only allow 3 animals per plane period so they were out even though they were certainly the cheapest. What flight cost did you pay with United?
Do you remember? The AA is 877 each really high! Animal fees $150 per animal. We have 3 dogs and a cat. Two of the animals had come from The Big Island originally.
We did all the quarantine stuff. And if we could do a United to Kona for less and have all the animals on the same plane that means no interisland flights either! Another saving. We'd rent a van in Kona and drive over to puna.
Any more info you can give me would be absolutely GREAT. You used the BIGGER crate than the 500 series (large) the extra large is a 600.
Antoinette

Last edited by islandantoinette; 05-24-2010 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: addition of flight cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii