Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:35 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,605,821 times

Advertisements

Reiterate the "get it in writing"...it's not a snotty answer and any employer worth their salt will do it. If they DON'T...well, others have been lured by the prospect of living in Hawaii. Remember, while they are inteviewing you, you should be interviewing and evaluating THEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 11:00 AM

40 posts, read 79,891 times
I myself am moving with my dog to Oahu at the end of the summer. I would move sooner, however, our dog is what's holding us up. You must have a health certificate given to you from a USDA approved vet. If you have your dog taken care of on the mainland before you leave it takes 4-6 months. It's mostly rabies vaccines and testing. It just takes time. She will still need to be quarantined up to 5 days in Honolulu. If you chose to bring her now and have her rabies testing done in Honolulu she can be quarantined from 30-120 days. Good Luck!!

Old 02-21-2010, 01:16 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
It's generally a 120 day quarantine if it is done in Hawaii. In state run kennels where you can visit the dog for several hours a day and it costs thousands of dollars by the time it is all said and done. My sister-in-law's dog went through the quarantine (this was way back before they had the mainland quarantine option) and her dog had huge behavioral problems afterward. He forgot all his previous house training, leash training, etc. and had to be completely retrained. Another friend paid to have his cat go through quarantine and then ten days after he got it to it's new home it ran away.

If there is any way to move to Hawaii without the pets in tow, it would be a much easier transition.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:32 PM

129 posts, read 536,148 times
I didn't have much of a problem with bringing our dog- it was just two vet visits, and her certificate, and it was just looked over in Honolulu, and away we went- no problems at all. Maybe cost us $250 all said and done.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
Was this for a small dog or a big dog? I've heard quotes of twice that for just airfare for bringing a big dog into the state.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,303,635 times
What was the job?
And, it isn't rude to advise getting it in writing; in fact if it wasn't in writing I would definitely be wondering why it couldn't be.
That, from me to you (TaraBara); is called profoundly insightful advice.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
Hi <> I just had my 2 cats rabie's tested today [175.00 each] -test head out to Kansas for testing and then 2-3 wks for results. The 120 day waiting period starts when the test ctr receives the blood work. We figured about $1600.+ to get both our cats to Hawaii. I think the suggestion to leave your dog with a good friend while you get settled is a good idea. take care

Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM

41 posts, read 112,976 times
In a word... from $ to attiudes against whites, to the myopic pov...

DON't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraBara View Post
I’m looking for some advice and input about moving to Hawaii.

A bit of background: I currently live in Georgia, and have been unemployed for some time now. Gone on countless interviews locally, but so far, no dice. Because of this, I’ve expanded my job search nationwide. On a whim, I applied to a job in Hawaii (Honolulu). I fit the job description perfectly, and was really drawn to the position.

A few days ago, I had a phone interview with the employer, and (I think) it went really well. I’ll find out next week, if he calls me for the second round of interviews. If hired, he said I should be prepared to move within the next month or so.

I now find myself scrambling to learn anything and everything about Hawaii. Of course it’s beautiful down there, but I’m not naïve. I know it costs a pretty penny to live down there, among other things I need to consider. To further add to my concerns, I’m not exactly sure how much this employer would pay me if hired.

I’m in no position to buy a house, so I’d have to rent. Judging from what I’ve seen, the average apartment runs $1,000 per month (more or less). If less, I’d probably have to go without central heating and air. Or maybe not?

I also have a dog. I know there’s a lot of paperwork involved in getting her down there, although I haven’t really looked into this just yet. God only knows how much it would cost to relocate her. One thing’s for sure…I can’t NOT bring her with me.

Aside from the dog, it’s just me. No family to support or take care of. On a similar note, I have absolutely no one in Hawaii to help me out or show me the ropes. Kind of scary, now that I think about it.

Then there’s the question of my furniture and other belongings. How does someone from the mainland transfer these items? Should I just sell them and repurchase if/when I get there?

I guess I’m just looking for some homespun advice on my situation. Of course, I don’t even have the job yet, but in the event that an offer IS extended to me, I’m trying to get some ducks in a row. I don’t want to move to the island, only to end up broke and stranded because I didn’t research.

Please lend me any advice you might have. Thanks so much for reading this!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,706,923 times
Hawaii is a great place to live. There are some hard issues like cost of living, the limits on some types of jobs (your on an island out in the ocean), high housing cost due to everything having to be brought in, and limits on what goods you normally can find anywhere on the mainland that may not be available on Hawaii.

To be sucessful on Hawaii you have to research everything and not make a rash move based on a vacation experience.

Hawaii is still another state so everything you experience on the mainland you will experience on hawaii, just in a different way. take the racial issues, On the mainland the majority of "whites" don't really experience racial issues. They may be the ones dishing it ourt without realizing it. When they come to hawaii, they are now the Mexicans, Arabs, Asians, Hindi's, Africans of the mainland. So if anything (and I mean anything) is even remotely said that has any racial tone, they FREAK OUT! You would not belive how a simple little look of displeasure (just like anyone give each other on the mainland when a person does something that is disliked) and the look has nothing to do with race, will be turned by whites into the racial nuke attack on them.

They will flip out, grab the family and pets and run like the wind to the airport, cursing out Hawaii all the way. Everything they say from there on out will be negative. They will say the water is bad, they will say the air is bad, they will say everything is bad because of the racial assult on them. They will even blame global warming and the economic crisis on racial issues on hawaii with whites.

The whole world is about to collapse because of the hatred for whites.

Truth is, most time its has nothing to do with the race or racial issues. Bet half the times race was never an issue. What happened was the person is just a failure. They failed on hawaii and probably would have failed wherever they were. They just could not make it because they were not set properly to live on Hawaii, Most of the problems was because they didn't propely plan and research the move or they are just plain nothings.

That makes it hard for them to admit they were just plain old failures in life, so they blame something that has nothing to do with them, they blame racial hatred towards whites. The color of their skin isn't something they could control like not making enough money, or having a failed business plan, or living above their means and are running into cash problems, or the idea that they are smarter than locals proved false as smarter locals are getting ahead because of their brains, or they are just unhappy because the vacation they dreamed of all day is not reality.

You will see these people because every post about every subject, they will make about racial problems. Every comment about food will turn into race. Every topic on good suntan lotion will turn into race. Every conversation about a good B&B on one of the other islands will turn into race.

Ignore those people, they are just pissed because they are failures in life and can't admit it so they blame race and want the world to know it wasn't them that were the real failures in life, but some racial whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: