Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:56 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times

Advertisements

Getting the drivers license requires no real proof of residence. Getting the ID does. Proof can be in the form of a utility bill in your name/address, rental agreement, etc. Just get the drivers license - it is easier and more accepted by businesses than the ID card (which doesn't make sense, i know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 02:01 PM

What, exactly, is your need for "proof of residence"? We can generalize all day long, but if you don't say the specific need, no one can really help you. Different things require different lengths of time or other requirements.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
I am interested in this question, too. We are going to be snowbirds soon (retiring in June) and plan to spend at least six months of the year at our house in the Big Island. Since we've owned the house for five years, I have lots of proof of paying all of the utilities.

So it looks from reading this thread that we can keep our driver's license in the state where we currently live, AND get a Hawaii State ID card for the kama'aina stuff? I looked through the County website and didn't see a discussion of this issue.

Thanks for the great advice.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,853 times
I'm on permanent Federal Disability (SSD) and age 57. I am considering a move to Maui and am curious the amount of time it will take to qualify for Medicaid (cannot qualify for Medicare due to age) and qualify for low-income housing (I make $998/mo on SSD). I will drive my 2000 Buick LeSabre to California, ship it and be on my way to deploy a glorious Hawaiin departure from this Earth when my expiration label appears on my forehead (lol). Anybody out there with knowledge of that which I ask? No more Michigan winters for me (AND Michigan is a BEAUTIFUL state).

Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53vette View Post
I'm on permanent Federal Disability (SSD) and age 57. I am considering a move to Maui and am curious the amount of time it will take to qualify for Medicaid (cannot qualify for Medicare due to age) and qualify for low-income housing (I make $998/mo on SSD). I will drive my 2000 Buick LeSabre to California, ship it and be on my way to deploy a glorious Hawaiin departure from this Earth when my expiration label appears on my forehead (lol). Anybody out there with knowledge of that which I ask? No more Michigan winters for me (AND Michigan is a BEAUTIFUL state).
Ain't gonna happen. There is a HUGE waiting list for the housing on all islands. I have heard of 5+ year waits.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,623 times
My mother-in-law is 91 yr old and is planning a move to Hawaii. What must she do to qualify for residency and , subsequently, Medicaid assistance?

Old 11-24-2011, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,166 times
My family wish to locate to Hawaii in a few years,and our plan is to buy a propety now,somewhere in Hawaii(Oahu) And wait and see if we are approved and excepted to live permantly in the U.S. As we will need to apply through the Diversity Visa...Is there another way of doing this,as we will be retired,and will not need to work,do we need to still get a green card?How can we prove we will not be a financial burden on the U.S. Goverment.. Also can we open a bank account now in Hawaii even if we are non residence..

Old 02-11-2015, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,906 times
Typically you become a resident of a state by obtaining that state's driver's license, a residence (housing) in that state, by voting, and paying taxes in that state. Just a license of that state isn't enough. Proof of residence is proof of where you live, not necessarily the state you are a resident of- it could be a mortgage statement, rental agreement, utility bill in your name, or the address on your license if it has your current correct address. My husband is military with a residence in Hawaii (where we currently live) but he does not vote, pay state taxes to Hawaii, nor does he have a Hawaii license. His state of residence is Tennessee, where he was born, lived and joined the military in as well as has a TN driver's license. He votes by absentee vote in TN elections and would pay their state tax if they had one.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:37 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
True, that's a typical "residency", however, depending on the exact reason one requires "residency" there may or may not be different requirements. It's usually best to ask the agency which requires the residency what their requirements are. Just offhand, I can think of residency requirements for:

1. "Kamaaina" discounts
2. tax purposes
3. in state student tuition rates
4. low income housing
5. voting
6. etc., etc. etc.

Each of those have different "residency" requirements as far as I know. Shootz, maybe you even have to be a resident to get a library card. That would probably even have different requirements. So, it's best to ask the individual agencies what they require, it would save ever so much guessing.

Although most of these posts are from 2010 but some of the information might still be of use to folks who are considering Hawaii residency for whatever reason.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 PM

182 posts, read 356,426 times
Our 18 year-old daughter was told that to be considered a resident for tuition purposes at UH she had to reside in Hawaii for a period of one year, and could not take any courses at the University or community college during that time because that would show that she had come here for the purpose of attending school and not establishing residency. Proof of residency after a year could include having a job and having Hawai'i state taxes withheld, getting a Hawai'i driver's license, opening a bank account, registering to vote, and so forth during the year.

In the meantime, she would remain an Oregon resident for tuition purposes (supposedly). She returned to Oregon at the end of last year in order to maintain her residency status there, but is now afraid that UO is going to claim she relinquished OR residency when she came to Hawai'i with us last June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: