Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:37 PM

747 posts, read 2,760,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
A little clarifcation, I can --kind of-- swim, as in dog paddle slopply from one end of a pool to the other, however in any type of water with a current, I am a goner. The soon-to-be-wife and I are heading to Maui for 7 days in October. I found some non-water activities, or at least not water focused. Road to Hana, the crater, etc. It seems like I can still enjoy myself, but I just wanted to ask.

I do plan on buying a slick life jacket to wear at times, you know just in case, but I am not completely petrified of the water.

So, will I be missing out on the best stuff, and worse case scenario, will I have trouble enjoying myself (and hindering my wife from having fun) for 7 days?
I can almost guarantee you will love Maui. We were there in Jan. Road to Hana, Haleakhala crater, etc etc Don't be afraid to go snorkeling, by definition it means you are always at the surface. Any self-respecting tour boat operator will have those (yellow) floatation belts as optional equipment. Just wear one while snorkeling and you'll be fine. Snorkel at ease because you'll never have to worry about drowning. Even if the current picks up a little (which it did towards the end of our trip) you'll be getting some water through your snorkel and may have to come out just due to inconvenience, but there's a 99.9999999% impossibility of drowning while wearing the belt/floatation device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:40 PM

747 posts, read 2,760,272 times
PS: if you're a little prone to motion sea sickness (or don't know if you might be) keep a little dramamine/bonine or whatever it is on hand.... my wife actually needed it on the road to Hana but never on the waters off Maui.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:09 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Surprisingly enough, the percentage of folks who go to Hawaii and actually get in the ocean is rather low, somewhere less than fifty percent. I think I heard it was even as low as twenty percent so you won't be the only one doing things other than swimming in the ocean. A lot of folks go to the beach and don't even get in the water. Heck, I have even seen "swimsuits" which had a "dry clean only" tag on them.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:24 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,889,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Yes, I have looked into adult LTS (learn to swim) classes before, but my pride usually gets in the way-- I am embarassed I cannot swim. I may have to swallow my pride this time though!
Don't be embarrassed! My dad grew up on a farm in the midwest, and was in WWII glider planes dropped over Normandy on D-Day and he couldn't swim! There are plenty of people who haven't had lessons.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:53 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,493,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but why would you choose to go to Hawaii if you can't swim? That just seems really dumb to me. Yes, you will absolutely miss out on things. I would go to a swimming class and learn. I think learning to swim is equivalent to learning how to drive. You can go through life not knowing, but it makes life a lot less fun! Not to offend, but I thought everyone knows how to swim by the time they are 10 or so. Maybe that's because I grew up in CA and we all have swimming pools and the beach.
We wanted to go somewhere neither of us had ever been, and that ruled out a lot of the world. Do you have any specifics of activities that you are refering to--instead of just calling me dumb? I know we will miss out on surfing obviously, but she can still do it. If you thought everyone over the age of 10 knew how to swim, you must have not met very many people, or are not well traveled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Don't be embarrassed! My dad grew up on a farm in the midwest, and was in WWII glider planes dropped over Normandy on D-Day and he couldn't swim! There are plenty of people who haven't had lessons.
Wow, thats amazing. God bless him

Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 AM

28 posts, read 113,234 times
I would agree with other posts that said you should take swimming lessons before you go. If you do the adult swim class, you would be surrounded by people just like yourself, so I don't think embarrassment would come into play.

I agree, the post that started with "I don't want to be rude" was kinda rude. I think there just is some surprise with those who swim that someone is unable to do it. It's really quite easy. It's one of those things that anyone can do, as long as they learn how. And it wouldn't take long for you to get the hang of it, once you start lessons. It's not like it's going to take months in the pool.

Bottom line...learn how to swim and enjoy that ability the rest of your life, even after Hawaii.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,055 times
I live on Maui and we have guests (children/teens/adults) all the time who cannot swim or are not comfortable on the water. We have guests who "practice" snorkeling in our pool, which is kind of smart, but looks a little goofy. Most of these people end up in the water or out on boats eventually. Some of it is a comfort and confidence thing. I "buddy-snorkeled" with my cousin's 18-year-old daughter because even after she'd tried all the flotation gear in the pool, the waves unnerved her in the ocean. We keep a view-board (like a boogie board but with a built-in mask) for people who are afraid to be in the water, but want to see the fish and coral.

Most people just relax or play in the resort pools, and most commercial snorkel trips have instruction and close supervision (or one-on-one options) for inexperienced snorkelers. The Coast Guard requires all boats to give safety instructions including the location and operation of vests and rafts.

Maui has lots of beaches with sandy bottoms that are gentle and safe to walk, float, and play in. (Please don't walk on our coral!) If the tide is crashing at the shoreline, just take a walk until you see a flat spot, wait until the tide changes, or try another day. Sometimes we just sit on the beach without bothering to get in. There are so many ways to enjoy the water, I don't see how you could "be miserable."

Best of luck and e komo mai.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:43 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but why would you choose to go to Hawaii if you can't swim? That just seems really dumb to me. Yes, you will absolutely miss out on things. I would go to a swimming class and learn. I think learning to swim is equivalent to learning how to drive. You can go through life not knowing, but it makes life a lot less fun! Not to offend, but I thought everyone knows how to swim by the time they are 10 or so. Maybe that's because I grew up in CA and we all have swimming pools and the beach.
For real? That was really unnessesarily rude, I don't care how many times you put "not to be rude". There are many things to do other than swim. If someone went to Hawaii just for swimming, you'd probably think that's dumb, right? Your post was pretty much pointless.

As for the OP, I went and couldn't swim very well. I just stayed close to the shore. I do want to learn to swim better, though. I think you should try to learn since you have some time before you go, but it definetly won't be horrible if you don't.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 PM

155 posts, read 516,432 times
I just got back from Hawaii a couple weeks ago and was busy the entire time. I flew to Moloka`i to hike Kalaupapa, did a kayak tour out to the Mokulua's, hiked the Koko Crater Stairs, took a surfing lesson, and got a new tattoo (ok not everyone does the last thing ). I did more water activities on this trip; last year I maybe got in the water twice to float a little-never deep enough that I couldn't stand on the bottom (sandy not coral). Just to clarify, I can swim and was a lifeguard for a summer back home but still the point is, and other people have made it, there is tons to do that is not water-related. The hiking in Hawaii is stupendous!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:19 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,056,510 times
I don't think it's a big deal that you don't know how to swim. You can still enjoy the water. Although I know how to swim, we didn't swim that much when we went to the Bahamas. We did however go to the beach alot and just hung out in the shallow end or went deep enough where we could stand comfortably. It's just nice being in the blue warm water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii