Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 PM

152 posts, read 117,047 times

Advertisements

Is that swimming, like in the water, or in the water bed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 03:19 PM

206 posts, read 711,847 times
When we were in Oahu last June the water there was really really smooth and we could wade out really far and I'm not that great a swimmer either. Of course there is always a chance of a big wave coming.. better to be safe than sorry.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 PM

53 posts, read 135,608 times
Alohikea what tattoo did you get?

I love the beach but I haven't been swimming since I was a kid. I don't count wading up to your thighs as swimming. Actually I haven't even done that in the last decade as I always visit the beach in winter. I love tidal pools, the vegetation you get on shorelines, walking the beach for miles, just watching the waves. It would not have occurred to me that not swimming would be a handicap and I think you will have a great time whether you swim or not!

I do think the suggestion of lessons is a good one, might do that myself if I'm looking at that kind of vacation. I had them as a child but I doubt I can do much more than doggie paddle now.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
As many have said, there's plenty to do here on Maui without needing to swim. Hopefully just being on vacation will be a joy, and the fact that you are celebrating your new marriage should add to the delight.

I don't want to read too much into the question you ask, but if I'm going to give extended advice I'd say don't worry about what other people might think about you not swimming. If you tell someone you can't swim, and they are at all amazed, don't think that's necessarily a negative reaction either. It just doesn't occur to some that others never learned. No big deal.

Also one of the best reasons not to try to conform or impress is so that you don't get yourself into any trouble. Too many people (including those who swim well), try to go beyond their limits, and then the best outcome is getting rescued and being embarrassed. Even when wading out into thigh-high water, you have to keep an eye out for rogue waves, because you could get slapped down. Stay facing the ocean, not the shore, and be prepared.

If you plan to go into the ocean, you might want to stick with beaches where there are lifeguards. That will give you a sense of comfort and options, both for you and your wife, who may worry about you.

Speaking of your wife, hopefully you two are supportive of each other's limitations. You don't swim, and she may have other concerns in life where she needs you to be understanding and non-judgmental. If you are pushing it, she's going to be faced with asking you not to, and that might start a whole argument.

Just because you don't go out for a swim or snorkeling from shore, doesn't mean your wife can't. You can happily wait on the beach, enjoying the sun and sand, eating cold grapes and watching her swim around. She can come in, tell you all about the wonderful fishies, and then you can both go to the aquarium and have her point them out to you.

Sharing your good experiences in life is a wonderful thing.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
I kind of know how you feel, I swim and my wife, though knows how to swim, just doesn't really care about getting in the ocean. We've been to Maui twice and had plenty of fun both times even though not much of it was swimming. I recommend driving around the west side of Maui, from Lahaina around west end to Wailuku, check out Iao Needle. Shore break can be pretty harsh, be careful it doesn't knock you your backside if walking at waning tide!
Sincerely, you will have a great time, Maui is a beautiful place.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Too bad you weren't going to WAIKIKI BEACH....it is very shallow, great sand, and very kid-friendly....i.e. which means that adults who can't swim, will be more than fine there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii