Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 AM

26 posts, read 79,692 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to Hawaii in June. He is a teacher and is hoping to work in one of the schools. Right now he is "active" in Hawaii's school system. I was wondering if any teachers have been hired yet for 2010-2011 school year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 02:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
The Hawaii State Teachers Association is voting today on whether or not to continue with the furlough Fridays for the rest of this semester and next fall. However, the governor says there isn't enough money in the budget to cover the days even if they do reinstate them. So, is there enough budget to hire new teachers?

Teachers already in the system have priority on the new teaching positions opening up so for each teacher who gets their current position cut, they will have dibs on the available positions providing they meet the job qualifications. Does being "active" in the school system get him a teaching position? Can he do substitute teaching? That doesn't pay as much and it is sporadic but it might be a place to start.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,040,638 times
How can you be moving here without a firm job offer?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM

32 posts, read 149,813 times
How can you be moving here without a firm job offer?

I don't know what the OP has to say, but I think that is a good question... It leaves teachers in a lurch because they don't know whether to re-commit to their mainland jobs because HI hasn't notified them. In addition, it is difficult for someone like me who wants to commit to private HI schools for my kids but cannot until I know whether I can get a teaching job to pay for tuition (my husband will be working in HI, but we need the second income to afford private schools).

I just want to know whether class sizes are predicted to go up or remain constant. If school enrollment and class sizes remain constant, then that indicates to me that new teachers will be hired to replace retiring and resigning teachers. However, if administrators are being laid off, then those people might be first in line to want teaching jobs??

Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,528,527 times
Hawaii public school enrollment has been slowly dropping for a number of years. Private and charter school enrollments have been increasing, and at a faster rate than the decrease in public schools. This means that even though there are more total students, more parents are abandoning the public school system.

It would be a good idea if the OP looked into private and charter schools for a teaching position as they are the most likely ones to be hiring.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:42 PM

26 posts, read 79,692 times
We are planning on moving to Hawaii...it's not a definite, just planning. I guess another word would be "hoping." If my husband doesn't have a job, we'll move elsewhere. Either SC or GA

I know that over a thousand teachers leave Hawaii's school district, leaving that many openings. I understand that teachers are and may continue to be laid off...but on the other hand, with all these teacher cuts and different actions that's taking place in the school district, I'm sure other teachers are bound to quit, retire early, etc...

Oh, and to answer someone's question...being "active" means your name is in the school district's system, and you are in the clear to have a second interview. It doesn't guarantee a job, but it lets principals know that they can call you.

That's a great idea to look for jobs within charter schools and private schools. I'm sure we'll be resorting to that...

Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii