Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 23,991 times

Advertisements

How funny, I also moved to Hawaii from Indiana! I knew what I was getting into because I grew up in Hawaii, but it was quite an adjustment for my Hoosier husband. Not much culture shock because I prepared him for all that, but a fair amount of sticker shock was involved. Everything is waaaay more expensive here- you'd be going from one of the most affordable places to live to one of the least affordable. Housing is just the biggest expense, but gas and groceries are significant as well. Not to mention the cost of travel when you want to go back to visit family.

hotzcatz is correct about the pay cut, ours was just above 20%. Also prepare yourself for not only how much more expensive housing is, but also how much smaller it is. Most modest 3/2 houses are between 1000 and 1400 sf. No one has a basement here, but you do have year-round outdoor living, so if you have access to outdoor space, that could offset the smaller interior of the house.

It sounds like your husband will be working in Honolulu itself, so you will be dealing with a very large ammount of traffic at commute times. Almost everyone works in Honolulu, so it's pretty hard to avoid that traffic. If you'd like to get a good idea of what the traffic is like, you can watch a live stream of the local morning news at the Hawaii News Now website. They broadcast Monday through Friday from 5am to 8am Hawaii time, so that would be 11am to 2pm in Indiana right now. Watch the last half hour because that's when it really starts to pick up.

Living in town will obviously greatly reduce your commute time, but of course it would be more expensive. Manoa is very family friendly, and very beautiful if you're the kind of person who likes living in a serene green valley surrounded by lush tropical rainforests with daily rain showers (I was). It is also a little more expensive than Kaimuki which is much drier. They say if you don't like the weather in Indiana, wait 5 minutes. Well, if you don't like the weather in Hawaii, drive 5 blocks. It's amazing how different things can be in such a small area. Palolo Valley is next door to Manoa Valley, and directly behind Kaimuki. That might be another area to look into.

As far as schools go, private would be very very expensive, as they would be anywhere. I would do a lot of research on the public schools first and decide if that's really worth it to you. I know there are a lot of horror stories about the public schools here. Some stories are justified and some are exaggerated, so take everything you read with a grain of salt and remember that unhappy people are generally the most vocal. I am a product of the public school system in Hawaii and I feel that I was able to get a very decent education. The single most important thing is having a child that is applying himself and parents who are involved and supportive. There are some wonderful teachers in Hawaii, and they tend to gravitate towards the kids who are serious about learning. The one thing you really can't change is the relatively low funding that the schools get which translates to older more run-down facilities, and less things like computers and good libraries. It varies a lot from school to school, so do your research! You might want to think about homeschool options too. I'm not sure about Oahu, but Maui has a hybrid-homeschool that is very progressive academically. The kids go in to class once a week so they get some socalization, and the parents get a lot of support and guidance from real teachers. There may be something like that available on Oahu too.

For your monthly budget, expect to spend 60 to 80% more on groceries. Gas is a lot more expensive here (currently $3.50 - $3.90/gal) but we actually drive a lot less here because everything is so close together. We end up spending less on gas here! That would depend on your commute and where you have to go during the day though. Your clothing needs will go way down, so that's one area where you can save money. Try to get a place that has a solar water heater because it makes a big difference. Your electric bill will be much bigger than in Indiana if you run an air conditioner all the time and don't have solar. If you can avoid paying for electric water heating and really limit your ac, it might actually be less. That's another good thing about living back in a cool valley- you will save on the cost of cooling.

Good luck with everything, it's a lot to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 07:25 PM

160 posts, read 486,018 times
Wow, Hoosier invasion of the islands lol.

And Indiana basketball? Please, 2 words ruin that statement, they are Bob + Knight.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,554 times
i recommend that you seriously reconsider moving to hawaii. we moved here for a job not long ago and now we are moving back to the mainland. my wife and i each make what's usually considered high income in the top income tax bracket...however this doesn't take you very far here in hawaii. we were recently looking for a decent rental home in a decent area and prices ranged $3500-4000 a month. don't waste time checking out houses that are less than $3000 a month...no matter how good the pictures look on craigslist. and forget about the high rise condos in town--they are so small and cramped. public schools are a complete joke and private schools cost more than $15000 a year. plus the island fever is real...you can drive up to northshore only so much. people talk about the aloha spirit of the local people...which is only on the surface. they are no different than the people in mainland. yeah, i sound bitter but it was the biggest mistake coming here in the first place. i can't wait to get out of this "paradise".

Old 04-18-2010, 02:54 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen OBRN View Post
My husband is considering a job offer in Honolulu. We have 2 kids - ages 5 and 8. I am wanting to know what areas to look for affordable, family friendly housing. We will want to just rent. Also, is it hard to find something that is partially furnished? What is a reasonable about to expect to pay for a 3 bed/2 bath house or condo?

From the sound of the school systems there, we would want to send our kids to a private school. How much does it typically cost for tuition a year there? Is it hard to get into the private schools?

The biggest deciding factor at this point is determining what kind of income we will need to life comfortably there. We are not even sure what to expect to be a reasonable income for a middle class person to live comfortably. I've read that the cost of living there is 80% higher than where we live now. Is it reasonable to expect a company to pay him 80% more than his salary here? That sounds too easy to be true! I am a RN and hopefully could find a job relatively well.

I appreciate any help, opinions or advice anyone wants to offer!

Thanks,
Jennifer

Personally, if I were to raise two kids out there with just my wife and I... 5k/month take home is the minimum. Most locals that make it on less live in multi-generational households and have aunty or grandma to help watch the kids and share the rent.

Your kids will have a hard time... they may adjust they may not, it really depends on them, but they will be made fun of at first. I don't care if you are asian/hawaiian/whatever... if they talk and dress like they are from Indiana they will be immediately be labeled an outsider... if they are caucasian they will have even more hurdles to get over. That is not to say that they can't adjust, many do, it will just be tough at first. If you want to shelter them a bit with private schools prepare to spend $10k/yr per child ($15k if you want Iolani or Punahou).

A decent, family friendly neighborhood near where your workplace is Liliha north of Judd Street. You are reasonably close to the Pali and H1. Costco is right down the hill and downtown Honolulu is nearby as well. Mostly old Japanese/Chinese families up there with some college kids as well. Lots of multi-generational homes and a fair amount of kids in the area. Crime is not too bad but people do break in to the houses from time to time. Just a fact of living in Honolulu, lock your doors and don't leave things laying out or they will dissappear. Most of the houses are older and a little rundown looking but there is the occasional gem in the $2000 - $2500 range like this one:

3/2/2 New Place to Call Home! Available Now! (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/1694275469.html - broken link)

Other things to keep in mind is that while the place is beautiful and the beaches are stunning, you don't really care that much when you are sitting in terrible traffic everyday and working 60hrs a week just to make ends meet.

the traffic is horrible:

Honolulu's traffic among worst in U.S. | starbulletin.com | News | /2008/06/18/

and the cost of living is one of the highest in the country:

Report: Honolulu most expensive U.S. city - Pacific Business News (Honolulu):

The people are relatively friendly, but not as friendly as they think they are. You will grow tired of hearing about the "mainland" and all the reasons why Hawaii is better. Im sure its just a reaction to people coming there and telling them how the place they came from was better... but it still gets old real quick.

On the upside, you get year-round warm weather, beautiful beaches, mountain views, rainbows everyday, a lot of asian/pacific ethnic diversity/culture, and some new experiences. For some people that is worth it and they thrive... most I have talked to miss home, their families, and their way of life. Nobody knows which you will be.

My advice is to think long and hard before making this move. If you were 25, single, and looking to spend a few years relaxing and having fun I would say do it in a heartbeat. But to have a family with young children and move from a place like Indiana with good schools, low cost of living, and midwestern hospitality is a huge risk, especially during a recession.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseasal View Post
The one thing you really can't change is the relatively low funding that the schools get which translates to older more run-down facilities, and less things like computers and good libraries.

I thought you offered a lot of good info. One thing I disagree with is this statement though. Hawaii is the highest in the country in terms of state contributions to the school systems (meaning it doesn't depend much on local funds, meaning budgets are the same for schools regardless of where they are.) Also, Hawaii ranked 14th out of 50 states in terms of per student spending (almost $1400 more than the national average per student per year).

State moves up in per-student spending - Hawaii News - Starbulletin.com

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/education/011747.html - broken link)

There are a lot of issues that the teachers in Hawaii have to deal with. Particularly cultural and language barriers. But per-student funding is not poor when compared to other states.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:04 PM

201 posts, read 823,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post

Your kids will have a hard time... they may adjust they may not, it really depends on them, but they will be made fun of at first. I don't care if you are asian/hawaiian/whatever... if they talk and dress like they are from Indiana they will be immediately be labeled an outsider... if they are caucasian they will have even more hurdles to get over. That is not to say that they can't adjust, many do, it will just be tough at first.
This probably depends a lot on age and location. We lived in Moanalua area, and my kids attended Red Hill elem. which was probably abut 40% military kids which means more diverse with newcomers, and they never experienced any bullying or difficulty adjusting. My caucasian kids were then in kindergarten and 4th grade and they attended that school for 2 yrs, I imagine it would be harder with older kids in other schools.

I'd suggest looking for areas around the military bases for just this reason- many new kids coming in every yr, being the new kid won't tag you as the automatic outsider.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariusmom View Post
This probably depends a lot on age and location. We lived in Moanalua area, and my kids attended Red Hill elem. which was probably abut 40% military kids which means more diverse with newcomers, and they never experienced any bullying or difficulty adjusting. My caucasian kids were then in kindergarten and 4th grade and they attended that school for 2 yrs, I imagine it would be harder with older kids in other schools.

I'd suggest looking for areas around the military bases for just this reason- many new kids coming in every yr, being the new kid won't tag you as the automatic outsider.

Thats good advice, I was limiting my ideas to town in order to avoid the traffic so I was thinking more of Kalani, Farrington, Mckinley, or Roosevelt school areas. If you are in a big transplant area things will definitely be easier on the kids.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 AM

[quote= But to have a family with young children and move from a place like Indiana with good schools, low cost of living, and midwestern hospitality is a huge risk, especially during a recession.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Sorry but Indiana schools were horrid. It's much like here, if you can afford private schools, they are ok, but public? Yuck. Not to mention most of the Indiana schools had adopted a uniform code. So even though your kids were getting crappy educations in public school, you had to go put out your own money for clothes they would never wear outside of school when they had perfectly good clothes at home. If your kid didnt conform to this, they would be sent home at first then suspended. Your kid misses 10 days in Indiana with no doctors excuse, you go to jail. I know because it happened to me. This includes they days they get sent home because you couldnt find their required belt in the morning, or god forbid, their was a logo on their polo shirt.
My kids went to public school here and now go to charter. None have had any problems because they are haoles. Maybe its just because they are younger?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
LOL. Sorry but Indiana schools were horrid. It's much like here, if you can afford private schools, they are ok, but public? Yuck. Not to mention most of the Indiana schools had adopted a uniform code. So even though your kids were getting crappy educations in public school, you had to go put out your own money for clothes they would never wear outside of school when they had perfectly good clothes at home. If your kid didnt conform to this, they would be sent home at first then suspended. Your kid misses 10 days in Indiana with no doctors excuse, you go to jail. I know because it happened to me. This includes they days they get sent home because you couldnt find their required belt in the morning, or god forbid, their was a logo on their polo shirt.
My kids went to public school here and now go to charter. None have had any problems because they are haoles. Maybe its just because they are younger?
LOL, were you in Gary or something? Evansville public schools treated my dad and cousins just fine. Indiana consistently ranks in the top 20 in the country on standardized math and reading tests, Hawaii is consistently in the bottom 5. I can't comment on the uniform thing, a lot of schools do that to reduce the problems of kids sagging their pants, showing too much skin, or feeling inferior because they cant afford brand names. I guess its a matter of opinion if you like it or not. Personally I could care less, but to some it is a big deal and I respect that.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 AM

No I wasnt in Gary, it was a town called Anderson. About 40 min east and south of Indianapolis.
My problem with uniforms is that my kids were at the time in kindergarten and first grade. There were no saggy pants and their couldnt possibly be any cleavage issues. The STAFF however could wear whatever they wanted and my sons teacher dressed like a *lady of the evening* consistently. The teachers should have had to wear the same awful clothes. My kids made the newspaper by rebelling with bright red mohawks, the 1st graders idea.
On top of all that they were required to wear belts. Kindergarteners, who some of which havent been potty trained that long, do not know how to operate belts in a timely fashion when they have never worn them before! Needless to say, the situation in kinder got literally messy quick. rofl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii