Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:43 PM

820 posts, read 3,042,904 times

Advertisements

Just checked to see which hike we did, and it was Kilauea Ike, which is listed as Challenging and 4 mile loop. I would not have thought I could complete a "challenging" hike, but I did! So I think the OP will have no problems at all.

Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park Hiking Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM

4,154 posts, read 11,033,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Thanks franklin, meadow, prof, badatta, and hawaii lover!

Everyone who has commented on this thread has added something of value for me in planning this trip. Thank you!

I'm a whiter shade of pale so will be sure to apply high spf sunscreen - often! Will heed the driving warnings and flashlights/water for the volcano too. Good to know about the wonky cell reception.

The lava tubes are on the list Probably won't be able to do the helicopter or atlantis (although, we did that in cayman and it was fun - it's what pushed me to snorkel there). Most of the snorkeling we'll do on our own but hope to do a tour that includes Capt Cook on the BI.

Have a feeling I'd be happy eating lau lau all week! Badatta that is a tempting offer you made! A trip up the windward coast of Oahu for a look at the North Shore (and some shave ice!) is on the agenda too Loving all the food recs! Malasadas are in my future

So helpful having the number to call about Hanauma Bay and knowing Tuesday is the day it's closed. Made a note about Shark's Cove too.

Had some reservations about a luau due to hokiness and totally touristy...but...a whole roast pig...hula...big party...poi...I dunno...think we've got to just take the plunge and be able to say we've done that once in our lives.

Heard of Diamond Head and was thinking of hiking it - will have to find some pics or more info to see what y'all are talking about with the steepness and stairs.

QUESTION: Can anyone comment if this potential itinerary makes sense?...
May 6: arrive Kona in pm and lodge there
May 7: drive to Waipio and maybe Waimea for the day
May 8: snorkel Capt Cook
May 9: check out of Kona and head south to Volcanoes - stopping along the way for snorkel or south point and such...check in at Volcanoes late afternoon
May 10: Volcano
May 11: check out of Volcanoes and tour along way to Hilo for flight to arrive in Oahu mid-late afternoon
May 12: Pearl Harbor, kole kole pass, north shore, sunset beach
May 13: snorkel, punchbowl, manoa falls, makapu'u lighthouse
May 14: diamond head (leave for airport 4pmish)

Might not be able to check in this week but will be back next weekend to see replies and respond. Thanks in advance to anyone else who chimes in - you guys are really pulling through for me!
I can only offer my 2 cents for the BI, I've never been to Oahu:

Do you have a place to stay in Kona area? If not I would like to recommend my friend's AMAZING (and inexpensive) Guesthouse & plantation in Captain Cook overlooking Kealakakua Bay:

Ka'awa Loa Plantation House | Kona, Hawaii Bed and Breakfast

Rentals for kayaks & snorkel gear, they are super nice here and very helpful:

Kona Boys - Welcome

Great food near there in Holualoa:

Holuakoa Cafe

and also on Mamalahoa Hwy:

Teshima's (Japanese)

& The Coffee Shack (doesn;t sound like much, but trust me it is awesome!)

and if you are driving south from there then you must stop at

Hana Hou reataurant in Naalehu totally old school great food

Old 04-25-2010, 04:34 PM

18,968 posts, read 11,645,216 times
I'm back from a week at my mom's and so happy to see more comments here Thank you Wiki, Meadow, Hank, Boo, Calico, and Bella! Terrific insights and links

Wishing we had even more time on the BI - just too big to do all or most of what we'd like. Besides snorkeling Capt Cook and hiking the volcano I think we have to find a way to see Hawi/Polulu Valley and South Point (even if SP is just for a look on the way to Volcano.)

In Volcano we expect to stay at the military lodge there. Will make a note about the other lodge for a meal, though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboo View Post
Also, one of my favorite things to do in Waikiki is to get up before sunrise (usually not too difficult with the jet lag) and head out for a swim at dawn. I actually just float on my back and watch the birds soar against the changing colors of the clouds while listening to the crackle of the snapping shrimp - very peaceful and refreshing.
On the upside it sounds like it's calm enough sometimes to float - hooray. On the side..."snapping shrimp"!?

Thanks for the encouragement and the first person feedback about that hike, Calico. I expect you're right that I can manage it even though it says "challenging." Good to know - thanks!

Bella, my husband is making the lodging arrangements so I will forward your link to him. Doubt that I'm up for kayaking and we're bringing our own snorkels/masks but might be able to find fins at the Kona Boys Loving the food recommendations - I'm all abut places that don't look like much but can turn out some good grub!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:26 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,196,346 times
Second the Coffee Shack!! Have fun!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:18 PM

63 posts, read 206,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post

On the upside it sounds like it's calm enough sometimes to float - hooray. On the side..."snapping shrimp"!?
LOL - they are harmless tiny things, but when they snap their claws shut (which they apparently do either for getting food or defining territory) it sounds like rice krispies.

As for the calm water, there is a lovely breakwater from Kuhio Beach Park to Kapahulu Ave.

If you go to Hawi, you have two awesome options for food: the Kohala Coffee Mill is a great little cafe with an amazing veggie bagel sandwich (cream cheese, field greens, luscious ripe tomatoes, onions and sprouts) and Tropical Dreams ice cream. I know it's just a veggie bagel and it shouldn't be anything special, but I will literally make the drive from Kona to get it when I am on-island. Bamboo Restaurant and Gallery has good food as well (and a lovely passion fruit margarita). It's even better if you can manage to be there when John Keawe is playing slack key guitar with his beautiful wife Hope dancing hula.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,196,346 times
In Hawi my favorite at night is Lukes. Hotel there also and the zip lines leave from there. Tuesdays I believe closed but has the best Korean Chicken for a cheaper price. Cozy little place with couch's and live music couple days of the week. The Inn is fairly cheap when you are comparing to resort prices.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:33 PM

493 posts, read 1,452,514 times
Tootsie, I hope that you are still here. Sorry, I just found your DM to me.

I can't offer too much advice on Oahu. We were in Honolulu about four summers ago because my wife had a conference at UH, but I can say that it was the least enjoyable time in six trips. But I will second Leonard's for Malasadas! I would stop for fresh, hot ones each day after taking my wife up to the university.

Diamond Head certainly is worth seeing, and we really enjoyed doing the loop drive up the east side of the island to the north shore and back down through the valley. There's a nice park near Chinaman's Hat that's right on the ocean.

South Point is really beautiful and serene. The day we were there it was just a few fishermen and some kids, who were diving off the cliff. They would dive in and come back up through the lava tube. Be sure that the company where you rent the car will allow you to take it there, though. I didn't realize this until afterward, but took a Monte Carlo out there with no problems; just had to take it slow in places. The road is unpaved and has some pretty big holes, and toward the end it's single lane. Harper's will allow their vehicles to be driven there, and also on the Saddle Road.

We hope to retire in Volcano, so we spend most of our time there. Last time we rented a nice two-bedroom house called Toad Hall from a woman in Honolulu who has it as a vacation home. It has all the comforts of home, including a full kitchen and a refrigerator stocked with bottled water and juice. I think there were eggs and bread for toast, and some fresh fruit provided. It's very reasonable. I can get details for you if you're interested. It's in the area where we hope to buy or build a retirement home. One of the fairways for the gold club runs behind the house, and a flock of wild turkeys occasionally passes by. Oops, I guess you're already committed to stay elsewhere.

Kilauea Lodge is wonderful for a special dinner. There is a Thai restaurant in the village, but we've never tried it.

Two of our favorites in Kailua-Kona are Bubba's Burgers and Killer Tacos. There is also a beautiful place to have dinner in the middle of a gated condo complex. All seating is outdoors, and the food is quite good. Sitting there and watching the sunset, as the ad says, "priceless!" Finishing our bottle of wine and watching the surf spray near us was amazing.

In Hilo, great loco moko at Cafe 100. Don's Grill for just plain good food; popular with the locals. Harrington's on the Ice Pond is a nice steakhouse for dinner.

If you drive north from Hilo, there are some amazing waterfalls along the highway.

If I think of other things, I'll put them out here.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:48 PM

124 posts, read 327,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboo View Post
If you go to Hawi, you have two awesome options for food: the Kohala Coffee Mill is a great little cafe with an amazing veggie bagel sandwich (cream cheese, field greens, luscious ripe tomatoes, onions and sprouts) and Tropical Dreams ice cream. I know it's just a veggie bagel and it shouldn't be anything special, but I will literally make the drive from Kona to get it when I am on-island. Bamboo Restaurant and Gallery has good food as well (and a lovely passion fruit margarita). It's even better if you can manage to be there when John Keawe is playing slack key guitar with his beautiful wife Hope dancing hula.
Sorry to keep adding to my comments here... but this is really good advice. I loved Hawi. And Tropical Dreams ice cream is SOOO good!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 PM

160 posts, read 487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Just checked to see which hike we did, and it was Kilauea Ike, which is listed as Challenging and 4 mile loop. I would not have thought I could complete a "challenging" hike, but I did! So I think the OP will have no problems at all.

Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park Hiking Page
Yeah thats a fun trail. Wear good socks! Hubby had to carry one of my sons about 1/4 of the way at the end due to raging blisters

Did anyone mention Hot Ponds. Not far from Volcano and kinda nice if you have sore muscles from the hike.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 PM

18,968 posts, read 11,645,216 times
Thanks nw, boo, jmlowman, meadow and badatta

Not leaving til morning of May 6 so am happy to keep finding new tid bits of info here! Loving all the food recs - definitely a big draw for us - doesn't have to be fancy - in fact, basic fare and dives tend to be favorites

You've definitely added to my list AND helped me narrow things down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii