Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,694 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! Hope you are having a nice day!
My name is Valeria and I'm from Russia! Me and my friend (a guy) are going to spend this summer in the US as the participants of the Work and Travel program 2010! We are really excited about it, as we like traveling and as our language skills are really good! (we study together at the University and our major is the English language).
The only problem is that we still got no job, however tried a lot of variants (surfing the net and asking our friends, etc.) - so far no luck.
We can do practically anything as we are experienced and organized!
Please, please, if you can help us or you know some positions which are available, we will be soooo grateful and happy!
We have our CVs all ready, I can also send some photos and a short video of how we talk.
Keeping my fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:38 AM

820 posts, read 3,040,680 times
Well that's interesting. The exact same message posted in the Philadelphia, Massachusetts, Myrtle Beach, West Palm Beach, New York, Illinois, and Fort Lauderdale forums too.

Sounds like the OP is willing to go many places.

Valeria, it is extremely unlikely that a Hawaii employer is going to hire you based on a video and email. Argentina has a work-abroad program, and we regularly see many youths here working labor or service jobs. They stay for a few months, sleeping many in a shared rental, driving beat up cars that they re-sell or abandon, or buying bikes to get to/from work. The ones we have met tell us that the work here was harder and more than they expected, the pay less, and that things all cost more than the program reps told them. Those in the program apparently had parents wealthy enough to kick in about $3000 in fees to the program, and they came here without having a job first. The determined landed and were immediately out looking for a place to stay and a job that same day.

A group rented the house next door, and left it filthy. We had problems with borrowed bikes not being returned, drama and fights, noise, and they would sit outside in the driveways of the neighborhood houses using laptops to surf the wireless of folks who didn't lock up their access.

That said, some of the people we know who hired them said they did OK work. Young and untrained, but did the labor and showed up for work. Not every one, some were flakes and bailed, but some did well.

My point is just that there are already many people arriving here, both US citizens and international visitors, who are looking for work in person. You looking for work via mass-blast posts probably isn't going to be very successful.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
Check into WWOOFing. That's Willing Workers On Organic Farms and there is a website for it. You can WWOOF in many different countries, including the United States. The pay is very minimal, if at all, but you do get a place to sleep and at least one meal a day. You usually don't have to work all day for the bed and meal, so you have time to go see the area as well. Each WWOOF spot is different, though, so you have to check around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii