Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,068 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your heart felt post. So much truth. I have heard all that you say from my mother who grew up on Oahu. Thanks again. Aloha.

OTE=Wai‘anaeGrad04;20851144]Iʻm a caucasian-mix male born in 1986 and raised in Makaha and then Nanakuli. I love Hawai‘i. I love Wai‘anae. But I can tell you without a doubt that I grew up with - and still experience - anti-white racism. I have a ton of friends. I am a nice guy who doesnʻt invite trouble and aims to please. I am respected by people in the community that matter. But there is and always will be racial undertones to many conversations, many activities, and many actions that goes beyond simply recognizing oneʻs uniqueness and the differences of others.

As a kid I was called "haole" by people who didnʻt know the meaning of the word. As an adult I get called "haole" by people who donʻt know I grew up in Wai‘anae and graduated from Wai‘anae High School and live and work in Wai‘anae. Sometimes this is from people who have a problem with me, or tease me under their breath. But sometimes it is to my face and in the spirit of aggression and malevolence.

When I was a kid I wished with every fiber of my being to be Hawaiian, or just to be thought of as cool to them. People would tell me, "You neva goin hook up with one killah hawaiian chick," or "Stop trying for sing, you not hawaiian," or "Go home you dumb haole." Seriously, Iʻm not exaggerating. I never went to private schools, I never was rich, and I was born and raised in the community. But I got it. And I know a lot of "white" people, many of whom were like me and not even completely euro-caucasian, who got it much worse than I did. I just learned early how to avoid fights by talking my way out of situations, making the right friends, and running faster than anyone who was chasing me.

That said, not every time I get called "haole" is by someone who has something against me. I get called that by friends who just like to toss the word around and make fun. This, I have little issue with, but the fact still remains that the racism is there, alive and well. Maybe itʻs swept under the rug, because in most places itʻs not PC to say or do in the anti-white spirit, but it is there.

I find that the people who treat me or speak to me as if I am below them or not entitled to the opinions or privileges of true Hawaiians, are of all ages AND races. Many are not Hawaiian themselves, but just seek to bring others down in the same way they have felt brought down. Iʻve been discriminated against as recently as a few months ago by teenagers at the beach, and by old timers and people that idolize them who feel I am not worthy of some of the good things in life that they themselves enjoy. And many many people are just plain ignorant. They donʻt know any better, and so they latch on to the beliefs and habits and ideas of people they look up to or want approval from.

For some itʻs based on racial trauma that was inflicted before I was born or my parents stepped foot on O‘ahu. For others, its just how their parents feel and thus, what they think is okay.

But when itʻs all said and done, I am a happy person, loved by many, and accepted as a local who has something to say and the ability to contribute to my community. The people who love me are the ones that matter and know that my skin color means nothing next to what I can do, and what we can do together.

Like any place (any outer island, Wai‘anae, Hawai‘i Kai, Lā‘ie, Town, anywhere) you will have bad apples. YOU WILL have people who refuse to look past skin color. Itʻs inevitable, and it is not as much regional as it is cultural (upbringing, philosophy, experience). So you either learn to rise above it like I and many other people have, or let it crush you, and chase you away, back to where ever your people are from.

AND BTW, white people arenʻt the only ones that get discriminated against, because discrimination and stereotyping is damn-near subconscious in many peoplesʻ lives. EVERYONE is stereotyped... whether youʻre white, black, japanese, chinese, korean, filipino, hawaiian, samoan, tongan, maori, mexican, puerto rican, indonesian, chamorro, or male or female or transgendered or young or old or from makaha or mililani or kaneohe or moloka‘i or hana, maui or lana‘i or hilo or kona. Itʻs human.

And I think the ones that get it the worst these days are micronesians. Just saying.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just counted them, looks like there 20 signs throughout Japan. None are any where near my Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe area.
Actually, there are a few more than 20 "exclusionary" signs throughout Japan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Im pretty sure these are most likely the very expensive hostess types of bars. The kind with non-English staff who can't explain to wandering foreigners that they entering into a very expensive tipoff place that only high end corporate account generally Japanese people would consider.

If you are a gaijin who speaks Japanese though and they can make sure everyone knows how much money you're going to be out once you try to step out of such places, they'll let you right in.
Hmm, an onsen, a ryokan, a pool hall, and a "hostess-type" bar are all a little bit different from each other. And sometimes, no matter how much cash one flashes, they still won't be admitted without the right "connections."

In Hawai'i, there are places like the "Outrigger Canoe Club" that will refuse admittance to "non-members" no matter how much cash they flash. In the past, people of "certain races" weren't allowed to become members. Nowadays, a prospective member simply has to be sponsored by two "voting members" in good standing who have been members for at least three years and have known the candidate for at least two years...
Outrigger Canoe Club - Membership Information

Although Japan and Hawai'i have changed over time, if one looks around and scratches under the surface, they can still find vestiges of a bygone era...

Old 11-28-2011, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayn808 View Post
ok so this is how it is. in hawaii there are two definitions to the word 'haole.' some of us use it jus as an adjective. like, 'ya, that cute, kinda haole boy'. but wen a tourist or non-local resident does somethin we see as dumb, selfish, arrogant, etc most locals will get mad. in hawaii we do things so differently than in the mainland. we look out for each other and care about each other. every one here is an auntie or an uncle. we dont only look out for ourselves or our close family. we're all family. theres a reason y we're called the aloha state. in the mainland, most haoles aren't like that and aren't used to the way WE live in HAWAII. so wen they do somethin outta our culture, it pisses us off and to us, looks selfish or 'haole'. wat a lot of people dont realize is that there are a lot of issues still going on today that provoke locals to have resentment towards tourists. we are a minortiy in our own land. because so many haole people are moving here, our people are livin in tents on the beach. our kids are gettin crappy education because are state is short of money, money thats being used to build more hotels to hold the tourists that our land has come to rely on. now dont get me wrong, i think racism is unacceptable. but yu need to understand where its coming from. years and generations of mistreatment on our own land. a land that isnt even legally owned by the US. asians, blacks, and hispanics, its not that bad for yu guys. if we make racial comments they're said as jokes. we're so diverse here that we tease other races for a laugh. we tease our own ethnic backgrounds! im portuguesse and i ALWAYS crack up at 'potaguee' jokes. they're siad out of love. they dont mean anything. so if yur not frm here and yu hear a joke about yur race, suck it up n dnt b so sensitive. learn how to play around and relax. this is hawaii. There is such a pride here. a pride of 'reppin da 808,' of having da poly blood in you. polynesians are proud people who love and know how to have fun. we will stand for what we believe in and we dont break down easily. thats y there is so much opposition towards haoles. because our people are being overrun by the wrong type of haoles, and it makes us so angry. if yu are haole, but yur nice. and yu kno how to fit in, it'll take some time to prove to the locals yu can be AWESOME, but once yu do, yu'll b fine. its the haoles who act up and think they're bigger or better than hawaiians that fall prey to the anger and resentment. the haoles who think we live in grass shacks, and dont have to go to school. the haoles who think we paddle to places and dont kno english. those people are naive. hawaiians are proud, strong people who know the values of love, respect, and how to take care of the land, the family, and the people
Honestly, there is not a better example of racism then this post.

What a great tool to educate young kids on racism. This racist, does not even realize what a racist he is as he claims to not be one!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
I get where hayn808 is coming from. I've had two husbands- both Haole. My family could NOT stand my first husband no matter how hard they tried because he was supercilious and just a jackazz- he didn't get when he was being teased (just like EVERYONE in the family gets teased). That marriage didn't last long (4 years),

Now my current hubby (VERY White from Alabama) took the teasing in the manner in which it was meant- your part of the family and NO ONE is safe! We've been married 24 years (together 26). He has been all over Oahu (even in the places that are supposedly dangerous to Haoles. He doesn't try to speak pidgin but does easily use words like "pau" and "Ohana" and doesn't sound like an officious jerk while doing so.

My first husband refused squid luau and poke while my current hubby tried everything and found what he likes and doesn't like (the man is now crazy about SPAM which he refused to eat while we lived on the Mainland); and he talks to my cousins for hours on the phone and will insist that we go to family functions even when I don't feel like going.

One thought he was above the Culture while the other embraced and became a part of the Culture. Guess which one I'm still married too?

We tease (sometimes to excess) but no one is exempt. We laugh at all the jokes and poke each other about our differences. It is our way going back to Plantation days when it was a way to get along with all of the different peoples living next to each other.

Very different from my hubby's family that once owned a large plantation in Bama- they make no effort to know people of other Races and were quite horrified when my hubby brought me home. There was no teasing and it has been quite awkward even after all of this time. I'd take the outright teasing and acceptance over the stilted "this is my cousin's wife- she's HAWAIIAN", because somehow Hawaiian is better than AA or Hispanic or any other brown Race.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 11,708 times
The problem is that racism is racism, whether it is done in jest or teasing.

Racism is NEVER funny to the people being teased or screwed with (regardless of whether they smile and take it or not)

If Humans with lighter skin did racist teasing towards Hawaiians it would not be accepted, regardless of whether the white humans were teasing or not.

And do not get me wrong, I am sure that Hayne808 is a really cool person to hang out with. But at the same time, Hayne808 needs to learn that racism is bad, whether done is jesting with good intentions or not. He/she needs to take personal responsibility and grow up and realize that his/her words can hurt other people

So when a person jokes around about race, and then tells someone to "Suck it up" that person needs to take a good look into their own heart. No sir, the abused do not need to "Suck it up", the abusers need to "Stop abusing".

Racism is a crime against humanity and it needs to stop. We are all one.

Racism is also wrong regardless of what happened to your ancestor hundreds of years ago. Everyone on planet earth has lost their ancestor land, or been abused, or had others do wrong to them. I could go on for hours about the abuse my ancestors suffered. But I do not, because I live in reality, in 2011. I make the most of my life, and show kindness and love to those around me regardless of color.

Hawaiians have so much to offer the world with righteous living with the land. Offer this. Stop offering "haole" or other racist nonsense.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endracism View Post
The problem is that racism is racism, whether it is done in jest or teasing.

Racism is NEVER funny to the people being teased or screwed with (regardless of whether they smile and take it or not)

If Humans with lighter skin did racist teasing towards Hawaiians it would not be accepted, regardless of whether the white humans were teasing or not.

And do not get me wrong, I am sure that Hayne808 is a really cool person to hang out with. But at the same time, Hayne808 needs to learn that racism is bad, whether done is jesting with good intentions or not. He/she needs to take personal responsibility and grow up and realize that his/her words can hurt other people

So when a person jokes around about race, and then tells someone to "Suck it up" that person needs to take a good look into their own heart. No sir, the abused do not need to "Suck it up", the abusers need to "Stop abusing".

As long as folks can make money as a result of racism it's probably not going to end.
Racism is a crime against humanity and it needs to stop. We are all one.

Racism is also wrong regardless of what happened to your ancestor hundreds of years ago. Everyone on planet earth has lost their ancestor land, or been abused, or had others do wrong to them. I could go on for hours about the abuse my ancestors suffered. But I do not, because I live in reality, in 2011. I make the most of my life, and show kindness and love to those around me regardless of color.

Hawaiians have so much to offer the world with righteous living with the land. Offer this. Stop offering "haole" or other racist nonsense.
Tell it to comedian Frank Delima...

Frank Delima - Filipino Christmas - YouTube

Or comedian Augie Tulba (aka "Augie T")...

augie T - YouTube

As long as folks can build careers and/or make money using racism, it probably won't end anytime soon.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Jonah K, where's the Lisa Lampanelli video?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Jonah K, where's the Lisa Lampanelli video?
She's not from Hawai'i and unfortunately her particular brand of racist humor uses too many four-letter words and racial epithets to be safe to link to. However, there's plenty of her stuff on YouTube...

Old 11-30-2011, 01:20 AM

52 posts, read 108,911 times
Yankeemama - I thought you lived in Portland? Good to see you in the HI forums too. lol.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
She's not from Hawai'i and unfortunately her particular brand of racist humor uses too many four-letter words and racial epithets to be safe to link to. However, there's plenty of her stuff on YouTube...
I know, I was trying to make a joke. Maybe I should have put a instead of a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii