Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,316 times

Advertisements

Aloha ppl I have important question to you, especially to locals... Hawaii is one of my dreams, and ones I came to Maui for short vacation I have fallen in love in these islands completely. I am on my way to find the right place on Earth for myself and future family. I am an immigrant, well educated single guy, calm and easy going about 30 yo. So my question is, what about social live, new relationships and chances to meet good girl over there? What is average age ppl living in Hawaii and if they are willing to mix with foreigners? Thanks for honesty Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 05:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,724,273 times
When I was on Hawaii, I was (still am) single and had NO problems. My only words of caution is understand the cultural diffrence. Like every place in the world, there will be some easy going females, but I found on Hawaii, many females are a bit more secure in themselves and have a higher respect for themselves. What you may see as being come on to may be just being friendly and taking it the wrong way could cause you to look like a sleezball. In time, you'll get the vibe.

But, before flying over based on the social life possibility, be honest with yourself about what you think you will accomplish on Hawaii. Many come base on a vacation and reality smacks them in the face, just like those moving to LA hoping to be the next movie star because they took the Universal Studios tour.

There are many post about moving to Hawaii. I suggest you read them and listen to any caution that is raised. If you know what may be an issue, you can plan for it should it happen, but if you ignore the cautions, you will be stunned when something comes up you didn't plan for.

Also, because Hawaii is such a melting pot of Pacific regions, not everything may be what a person thinks they are. Just like if your in France and some German is rude to you, just because they look the same does not mean its a French person. Many people msitakenly assume that anyone who looks a certain way must be Hawaii or local even if they just got off the plane 5 minuets ago from halfway around the world. That lumping everyone as the same because they can't tell the difference has caused many a problem on Hawaii.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:47 PM

That is fair enough! Thank you for such response ! Anyway, I'm serious and responsible guy and I wouldn't do something stupid such moving ther coz i had wonderfull vacation. That would be quite "silly" Im going to go through as much info I can before I make my final decision. I have read a lot already. On the other hand nothing holds me back in NY...
Also, your nick-name sugests you have something common with flying, piloting or thats just coincidence? I am a pilot and I imagine myself flying there, and have a such job...
I don't want to bother you, but any suggestions about which islands are best to start with?
Mahalo

Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,724,273 times
Honolulu is the hiring base for pilots with hawaii based companies. All the other islands operate through companies based there. There are some opprtunities on the other islands but those are maybe smaller fixed wing tourist operations. Of course rotorcraft ratings is the most "local" rating with the most jobs on all the islands. Most of the major commerical operations are mainland or foreign based with the exception of Hawaiian Airlines and Aloha Air Cargo. Go, United, Amercian, etc hire through their mainland operations but will always advertise on Hawaii just in case. Competition is firece due to all the military pilots and aviation service people who leave the military and want to live on Hawaii.

Most of Hawaii's aviation industry is Hawaii based or for Hawaii. It's not like you'll have an operation like ours where we reposition the aircraft based on the contract need. Flying from Palmdale to LA is nothing to service the client's need for a flight to Hong Kong, but flying from Honolulu to LA to go to Hong Kong is out of the question. So unless the company has a direct need to be on Hawaii, its not going to be a base of operation. On the mainland where I live, its a 4 hour drive, crossing another state, to get to our base of operations but that's not a problem because we have all the roads and interstates which makes it possible. We closed our hawaii ops because now everything we needed a person on the ground to do can be taken care of by contractors or electronicy submissions.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 12,630 times
I lived there for around 4 years as a single 30's male and didn't have a problem dating. Many of the women are indeed very strong and much more fit/healthy than most other areas of the US. But if you treat them with the proper respect and adoration, they will generally give you some time.

I never felt much of the anti-haole vibe there, at least from the girls and I worked all over the island. Was commuting from Diamond Head to Ewa Beach every day for a couple years and the people were just as cool whether local or not, imho.

Good luck! It's a magical place and my sweetie and I (whom I stole from the islands) have been recently strategizing our return. We're in northern Cali now amongst the redwoods and as beautiful as it is here, it's just not the same. (and it's friggin' freezing to us!) heh

Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 AM

Thank you both for valuable response. I think that gave me good general idea about what I am looking for. Mahalo

Old 06-01-2010, 12:17 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,465,393 times
I would say that dating is harder on the outer islands...maybe not as much Maui (not sure about that though) but definitely Kauai and probably the Big Island too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: