Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 PM

8 posts, read 13,926 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've got some questions. If you're bored enough to answer, it would be much appreciated.

I have read that the food prices in Hawaii are very high. I was wondering, however, how sea food prices compared to mainland prices. I currently live in Ohio and it would seem like seafood would be easier to get in Hawaii so it may be cheaper/equal. For example, most sushi rolls out here cost 8-15$ for 6 rolls out here.

Next question. Is it impossible to *buy* a house and land in Hawaii without being a millionaire. I will be an engineer an my fiance will be a college professor so we wont be bad off, but obviously we will have limits. I just want to know if it would be possible to buy a small, but decently built house somewhere like Big Island.

Lastly, I've read a fair amount about racism towards whites, and people losing their jobs due to their race. Is this true or is it really just blown out of proportion? I would imagine it's the latter, and there is racism everywhere, so I'm not really too worried. It was just more of a curiosity.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you all have a wonderful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 05:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Cost is relative. Seafood may be a bit less but the cost to bring that to market in hawaii may be higher. It's not that all food are very high, but that manythings are just slightly higher to the point that it adds a few cents to everything and that causes end products to be equally higher. I tell people its not the single item cost, but the final cost of everything. Just 5 cents more an item can be sizable over the hundred of items you buy each year. Hope that makes sense.

You can buy a house on Hawaii for $35,000 right now. But the Big island is just that BIG and I'm sure which area you are looking plays a big roll in cost. If talking oceanfront home on the west side, you better have money. But if talking small parcel in the woods of the east side, you don't have to be rich.

My view on racisim is counter to many people's views. I didn't have any real problems and when I did, the majority of times it had nothing to do with the color of my skin. Skin color is often the crutch some use because they can't face the reality that they as a person, did something stupid to cause a probelm. Employers appear to favor locals but the truth is they favor local RESIDENTs. Also sometimes the so called local who won't hire a white person are themself some recent transplant from another country yet they are lumped as some "local "hawaiian" who is racist. Last, racisim does esist as you said just like all other places, just that on Hawaii, the group that complains the most have traditionally been the ones who were the majority and it comes as a shock when they are the minority and have to face what minorities have always been subject to. I think you understand what I'm saying.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:58 PM

138 posts, read 355,221 times
I've only been on the Big Island for a few days. Here is my initial reaction.

Food Prices: You need to be selective on what you buy. Brand A can be twice the cost of Brand B. Look closely at cost per oz. Buy what is cheap this week, buy what is cheap next week, next week.

Housing Costs: My study of housing prices in the US in general show that you're better off renting at this time. Prices will come down over the next few years. Hawaii is no different.

One thing that sticks out with just a couple days in Hilo, HI is that there is a limited middle class. You are either extremely rich or poor. Not much in between.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:25 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
We have a house on the Big Island that we are moving into next month. We are neither extremely rich nor poor. We are retired professionals from Colorado (my husband just retired from teaching). We just managed our money well and bought during a down cycle. Our rural neighborhood is a mixture of working people and retired people, but I wouldn't consider any of them to be wealthy or poor.

I think that the main problem that you'll encounter is finding a reasonably priced home close to where your jobs are. Some people do commute to Kona from our end of the island, but it is an hour to an hour and a half each way. Not my idea of how I like to spend my time in paradise!

You mention the Big Island, but which island are you really looking at moving to?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:05 PM

8 posts, read 13,926 times
I was considering Big Island, but I don't really know the pros and cons of each island as I just started researching this about 3 weeks ago (although it's always been a dream). Now that I feel more confident that I will be able to accomplish my degree, it seems more like a possibility and less of a dream. All I really care about is that I'm within an hour drive of some clear water and within 45min of a job. After that it's really all bonus. Obviously being near a store and all that would be a plus, but not completely needed.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
Come over, rent for 6 to 12 months and take plenty of time deciding where you want to buy. I don't know of any houses for $35,000 but maybe in Ocean View or some of the more remote locations. Depends on what you want. Electricity? Phone? Pavement? Water? Near shopping and businesses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii