Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 21,411 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at real estate listings of single family houses in Oahu, and I noticed that many of them have high maintenance fees, some as high as $500 per month. I wonder what those fees cover. They are distinct from association fees. Can Oahu residents enlighten me?

Thanks.

Gary
Non-resident for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 07:30 PM

145 posts, read 451,267 times
Gary,

I'm no expert by any means but in checking on a a few places myself I have found tha it varies from property to property. It could be anything, really - from utilities to road/neighborhood maintenance to somethon totally different. I've always just sent a request for info to the realtor. Also, just as an FYI if you are like me (who, in the beginning had no idea such a thing existed!) be aware that many Hawaiian properties are Lease Hold properties; the meaning of which, in a teeny little nut shell, is that basically you will not own the propery outright - not the land parcel it sits on any way.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 PM

Gary,

I'm no expert by any means but in checking on a a few places myself I have found tha it varies from property to property. It could be anything, really - from utilities to road/neighborhood maintenance to somethon totally different. I've always just sent a request for info to the realtor. Also, just as an FYI if you are like me (who, in the beginning had no idea such a thing existed!) be aware that many Hawaiian properties are Lease Hold properties; the meaning of which, in a teeny little nut shell, is that basically you will not own the propery outright - not the land parcel it sits on any way.

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2010, 03:08 AM

346 posts, read 968,531 times
hey man, I live here and am looking at real estate all the time so I've become somewhat familiar.

go to Hawaii Real Estate Central - Honolulu Board of REALTORS® and look at the listings. It typically says what the maintenance includes. Note that there are some listings on this site that are active, but the unit is already in escrow.

Almost everywhere you get water, sewer, and association fees included. Some include hot water, electricity, or cable, but it really depends.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:31 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,402,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbloominglife View Post
Gary,

Good luck!

Actually, in leasehold properties, you own the improvements and you lease the land from the owner. There are also many fee simple properties out there wherein you do own the land.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Kona,

Right! I wasn't meaning to make it sound as if FS properties don't exist (as they absolutely do); just wanted to make the OP aware tha LH also exist (in case they were not before). :-)

Old 05-16-2010, 06:26 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
That is an insane monthly fee! Unless the house is worth a lot, that basically obliterates any appreciation so it's not an investment

Old 05-16-2010, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 21,411 times
I sent an email to a Realtor on Oahu and asked about the maintenance fees. She replied that they are usually charged by CPR-style developments. CPR stands for "condominium property regime". A CPR property can be not only an unit in a high-rise condominium building but also a house in a planned development in which the condominium management or homeowners association rather than individual property owners pays for some or all of the utilities and ground maintenance expenses. Each property owner then pays the management or HOA a share of the expenses every month. The maintenance fee may include one or more of the following expenses:
Cable TV
Internet Cable
Public Water
Telephone
Electricity
Sewer
Road maintenance

These are not included in the association fees.

I don't like this at all! It means frugal and absent residents are subsidizing profligate residents. It can also mean that if a resident wants to use an alternative cable, telephone, or electric service, he would have to pay for it in addition to the mandatory maintenance fee. Fortunately, there are plenty of houses on Oahu that have low or no maintenance fees.

Gary

Last edited by MDman123; 05-16-2010 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: missing word

Old 05-16-2010, 09:59 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDman123 View Post
I sent an email to a Realtor on Oahu and asked about the maintenance fees. She replied that they are usually charged by CPR-style developments. CPR stands for "condominium property regime". A CPR property can be not only an unit in a high-rise condominium building but also a house in a planned development in which the condominium management or homeowners association rather than individual property owners pays for some or all of the utilities and ground maintenance expenses. Each property owner then pays the management or HOA a share of the expenses every month. The maintenance fee may include one or more of the following expenses:
Cable TV
Internet Cable
Public Water
Telephone
Electricity
Sewer
Road maintenance

These are not included in the association fees.

I don't like this at all! It means frugal and absent residents are subsidizing profligate residents. It can also mean that if a resident wants to use an alternative cable, telephone, or electric service, he would have to pay for it in addition to the mandatory maintenance fee. Fortunately, there are plenty of houses on Oahu that have low or no maintenance fees.

Gary

Sounds like a terrible deal. All of those utilities are probably cheaper than $500. Just another contract giving someone else control over your money and your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: