Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 AM

145 posts, read 451,234 times

Advertisements

You all know by now how I like to window shop real estate (hey, a girl can dream! ). I've been noticing a good number of properties for sale in the Sea Country (Estates?) subdivision for sale for really low prices (mostly foreclosures and short sales). I was just wondering what the association fee and "maintenance" fees cover? I know there's one sector (the Holomoana sector) that seems to have the "maintenance" fee (which is in the neighborhood of about $300/month), while the other sectors (Waialana, Nohokai, Palekai, Pookela, Kaimalino, Makalae sectors) are only subject to the "association" fee (which is only $33/month).

So does anyone know what this "maintenance" fee covers? Utilities? Landscaping? Painting the fence? Pineapple delivery?

I'd also love to hear anything you can tell me about actually living there. It's a beautiful (looking, anyway!) neighborhood from all the photos I've seen but it's also located in the hotly debated Waianae area, so...?

My own thoughts about it are that, the houses have been around since about 2005 or so (the oldest ones, anyway) and there still seems to be no evidence of being slummed out (5 years is plenty of time for that to happen - I've seen it around my own area...adorable little houses pop up and six months later they're totally trashed); so, I'm not sure I totally buy the theory being bandied about that they'll look like the more, uh, "classic" areas of Waianae soon (which for sure could use a bit of a facelift). But then...I'm not there, haven't seen it in person, don't know any more about it than can be found on the internet, so I could be completely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times
I don't know your situation but if you'll have to work after moving to Oahu the commute into Honolulu from that area is bad and getting worse. It sucks to move to paradise to sit it traffic as in LA or DC.

PS: Have you looked at areas on the Big Island, the cost is much cheaper.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I don't know your situation but if you'll have to work after moving to Oahu the commute into Honolulu from that area is bad and getting worse. It sucks to move to paradise to sit it traffic as in LA or DC.
Eh, I'm mostly just daydreaming anyway at this point, Balad. Mostly. It would definitely suck to move to a place with so much natural beauty only to spend all your time sitting on asphalt. :/ The average (which means it could vary + or - on a given day) commute time from Waianae is 42 minutes . Right now I'm already spending about 30 minutes (each way) driving to work (I already live in The Sticks)...with not a beach in sight!

Quote:
PS: Have you looked at areas on the Big Island, the cost is much cheaper.
I have, actually - and there are several properties that I am madly in love with! Hehe! BUT...they are all also in more remote parts of the island (Papa Bay, for just one example) which would mean I would still have a long commute (45 minutes to Kona was the nearest, according to the realtor).

Like I said - it's just a dream at this point in time...though one I would like to become a reality some day - after much more research. And visits...lots of visits. ;-) Still, I like my day dreams to be based in some kind of reality, so I thought I'd ask if anyone knew what the fees covered.

Which Island are you on, by the way?

Last edited by Yac; 12-16-2020 at 12:03 AM..

Old 06-18-2010, 12:34 PM

I live between Kauai and the Big Island. I am retired and don't have to work so my options were greater when I moved here.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I am retired and don't have to work so my options were greater when I moved here.
Now THAT'S the way to do it!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:46 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,254 times
I don't live in Sea Country, but have toured the open houses. Its a nice area, but surrounded by not so nice areas.
Google Nanakuli and check out your neighbors. Big homeless problem on the local beaches. I would worry if I had school age kids.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 AM

No kids, so no need to worry about that. Also, I had read (on here, I think) that there were on going efforts to address the very real homeless problem in the area. I hope that hasn't been abandoned. :-/

Old 06-19-2010, 10:05 AM

There have been some efforts to help the homeless on the west side but many enjoy the lifestyle and don't want to be helped. The county has forced them out of most of the beach parks and they have just been moving to other areas further up the coast.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:40 AM

Ah, the old, "one area's problem solved is another area's problem gained". Classic American style. :-p

Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,682 times
I grew up in the Waianae district but I now live in Honolulu. It isn't as bad as everyone claims. There is a homeless problem, the community has built a shelter for them, some of them don't use it, because they can't do their "bad habits" in the shelter, so choose to continue living on beaches. Other than that, it is beautiful out there. Most of the people are nice and friendly except for a few. But it's like that everywhere. There are some nice areas and not so nice areas in Waianae. They don't have the best education schools, but since you don't have any kids, nothing to worry about. Sea Country is beautiful and a really nice community I am also looking into buying a home there. I'm not sure what exactly the maitenence fee covers, i know it doesn't cover home owners insurance. I am still finding that part out. Hope this helps you. It's always good to hear opinions of someone who is familiar with the Waianae district. Sadly we get all the stereo-types
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii