Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:35 AM

4 posts, read 9,106 times

Advertisements

Aloha Vicky,

I live on the lava in Kalapana within view of the craters and the ocean entry, and almost never experience the slightest trace of VOG. I can see it from here, but we are upwind and just off the ocean, and so we see the VOG floating toward the Kona side mostly, and sometimes toward Hilo. The air here is fresh and clean.

Bo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 02:40 AM

Default Internet

I forgot in my first reply -- yes, I do have high speed internet, from Advanced Wireless Systems in Hilo. Cost about $150 to install an antenna on my house and about fifty bucks a month. It's not great for watching videos and stuff like that, but e-mail and browsing are fine.

Several posters asked why live in Kalapana -- well, come spend the night sometime. It's one of the most magical places on Earth.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 AM

24 posts, read 121,373 times
Default Slightly off topic... Transportation to BI

Is there any ferry that would take us from Maui to BI? I'd like to take a day trip to drive around BI browsing for land. I've been told the super-ferry was no longer in service.

Kalapana has some "dirt cheap" land which I'd love to own some, as Hotzcatz mentioned, but it may take another couple of decades to gain popularity.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:53 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,517,953 times
I thought it ironic that Pele recently decided to "fill in" the County rock quarry that was located in Kalapana. I have read that over 30 feet of elevation has been added to much of that area already.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:54 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
I think the last scheduled ferry system the Big Island had was the sailing schooner "Kilauea". They say the Alinuihaha Channel between Maui and Hawaii (island) is one of the most treacherous channels on the planet. The Young Brother barges usually make it okay, but they've still lost a few barges over the years.

There are a couple of smaller airlines which may make the hop between Maui and Hawaii without going through Oahu. Pacific Wings and Island Air, I think, but I haven't looked lately.

Good to hear about the internet there, Bo! Sometime when Pele settles down a bit we'd like to build a small house/ campsite out that way but at the moment the lava is over our campsite.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:09 AM

Aloha Hotzcatz, Hawaiian Airlines has one flight a day direct from Kahului Maui to Hilo without going through Honolulu. It's just a 35-minute flight that leaves Maui at 9-something in the morning.

Aloha DPMP, yes, there are some great deals on lots out here in Kalapana Gardens where I live, about $4 - $5,000 for lots with great view of the ocean and the lava. I love it out here.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:10 AM

Aloha Hotzcatz, Hawaiian Airlines has one flight a day direct from Kahului Maui to Hilo without going through Honolulu. It's just a 35-minute flight that leaves Maui at 9-something in the morning.

Aloha DPMP, yes, there are some great deals on lots out here in Kalapana Gardens where I live, about $4 - $5,000 for lots with great view of the ocean and the lava. I love it out here.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:51 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaBo View Post

Funny you talk about this flight I was looking at flights last night for a flight to Maui right now its $158 round trip Hilo to Maui.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:13 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
Ouch! No wonder we don't visit Maui all that often. Then once we get there, it's the usual rent a car and find somewhere to stay. We usually end up going to Oahu since we have friends there we stay with and don't need to rent a car. Oahu isn't much fun anymore, either, what with the traffic and all so mostly we just stay home these days.

Once the lava settles down over near Kalapana, then we hope to build a small "vacation" cabin at the lot we have in Royal Gardens and stay out there some weekends. Since we live on the other side of the island it will be far enough away to actually be a vacation. Saves on airfare that way.

Hey, Bo! How long until you think Royal Gardens will be able to be accessed again? Doesn't look like any time soon, does it? Do they regrade the roads once the lava settles down or do people have to hike in over the lava?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:05 AM

21 posts, read 61,925 times
Thanks LavaBo, that is what I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii