Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 11:58 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,771,928 times

Advertisements

Hello all. So I have a a coworker that says people that are hired by the federal government to crunch your numbers/process personal information on the other end of Healthcare.gov are not going through the proper background investigation methods that they should be going through inorder to have access to private information such as social security numbers and birthdates. I hope that my coworker is pulling BS out of her rear end. Has anyone heard of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,398,945 times
Just some info.....the government already HAS all that info....

People are really digging deep to hate the ACA

Old 10-26-2013, 12:31 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,054,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

You really shouldn't be putting your SS number on any internet site if you can help it. And you can't say that all that personal information required just to browse the plans is justified. Originally the site did not require all that personal info for browsing. The Obama administration changed it and required it. It's completely backwards. Obama = data mining.

Keep on diggin!

Old 10-26-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
You really shouldn't be putting your SS number on any internet site if you can help it. And you can't say that all that personal information required just to browse the plans is justified. Originally the site did not require all that personal info for browsing. The Obama administration changed it and required it. It's completely backwards. Obama = data mining.

Keep on diggin!
Yes, I feel like a complete idiot for providing that info on the health care website. I sure hope my coworker is dead wrong. Its just, I didnt think about whom is looking at my info until today.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Perhaps, but why then require it? Seems like an unnecessary risk to me, unless they can guarantee my iinformations safety outside their website.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:49 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,398,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Perhaps, but why then require it? Seems like an unnecessary risk to me, unless they can guarantee my iinformations safety outside their website.
Because they have to prove that it's you. With insurance fraud running pretty rampant in many parts of the country, it's required to get your SS# to make sure they are treating the right person. Also, since it is now law you have to have coverage, the government tracks you via your SS#. If you don't have a SS#, you can't get insurance through the federal site...

No one can guarantee you anything...except you will die some day

Old 10-26-2013, 01:04 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,054,402 times
Quote:
Yes, I feel like a complete idiot for providing that info on the health care website. I sure hope my coworker is dead wrong. Its just, I didnt think about whom is looking at my info until today.
The data is eventually farmed out to various gov agencies and supposedly the data hub is somewhat secure. At least that part of it is better protected than the rest. As far as who is seeing the info, well this is problematic. And the response from HHS is lame.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:51 PM

15,011 posts, read 12,221,540 times
Quote:
Hello all. So I have a a coworker that says people that are hired by the federal government to crunch your numbers/process personal information on the other anend of Healthcare.gov are not going through the proper background investigation methods that they should be going through inorder to have access to private information such as social security numbers and birthdates. I hope that my coworker is pulling BS out of her rear end. Has anyone heard of this?
Your coworker may have been referring to the "navigators" hired by HHS to enroll individuals in insurance plans via the marketplace. Reportedly these navigators are not required to pass background or fingerprint checks, may have little or no training in, required only to go through a 20 hr online training course to become a navigator.

Here's what this article from Forbes has to say about that. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either in the system or in the navigators.....

Obamacare Workers Offering Help Also Threaten Identity Theft - Forbes

Old 10-26-2013, 07:02 PM

15,011 posts, read 12,221,540 times
Quote:

The point is, hiring of individuals with questionable backgrounds, and little to no oversight ( ie, "navigators") who will be given and have access to the highly sensitive personal information entrusted to them by those individuals seeking healthcare through the Obamacare marketplace.

The fact is, unless one is a card-carrying Obama cheerleader determined to see everything coming out of the current administration as a step closer to Utopia, there really isn't a lot about his "legacy" healthcare plan that does inspire confidence, and hate has nothing to do with it.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Your coworker may have been referring to the "navigators" hired by HHS to enroll individuals in insurance plans via the marketplace. Reportedly these navigators are not required to pass background or fingerprint checks, may have little or no training in, required only to go through a 20 hr online training course to become a navigator.

Here's what this article from Forbes has to say about that. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either in the system or in the navigators.....

Obamacare Workers Offering Help Also Threaten Identity Theft - Forbes
Oh boy. No background checks. On the bright side, felons can now get a job. Cool. Wait. Not cool. Oh man, I can see how this will all end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance