Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM

18 posts, read 30,650 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We have an elderly relative 70+ and we are in need of a healthcare plan where she can be seen for her diabetes and cholestrol and other age related aches and pains.
Not eligible for Medicare or Medicaid coz of never worked here.
Tried Private Insurance and they are useless as we end up paying more out of pocket because of preexisting conditions.Every visit has costed me about $400. NY has free elderly care hospitals and plans but I've not been able to find one in Texas.
Does anyone know of an affordable plan that works.

Thanks a lot

Dora
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM

748 posts, read 1,381,481 times
Effective 1/1/2014, if she is not eligible for Medicare, she will be able to get one of the ACA plans but she will not be eligible for a subsidy.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,390,588 times
She is in a bad place, especially for being in Texas. Texas is not known for very much in social programs to help people in need. I would search your area for "free clinics". Most larger cities have them, though I am not sure about Texas.

If she has little income, it is doubtful she could even afford a policy anywhere at that age, even the exchange. And the more affordable plans have high deductibles, which would not work well for her with diabetes. If you could buy one on the ACA, you would need one with a low deductible, so she would be able to see the doctor on a regular bases. Such a plan at age 70 without a subsidy, would have to be in at least the $800 a month range I am afraid.

Why don't you do some searching on the internet for any programs for the elderly in Texas, as see if you can find any organization that might help you. Are you sure she would not be eligible for medicaid? I know you must contribute to Medicare to be eligible, but I am not sure about Medicaid. Her income would have to be limited to around $11,500 a year or whatever Texas limits are. As of 2014, the asset limits have been lifted for obtaining medicaid. Income is still considered, but not assets (house, savings, etc.)

Another consideration. Texas has a high percentage of illegals and in some area's a very high percentage of Mexican population. I don't know what part of Texas you are in, but if you are in or near one of these areas, you will usually find some dedicated doctors who have set up small clinics or office that treat poor people at very reasonable prices (according to what they can pay) I know such a doctor in Phoenix. I know Texas has them, you just need to find them.

ElderCarelink Senior Care Needs Survey :: Find Local Providers and Services at ElderCarelink.com

Help for Texans (DADS)

Texas HHSC: How to Get Help -- Healthcare Services for People over 65 and People with Disabilities

Last edited by modhatter; 11-07-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 PM

25,608 posts, read 56,706,478 times
Assume you've contacted TX Social Services in her area? She is not the only elderly person in her county ineligible for Medicare and Medicaid. What do they do with those people - say "sorry, you need to die and decrease the surplus population"? Gotta love TX - of course, the border states have very real problems in many areas because of indigent illegals. Your relative is not an illegal. Nonetheless, indigent is an issue. Imagine they're rather immune to sympathy, at this point.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-07-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 03:08 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,587,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Effective 1/1/2014, if she is not eligible for Medicare, she will be able to get one of the ACA plans but she will not be eligible for a subsidy.
WRONG. If she is legally in the US - she is eligible for a subsidy if she's income eligible. Why do you think otherwise? Robyn

Old 11-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
WRONG. If she is legally in the US - she is eligible for a subsidy if she's income eligible. Why do you think otherwise? Robyn
Because her income is too low and falls below the minimum required for ACA subsidy. A Catch22 because of the unanticipated SC ruling allowing states to opt out of Medicaid expansion.

Many people in states refusing money for Medicaid expansion fall into this "income" black hole. Can't get Medicaid and ACA won't provide subsidies because their income is too low.

ACA is providing hardship waivers to those people to avoid the penalty/tax, but that doesn't solve the problem of no medical insurance coverage.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,587,704 times
OP didn't mention income in the original message. Just mentioned not working. Robyn

Old 11-07-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
OP didn't mention income in the original message. Just mentioned not working. Robyn
Assumption (wrongly?) I made based on mention of Medicaid:
Quote:
We have an elderly relative 70+ and we are in need of a healthcare plan where she can be seen for her diabetes and cholestrol and other age related aches and pains. Not eligible for Medicare or Medicaid coz of never worked here.

Tried Private Insurance and they are useless as we end up paying more out of pocket because of preexisting conditions.Every visit has costed me about $400. NY has free elderly care hospitals and plans but I've not been able to find one in Texas.
Does anyone know of an affordable plan that works.
TX has stricter requirements on Medicaid for people who've never worked in US, based on a thread posted earlier this years from a NH transplant who couldn't get Medicaid for his indigent immigrant parents in TX, although they had it in NH.

I suppose it's possible this elderly relative 70+ who never worked "here" has an income of over $15k yr.

Guess OP needs to clarify.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-07-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance