Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:51 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika123 View Post
Not sure my other post went through. I wrote that new insurances popped out of nowhere with the Marketplace, like Oscar, but again, they have a very limited selection of drs.

In NY the subsidy is available also for gold plans, not sure abt platinum but I think so.
Any "metal" exchange plan is illegible for a Premium subsidy if you are below 400% of poverty level. But if your income is 250% of the poverty level (adjusted to the size of your family) than you will also be eligible for "cost sharing" subsidies as long as you select a Silver Plan. The web site does not show the amount of these "cost sharing" subsidies as it depends on your income. See link below.

Making Health Care More Affordable: The New Premium and Cost-Sharing Assistance — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 01:52 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
I did call my doctors, they mostly take big insurances...
I agree with the advice to get a better broker. H/she can tell you which doctors are covered under which plans and at what cost. It took our broker a day to get back to me on which plans covered what, at what rates, etc. I could never navigate that stuff on my own (and haven't since we've had an individual policy).

Old 02-13-2014, 03:02 PM

137 posts, read 160,989 times
Interesting, apparently I DO QUALIFY for the cost sharing subsidies!!
I already paid for March but will switch for April, does it sound like a good idea?
Thanks

Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
I already paid for March but will switch for April, does it sound like a good idea?
Thanks
No, if you are going to switch plans you have to do it now before the enrollment period is up...you can't just flop back and forth between plans because you want to.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks
Are you sure you want to still call it the Obamadoesntcare plans Mika?

Old 02-13-2014, 04:03 PM

I KNOW! I have time till March 31. If I switched to Silver I can't go back, that's why I asked if you think silver is the way to go?
Apparently with the silver plan they would give me a $250 deduct (that's why it was so low!!! No error!) And $15 copay!!
Anybody know abt this silver subsdy plan? Sounds too good to be true, probably is? We are low income, already provided docs requested.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I KNOW! I have time till March 31. If I switched to Silver I can't go back, that's why I asked if you think silver is the way to go?
Apparently with the silver plan they would give me a $250 deduct (that's why it was so low!!! No error!) And $15 copay!!
Anybody know abt this silver subsdy plan? Sounds too good to be true, probably is? We are low income, already provided docs requested.
Yes, that is how they work, like I told you earlier. If your income is such that you qualify, yes, your out of pocket costs are very low. That was the whole point behind the subsidies.....switch now and save yourself some money...and maybe apologize to the people you were yelling at for their "wrong" information....

Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 PM

Lol, they had no idea what they were talking abt, if I didn't post on here I would have never known about these subsidies!

Old 02-13-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, that is how they work, like I told you earlier. If your income is such that you qualify, yes, your out of pocket costs are very low. That was the whole point behind the subsidies.....switch now and save yourself some money...and maybe apologize to the people you were yelling at for their "wrong" information....
No, apologize for saying Obama isn't trying to help lower income people afford health insurance and acknowledge he does CARE.

Last edited by modhatter; 02-13-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
No, apologize for saying Obama isn't trying to help lower income people afford health insurance and does
CARE.
but then I get bashed by other posters for wanting real numbers and she wonders why....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance