Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 03:54 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,763,726 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Last year in April I got health insurance through the marketplace. It was around $200a month. I knew my daughter would be born in July so I decided to save the money I'd otherwise spend on my insurance and save for diapers, formula and all the other newborn baby expenses.
Anyways, I kept getting notices (obviously) in the mail saying to pay my premium to keep my insurance going. I knew I had other things to put that $200 through, so I ignored the notices. So I'm curious to know, will the unpaid insurance premiums go to collections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 03:57 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Last year in April I got health insurance through the marketplace. It was around $200a month. I knew my daughter would be born in July so I decided to save the money I'd otherwise spend on my insurance and save for diapers, formula and all the other newborn baby expenses.
Anyways, I kept getting notices (obviously) in the mail saying to pay my premium to keep my insurance going.
When did you stop paying? Either you've gotten a notice that they cancelled your policy or you will soon. I don't think insurance companies have to send your bills to collections because they can just not pay your claims if you didn't pay your premiums.

Sounds like a pretty stupid decision with a newborn daughter, so good luck to you.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
When did you stop paying? Either you've gotten a notice that they cancelled your policy or you will soon. I don't think insurance companies have to send your bills to collections because they can just not pay your claims if you didn't pay your premiums.

Sounds like a pretty stupid decision with a newborn daughter, so good luck to you.
I paid the first month's premium. My wife had insurance, so I wasn't too concerned. I went without insurance for 20 years, I figured I could go without for a few months. I now have insurance.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:03 PM

So you stopped paying in May? Surely you've gotten a cancellation notice by now?

Old 01-28-2016, 04:07 PM

Yes I did. Just curious to know if the unpaid months of premiums would or could go to collections.

And please. Do not chastise me for not paying my health insurance premiums. I know it was evil and bad of me to do, but the money was needed elsewhere.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:10 PM

Well, I'm glad to hear that your daughter (I assume) has coverage under your wife's policy. If you haven't received a collection notice by now, I doubt you'll receive one.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Well, I'm glad to hear that your daughter (I assume) has coverage under your wife's policy. If you haven't received a collection notice by now, I doubt you'll receive one.
Yes, both the wife and daughter have pretty good insurance. I decided to get my own policy because it was cheaper than going on hers.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:24 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
No they do not send it to collections. Had you filed a claim and it was paid by the insurance company during the period you did not pay premiums, they can come after you for what they paid out plus legal fees. Otherwise, they have loss nothing and its over. Now, one thing that may pop up is if you attempt to get insurance from them again, they may remember what you did and there could be some complications like lost paperwork, file sent to Barrow's Alaska by mistake, claims accidentally thrown away by janitor......

Old 01-28-2016, 04:27 PM

Ok. No, I never filed a claim, ever, during the duration of the policy. Thank you for the reply.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:52 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Hello all. Last year in April I got health insurance through the marketplace. It was around $200a month. I knew my daughter would be born in July so I decided to save the money I'd otherwise spend on my insurance and save for diapers, formula and all the other newborn baby expenses.
Anyways, I kept getting notices (obviously) in the mail saying to pay my premium to keep my insurance going. I knew I had other things to put that $200 through, so I ignored the notices. So I'm curious to know, will the unpaid insurance premiums go to collections?

Nope, they will just cancel your insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance