Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 08:48 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think if you read your link, it's the same as Obamacare's Cadillac tax. Many people from the left, yes it's hard to believe, want a single payer and want government to not give credit to employers plan. So which one is it that you are supporting. I don't hear anybody from the left complain about single payer or universal health care as long as somebody pays for it.
I'm not complaining. I hope it applies to retiree's health insurance as well.

OTOH, the Cadillac tax would have applied to a mere 6% of the "employee only" policies, I don't know how many would be affected under the Repubs' plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 08:49 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
Even in countries who have single payer, they also have employer provided health insurance. I think employer provided health insurance will always be there.
I think that for certain high demand occupations that could be used as an effective recruitment tool regardless of their tax consequence.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:49 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Even if you were correct, which you are not, there is no relevance to the type of health care system we have.
How do you know it's not relevant? We create another class of leisure group who wouldn't want to work if they don't have to. I tell you my SIL would bust her ass without NHS. Right now she only work leisurely for one day and volunteer the rest of the week even though she is poor.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
I thought you were originally oppose to it.
I was quite clear. Our current system is overpriced, fragmented and inefficient. It badly needs reforming. The ACA was exactly the wrong way to reform it. I would have implemented UHC.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:51 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
I keep hearing that. My husband is from UK and that's one UHC that I know. If you look at it, there is no job growth in UK. Practically everybody that we know who are engineer or software engineers, are either here in USA, or working for USA companies in UK, or being laid off a long time, more than 15 years without a job. So is that what we want for USA?
I doubt if the health plan in the UK caused low job growth. That just doesn't make much sense.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
How do you know it's not relevant? We create another class of leisure group who wouldn't want to work if they don't have to. I tell you my SIL would bust her ass with NHS. Right now she only work leisurely for one day and volunteer the rest of the week even though she is poor.
Show me a correlation between UHC and economic performance then. Don't forget to include links and references to sources.

Incidentally, you do know that the NHS doesn't pay for food or rent and that, in the USA, if you have no money you still get treated?

Old 03-05-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I doubt if the health plan in the UK caused low job growth. That just doesn't make much sense.
Then what is it? When did you hear any company like Facebook, Google, Apple, Amazon, come from any of the European countries or U.K. Specific. None. Yet the U.K. People who come over here in USA did quite well.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I think that for certain high demand occupations that could be used as an effective recruitment tool regardless of their tax consequence.
In the UK, which I know quite well, offering health insurance in addition to the NHS (e.g. BUPA) is seen as a perk. But even with that, the take up of health insurance is pretty low .. about 10% of the population. The other interesting aspect is that the cost of health insurance in the UK is quite low because it is competing with an NHS which is free at the point of service delivery.

People do pay for private treatment usually for non-urgent procedures that they want done quickly. But, for most people, it is cheaper to 'pay as you go' than it is to pay monthly premiums.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:57 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Even in countries who have single payer, they also have employer provided health insurance. I think employer provided health insurance will always be there.
Can you name a country that has employer provided health care AND single payer? It sort of doesn't make sense to me and I can't find what you are claiming anywhere online. Germany uses employer provided health insurance as part of their UHC plan but that is not a single payer plan.

Also, the German plans do not exclude the disabled, the poor, or the unemployed. The exclusion of all three of those seem to central to every conservative plan I've read about. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ermany/360133/

Old 03-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Show me a correlation between UHC and economic performance then. Don't forget to include links and references to sources.

Incidentally, you do know that the NHS doesn't pay for food or rent and that, in the USA, if you have no money you still get treated?
You should show me how it's not correlate since you state with certainty. Yes NHS is only for health care not food nor rent. But if somebody lives with someone, they don't have to nearly struggle like in USA like my kid, a entrepreneur.
Yes I know people get free heath care in USA as I stated many times on CD. How do I know? My husband was in a hospital and shared a room with a homeless guy. My husband had good insurance but that guy didn't. He told my husband on the way out. Yet you hear people complain in USA how poor people will die without health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance