Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 AM

1,285 posts, read 597,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Did you know that many in Canada end up coming to America to have Heart surgeries etc? Do you understand why this is? Because the waiting lists are so long in Canada.
It's another canard.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ff3f62412764
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 AM

216 posts, read 164,436 times
The left doesn't trust the right and the right doesn't trust the left, therefor we have gridlock.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:45 AM

7,233 posts, read 9,404,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I know so many people who can't wait to get on to Medicare and are relieved when they finally do.
And I also know many people who would like to retire prior to age 65 but are afraid to because of the uncertainty of having available health insurance prior to Medicare kicking it.

If they could retire, perhaps younger people could fill their slots.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,971,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
And I also know many people who would like to retire prior to age 65 but are afraid to because of the uncertainty of having available health insurance prior to Medicare kicking it.

If they could retire, perhaps younger people could fill their slots.
Good point! I agree.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,970,551 times
Obamacare is/was an absolute disaster. That's why Republicans insisted that Americans know exactly who cooked up the mess. If instead they called it by its more rightful name: Romneycare, Americans might actually have accepted it. And we couldn't have that. Because... well... because. [edit: Post #9, yeppers]

So finally after 6 years we are going to get rid of the Obamacare disaster. By allowing people the freedom not to have insurance if they don't want it (i.e. don't think they can afford it). After all of the criticizing of Obamacare, it would appear that the only thing wrong with it after all, was that Americans were being told what to do.

In Britain, and Canada, and Australia you are also told what to do as well. It just doesn't feel as 'coerced'. Americans hate coercion. They hate being told they must do something or else. So even though this new 'HealthCare" law will not have any mandate. What will happen is that millions of Americans will 'self-deport' from the Healthcare system because they can. It is an engineered starving of the system of necessary revenue.

Starved for revenue, insurers will quickly revert to their old ways, and in less than a year America will regain its rightful place at the absolute bottom of World (Civilized World) Rankings for health outcomes. It's interesting that a sizeable number of conservatives don't even like this approach to getting America back to the bottom. They want an all out repeal of Obamacare. Now. Period. No replacement, because no replacement is possible. Just a repeal. It is not possible to provide healthcare for Americans! It is only possible to provide health insurance! The difference is key: health care is an ongoing process of diagnostic procedures and health maintenance processes, that together provide increased and maintained wellness for Americans. Health insurance is financial protection from insolvency after a health crisis.

After decades of life without any health insurance (or care) whatsoever, I married someone with very good health care (and insurance). I've been slowly going blind all this time because the operation that could save my sight would cost $100K. Each eye! A two hour procedure, and the hospital, surgeon and anesthesia combine to cost six figures. The same operation in Singapore is $10K. And that, readers, is why Americans cannot have health CARE. My successful friends have health insurance policies with $10K deductibles. They pay $800/mo. in the hope that if they get in a car accident and are facing $1M of medical expenses (easy to do!) they won't be wiped out. But they can't get their teeth cleaned! They can't get colonoscopies! They won't get routine physicals. They don't have health CARE.

Say what you want about Canadians coming here, it isn't the majority. The majority don't NEED to come here to have a life saving liver transplant, because they have been maintaining a healthy liver thanks to the excellent health CARE provided by their governments through applied taxation.

But to (finally) address the thread topic: why do some oppose Universal Health CARE? It is because decades of flat wage inflation has left the Middle Class engine of the economy running on fumes. During my 20's and 30's I worked for government and my health insurance premiums came out of my check. I went 20 years without filing a claim. I didn't mind. I didn't even think about it. I had what I needed.

But most Americans now do not have what they need. As I understand it, a majority of Americans wouldn't be able to cover an unexpected expense of $400 without going into debt! Insurance premiums can easily be double that for a family;
the usual suspects continue to spin Health Care as something that benefits only immigrants and refugees; an MRI for a suspected fracture is $2500, and you have a Perfect Storm of negative energy to foment distrust of any push towards bringing America into a more First World deployment of Health CARE to its citizens.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:11 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,497,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
So finally after 6 years we are going to get rid of the Obamacare disaster. By allowing people the freedom not to have insurance if they don't want it (i.e. don't think they can afford it). After all of the criticizing of Obamacare, it would appear that the only thing wrong with it after all, was that Americans were being told what to do.
This isn't true. You are penalized for not having health insurance in the new bill just like in the ACA. Only difference is, instead of paying the penalty to the IRS (which funds health subsidies), you're paying it to the health insurance company (which funds their salaries). This is the 30% premium surcharge for people without continuous coverage.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,970,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
This isn't true. You are penalized for not having health insurance in the new bill just like in the ACA. Only difference is, instead of paying the penalty to the IRS (which funds health subsidies), you're paying it to the health insurance company (which funds their salaries). This is the 30% premium surcharge for people without continuous coverage.
That only applies if you ever re-apply for insurance. If you let your phone service lapse there is no financial penalty, however, you will be charged a hefty fee to reconnect. What if you (think you) never need phone service ever again?

Old 03-07-2017, 12:53 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,136,949 times
So, if we allow people to not have insurance, can we also allow hospitals to refuse coverage/treatment for those without insurance???? You can't have it both ways.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,971,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
So, if we allow people to not have insurance, can we also allow hospitals to refuse coverage/treatment for those without insurance???? You can't have it both ways.
Some people may be able to pay cash.

I think a more pertinent question is whether treatment should be refused to those who cannot pay whether they have insurance (e.g. cannot afford to pay the deductible or copays) or not.

And that then becomes a question of what kind of society we want to be.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:27 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,497,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
That only applies if you ever re-apply for insurance. If you let your phone service lapse there is no financial penalty, however, you will be charged a hefty fee to reconnect. What if you (think you) never need phone service ever again?
This is true, but it's kind of like a de-facto mandate because everyone's gonna need insurance some time. Whether they can see that or not is TBD I guess. If the insurance companies don't get enough of those (healthy) people who buy in, rates are going to skyrocket for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance