Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 09:05 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,262,034 times

Advertisements

Give your prescriber a call. Explain you're going to be without the drug and ask if they have any Trulicity samples. If they do not, they may be able to call their drug rep and get you an emergency 1-week supply. I'm a prescriber, and that is what I would do for a patient in your situation. If you get rebuffed immediately by the front desk/receptionist, ask to leave a message for the prescriber to call you back. (Sometimes the front desk people think they are doing a favor for the prescriber by running interference with patient phone calls.) Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 06:15 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
You need to blame the pbms. For many brand name drugs, it is not in the pharmacy's financial interest to fill. I have many in which I loose $20 or more for a one month supply. Sometimes you will break even for a 30 day but loose significant sums for a 90 day.
Yes. I tried to use a coupon from GoodRx at Rite Aid last week, and they told me they’re not excepting good RX coupons currently because the prices listed on the app are too low and they can’t honor them. They did however put their own coupon code in from a different plan and it wasn’t that much more than that GoodRx price.

That said, I don’t understand the pricing when it comes to quantity. I used to get a 30 day supply of one prescription, and it was about $55. The last time I went, my doctor wanted me to start taking to a day, so she wrote the same prescription but for 60. 60 of the same prescription at the same pharmacy was $138. Why? It’s not the pharmacy doing this by the way, it’s the insurance company.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:34 AM

792 posts, read 1,177,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Give your prescriber a call. Explain you're going to be without the drug and ask if they have any Trulicity samples. If they do not, they may be able to call their drug rep and get you an emergency 1-week supply. I'm a prescriber, and that is what I would do for a patient in your situation. If you get rebuffed immediately by the front desk/receptionist, ask to leave a message for the prescriber to call you back. (Sometimes the front desk people think they are doing a favor for the prescriber by running interference with patient phone calls.) Good luck!
WHY didn't I think of that??? Thank you!!!
In the meantime I did get a hold of my state Board of Pharmacy and I'm to fill out a form with more specifics so they can investigate.
What if this had been a life threatening medication.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:44 PM

1,203 posts, read 618,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
WHY didn't I think of that??? Thank you!!!
In the meantime I did get a hold of my state Board of Pharmacy and I'm to fill out a form with more specifics so they can investigate.
What if this had been a life threatening medication.

Unless the office have samples, this is not a possibility. It's rare from an office to have samples of refrigerated items. The box which the pharmacy gets cannot be broken.

From a legal perspective, no law was broken. They asked for a favor. You received the drug.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:56 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,507,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
which other merchants do you expect should lose money for your convenience?
Whaaat??? Should I care if a merchant loses money on a sale to me? Oh wait, it's a known marketing tactic called a "loss leader".

Keeping in mind that no merchant is forced to sell something, I expect all merchants to be willing to lose money selling to me if they want to.

What is wrong here is for the pharmacist to have called the customer after the sale with this complaint. Frankly, it smells very fishy that this would have happened at all.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:41 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,291,657 times
Don’t waste anymore energy being upset with the pharmacist. Life is too short and it’s in the past.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Whaaat??? Should I care if a merchant loses money on a sale to me? Oh wait, it's a known marketing tactic called a "loss leader".

Keeping in mind that no merchant is forced to sell something, I expect all merchants to be willing to lose money selling to me if they want to.

What is wrong here is for the pharmacist to have called the customer after the sale with this complaint. Frankly, it smells very fishy that this would have happened at all.
I appreciate your understanding.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Don’t waste anymore energy being upset with the pharmacist. Life is too short and it’s in the past.
You are so right! Thank you.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:56 AM

3,050 posts, read 3,319,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
Parnassia,
On my OP I was only wanting to know if it is wrong for me to be peeved at the pharmacist who suggested I only get a one month prescription because a 90 day would cause them to lose money.
Then other posts added and viola.
I'm sure you are right that every consumer's situation is different. I was only wanting feedback on mine.
Are you sure the 30 day or 90 day is all that different? For example if you pay $20 for one month (2 pens) then $60 for 3(6 pens)? Hopefully the pharmacy is close to you in taking no time to go & get your meds.

Maybe the pharmacist could have explained what the difference is better. Only they will know what the full actual retail price is. If Trulicity charges $1000/ pen x2 gets expensive fast. For name brand not generic items can be difficult to find retail price, wholesale price, then your price before deductible, after deductible, donut hole price etc.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:12 AM

I have a coupon from the Trulicity website stating I'm to pay $25 a month regardless if it's 1 month supply or 3 months supply.
Not to worry. Tomorrow is March 1st and I will have insurance once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance