Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 06:38 PM

1,306 posts, read 853,380 times

Advertisements

Hi
Is there a way you can add an unmarried partner on to a health insurance plan with your employer [even if you have to pay more than adding a spouse]
How do I approach with my health insurance carrier or employer

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 08:27 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Hi
Is there a way you can add an unmarried partner on to a health insurance plan with your employer [even if you have to pay more than adding a spouse]
How do I approach with my health insurance carrier or employer
Talk to Human Resources - the people who handle your firm's benefits. This isn't a mandated benefit, so your firm's policies will determine coverage for unmarried domestic partners. It shouldn't be any more expensive than adding a legal spouse.
Quote:
Domestic Partnerships and Health Insurance

Some cities, states, and private employers offer domestic partner benefits to their employees. And before same-sex marriage became legal, several states had passed laws creating domestic partnerships and/or civil unions which allowed same-sex couples to register their unions in order to obtain the same or similar state marriage benefits that married couples enjoyed. Since the United States Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage throughout the country, many states have eliminated civil unions and domestic partnerships. However, a handful of states continue to allow them.

If you're in a domestic partnership state, you might be able to obtain insurance for your partner. A majority of the country's largest corporations offer domestic partner benefits. You can find a list of Fortune 500 companies that provide domestic partner benefits, as well as other information on benefits, on the Human Rights Campaign website. You can also contact your human resource director to see if your employer offers health insurance to domestic partners.

Even if your employer does provide domestic partner health benefits, federal law does not recognize domestic partners as spouses for tax purposes. Tax law treats any premium you pay to cover your domestic partner to be taxable income, not a pre-tax deduction from income as it is when the employee is covering a spouse.

Also, be aware that the federal COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) health insurance rules don't apply to your partner if you lose or leave your job. Under COBRA, your employer must allow you to continue health insurance coverage for a certain period of time, as long as you pay the premiums. The law doesn't entitle your partner to continue domestic partner benefits, as would be the case if you were married.

If your employer doesn't provide domestic partner health benefits, and your partner doesn't get benefits through a job (or doesn't work), see whether your employer will agree to cover your partner on its health plan if you pay for the premiums. Group plans available through employment are usually less expensive and often provide better coverage than individual plans.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...apter4-10.html

Old 06-22-2021, 08:34 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
The only way, is to say you're a "gay" couple.

Sorry, "domestic partners."

Yes, it's discrimination.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:59 AM

I'm not gay, I was talking about a female unmarried partner

Old 06-24-2021, 07:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It depends on the employer, the city and state. Some employers, like mine, offer medical to domestic partners. Some cities might mandate that employers offer this, and some states, such as ours (Washington) require it for all state and local government employers.

Old 06-24-2021, 12:45 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
There are different definitions of "domestic partners". Find out the definition in your state/city/employer

" Civil unions provide all of the rights and responsibilities afforded to married couples under the laws of the State of Illinois, such as employee insurance coverage, sick leave, and death benefits. Entering into a civil union does not afford you the protections or benefits of federal law, such as tax benefits enjoyed by married couples under the United States Internal Revenue Code. "

http://www.nottageandward.com/domestic-partnership.html

"Understanding Domestic Partnerships and Domestic Partner Insurance: How to Get Coverage When You and Your Partner Aren't Married"

https://www.thebalance.com/domestic-...ce-101-2645680

https://www.iii.org/article/domestic-partners

Last edited by Lillie767; 06-24-2021 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-24-2021, 01:09 PM

45 posts, read 27,144 times
Quote:
I'm not gay, I was talking about a female unmarried partner
Why cant you just get married instead of playing house?! I don't understand why people can't see that person as important enough to live with but not respect them by making it LEGAL. your "partner" should not be allowed on any of your insurance. Better yet , why cant SHE go get A JOB WITH INSURANCE?!

NOT SORRY

Old 06-24-2021, 01:11 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cats2fish44 View Post
Why cant you just get married instead of playing house?! I don't understand why people can't see that person as important enough to live with but not respect them by making it LEGAL. your "partner" should not be allowed on any of your insurance. Better yet , why cant SHE go get A JOB WITH INSURANCE?!

NOT SORRY
Judge Judy always says she's not interested in people who decide to "play house".

Old 06-26-2021, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cats2fish44 View Post

NOT SORRY
because the best way to avoid divorce is to not get married

she plans to get a job but may take a few months

Old 06-26-2021, 06:44 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
because the best way to avoid divorce is to not get married

she plans to get a job but may take a few months
That's fine, just don't expect to get the legal benefits if you don't take the legal step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance