Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 03:33 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,891 times

Advertisements

My husband turns 65 in March and is having a difficult time applying for Medicare. This should not be an issue. What is he doing wrong? Should he apply online, make an appointment, or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 03:46 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
You didn't describe what his difficulties were so it's hard to comment. I applied right online: easy peasy. The hardest part is choosing what supplemental parts or coverage you might want to purchase. Just about everything you need to know:

https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-...p-for-medicare

If he wants to talk with a knowledgeable human about optional plans, calling your state's SHIP office could be very helpful. A SHIP office search can also be reached through the link above but I saved you a little time:

https://www.shiphelp.org/

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-18-2023 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-18-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You didn't describe what his difficulties were so it's hard to comment. I applied right online: easy peasy. The hardest part is choosing what supplemental parts or coverage you might want to purchase. Just about everything you need to know:

https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-...p-for-medicare

If he wants to talk with a knowledgeable human about optional plans, calling your state's SHIP office could be very helpful. A SHIP office search can also be reached through the link above but I saved you a little time:

https://www.shiphelp.org/
You have helped so much! Thank you!

Old 01-18-2023, 05:24 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
When my husband was 2 months before 65 we attended a Medicare information get together at our local library. I think AARP sponsored it, not sure. They were not selling anything, just giving information.

After more reading (some at city-data I think) he chose a plan and signed up...well he thought he did. What happened was a man showed up at our home after calling and he signed husband up but NOT for the plan he wanted. That took more calls to cancel and caused stress. My suggestion: talk to SHIP and don't let anyone come to your home, those are salespeople who have their own agenda which in our case was very different than what we asked for.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:30 PM

3,049 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
My husband turns 65 in March and is having a difficult time applying for Medicare. This should not be an issue. What is he doing wrong? Should he apply online, make an appointment, or what?
Don't know your particular situation so can't comment much.

There have been reports of poor service due to rise in applicants & lack of workers. If an office is convenient for you make your appointment. Or go online.

Don't know if you have independent insurance agency that handles health care.

Beware of scam callers on the telephone selling you anything.

Old 01-18-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Don't know your particular situation so can't comment much.

There have been reports of poor service due to rise in applicants & lack of workers. If an office is convenient for you make your appointment. Or go online.

Don't know if you have independent insurance agency that handles health care.

Beware of scam callers on the telephone selling you anything.
Yes, every time my husband calls, he is on hold for a minimum of 45 min, and then the call gets “dropped”. We are both registered nurses so we know “the system”, but find it difficult to navigate. Thank you for your advice.

Old 01-18-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
When my husband was 2 months before 65 we attended a Medicare information get together at our local library. I think AARP sponsored it, not sure. They were not selling anything, just giving information.

After more reading (some at city-data I think) he chose a plan and signed up...well he thought he did. What happened was a man showed up at our home after calling and he signed husband up but NOT for the plan he wanted. That took more calls to cancel and caused stress. My suggestion: talk to SHIP and don't let anyone come to your home, those are salespeople who have their own agenda which in our case was very different than what we asked for.
100% agree with this. I work as an RN and see the ridiculousness in “advantage plans”. We are very cautious.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:33 PM

492 posts, read 406,287 times
There are at least 2 well-regarded nationwide Medicare insurance agencies. I don't recall the names, but you can search this site for them. Or hopefully, someone experienced in using them will post more info.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:02 AM

247 posts, read 177,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
There are at least 2 well-regarded nationwide Medicare insurance agencies. I don't recall the names, but you can search this site for them. Or hopefully, someone experienced in using them will post more info.
People here have had good experience with both Boomer Benefits and Medicare Nationwide.

They might be able to help with an issue signing up for Medicare.

I was able to sign-up for Medicare no problem. I used Medicare Nationwide for an Medigap plan and a Part D plan. I was very satisfied with their help and service.

But then, I has researched it and basically knew what Medigap plan I wanted (Plan G-HD) and what insurance company (United American).

Old 01-20-2023, 12:56 PM

492 posts, read 406,287 times
MedicareNationwide.com 888-559-0103
BoomerBenefits.com 817-249-8600
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance