Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:18 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times

Advertisements

Just thought you might want to see this:

Swine Flu Pandemic: Where did it come from?

Swine Flu Pandemic: Where Did It Come From? | Global Research TV (http://tv.globalresearch.ca/content/swine-flu-pandemic-where-did-it-come - broken link)

WHO Plays Dubious Role in Swine Flu Pandemic

:..... 'Under the new meaning, a pandemic does not need to cause high numbers of death or illness', writes Truthout. 'A month after changing the definition, with just 144 people dead from H1N1, the flu was given the WHO's highest threat classification: a "stage-six pandemic alert." By comparison, the mildest 20th century pandemic killed a million people'."

People who get the Flu Shot are Twice as Likely to Get the Flu
People Who Get a Seasonal Flu Shot Are Twice as Likely to Catch Swine Flu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:15 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Just thought you might want to see this:

Swine Flu Pandemic: Where did it come from?

Swine Flu Pandemic: Where Did It Come From? | Global Research TV (http://tv.globalresearch.ca/content/swine-flu-pandemic-where-did-it-come - broken link)

:..... 'Under the new meaning, a pandemic does not need to cause high numbers of death or illness', writes Truthout. 'A month after changing the definition, with just 144 people dead from H1N1, the flu was given the WHO's highest threat classification: a "stage-six pandemic alert." By comparison, the mildest 20th century pandemic killed a million people'."

People who get the Flu Shot are Twice as Likely to Get the Flu
People Who Get a Seasonal Flu Shot Are Twice as Likely to Catch Swine Flu

Your point? Pandemic just means geographically widespread.

The last link is to information almost a year old. The seasonal flu vaccine - swine flu link was not found in other countries. See here: CDC Reports No Increased H1N1 Risk From Seasonal Flu Shot - ABC News . H1N1 is swine flu.

Here is the info on the 2010-2011 vaccine, which will be recommended to Canadians, also: Influenza vaccine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The seasonal flu vaccine will include H1N1 this year. Two separate shots will not be necessary.

Readers are encouraged to discuss with their family doctors whether they should take the vaccine or not.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your point? Pandemic just means geographically widespread.

The last link is to information almost a year old. The seasonal flu vaccine - swine flu link was not found in other countries. See here: CDC Reports No Increased H1N1 Risk From Seasonal Flu Shot - ABC News . H1N1 is swine flu.

Here is the info on the 2010-2011 vaccine, which will be recommended to Canadians, also: Influenza vaccine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The seasonal flu vaccine will include H1N1 this year. Two separate shots will not be necessary.

Readers are encouraged to discuss with their family doctors whether they should take the vaccine or not.
Why should readers discuss it with a doctor? I think they would already know what he/she would advise without having to pay to hear it . I'd encourage readers *not* to discuss it with their doc .

I'd be thinking it would be more fruitful if readers took a little more responsibility for their own health and made a decision for themselves, weighing up all information available and acting on that rather than just following the mob because the media insists it's a good thing to be vaccinated . The doc is not giving medical advice necessarily anyway, he/she is only going on what they have read or are have been told .

I'll throw in a thought here that's bugged me for some time...I wonder how many mothers have taken into consideration how many innoculations they've had given to their kids? I think it would be prudent to consider how many vaccinations one can be given, and still remain in good health considering any/all *other* ingredients which may be included in those vaccinations .

From a blokes point of view, I don't believe enough time {in years} has lapsed in making one feel very confident that nothing 'untoward' may arise sometime in the future for those kids. There's a whole string of titles or letters tagged to countless seemingly prior unnamed ailments in recent years. I know one shiela who's had about 5 or 6 innoculations given to her kid, and that kid wasn't even 2 years old ! To my knowledge the natural immune system is still developing in kids up to around 2 years of age, or even much later. I reckon a kid deserves better care than that .

Surely there are only so many innoculations the natural immune system can take? The way I see it is, the more vaccinations the less natural immunity...at the end of the day I'd be thinking one would be more likely to be reliant on medications of some sort most of their lives to maintain good health cos their natural immune system was shot to pieces as a kid?

Just a thought from a male perspective ...but being 60, and growing up mucking about in all manner of 'stuff', I'm pretty healthy and can't remember the last time I went to a doc...and when I did, it was for something as serious as a common old cold or flu, and I only went cos I needed the doctors note to get paid for being off work .

Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 AM

Ino:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
Why should readers discuss it with a doctor? I think they would already know what he/she would advise without having to pay to hear it . I'd encourage readers *not* to discuss it with their doc .

I'd be thinking it would be more fruitful if readers took a little more responsibility for their own health and made a decision for themselves, weighing up all information available and acting on that rather than just following the mob because the media insists it's a good thing to be vaccinated . The doc is not giving medical advice necessarily anyway, he/she is only going on what they have read or are have been told .

Discuss it with your doctor in order to make an informed decision. There are some people who do not need it. And how is advice from a doc not medical advice?

I'll throw in a thought here that's bugged me for some time...I wonder how many mothers have taken into consideration how many innoculations they've had given to their kids? I think it would be prudent to consider how many vaccinations one can be given, and still remain in good health considering any/all *other* ingredients which may be included in those vaccinations.

If you add up all the "ingredients" in all the vaccines a child is given, the number is extremely tiny compared to the "ingredients" the child is exposed to daily in air, food, and water. Children with truly defective immune systems get sick and die unless they are put into a protective bubble.

From a blokes point of view, I don't believe enough time {in years} has lapsed in making one feel very confident that nothing 'untoward' may arise sometime in the future for those kids. There's a whole string of titles or letters tagged to countless seemingly prior unnamed ailments in recent years. I know one shiela who's had about 5 or 6 innoculations given to her kid, and that kid wasn't even 2 years old ! To my knowledge the natural immune system is still developing in kids up to around 2 years of age, or even much later. I reckon a kid deserves better care than that .

If young children did not have good immune systems, they would get infections from even minor cuts and scrapes. They would die from common colds. A healthy child has a very competent immune system.

Surely there are only so many innoculations the natural immune system can take? The way I see it is, the more vaccinations the less natural immunity...at the end of the day I'd be thinking one would be more likely to be reliant on medications of some sort most of their lives to maintain good health cos their natural immune system was shot to pieces as a kid?

No, there is no cap on the number of vaccines the immune system can take. Vaccines do nothing to damage the immune system. The immune system responds to the vaccine in exactly the same way it would to the natural infection the vaccine is designed to prevent. The immunity conferred by a vaccine is just as natural as the immunity conferred by an infection.

Just a thought from a male perspective ...but being 60, and growing up mucking about in all manner of 'stuff', I'm pretty healthy and can't remember the last time I went to a doc...and when I did, it was for something as serious as a common old cold or flu, and I only went cos I needed the doctors note to get paid for being off work .

And there are plenty of nasty illnesses you could have caught, but didn't, because of vaccines. I hope you have been vaccinated against tetanus! That is one of the problems. People these days do not see their children die of measles or whooping cough or tetanus or polio or have a child with birth defects due to rubella or a child die from diarrhea or pneumonia --- unless they live in a third world country without good access to vaccines. Stop vaccinating, and all those infections will come back. Influenza can kill, too. Do not take vaccines if you do not want them for yourself, but do not rationalize your decision with biologic misinformation. The immune system does not work the way you see it.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,578 times
Suzy's snipped quotes:
[Discuss it with your doctor in order to make an informed decision. There are some people who do not need it. And how is advice from a doc not medical advice?]
I'd need to go OT to answer this adequately, so I can respond to only one point here...I agree, some people might not need it.

[...Children with truly defective immune systems get sick and die unless they are put into a protective bubble.]

Yep, I agree again, but unless it's pretty much in evidence at birth, how does one know if a kids immune system is defective otherwise? It seems the vast majority of kids haven't been given the chance to find out.

[If young children did not have good immune systems, they would get infections from even minor cuts and scrapes...etc etc...A healthy child has a very competent immune system.]

But when kids are innoculated for 'this' and 'that' willy-nilly at such a young age, how does one know if the child has a competent immune system when they haven't been given the chance to find out? That's the way I look at it. It appears in most cases whenever there is mention of yet another vaccination available, mum trots the kid off to get it. I get the impression they are going to innoculate the immune system out of existance.

[No, there is no cap on the number of vaccines the immune system can take. Vaccines do nothing to damage the immune system.]

Oops, I'm going to have to disagree most strongly on this. As I suggested, I don't think there has been anywhere near enough years passed to make that statement, especially with the ever growing number of vaccinations coming on the market. Tell me that in another 20-30 years and I may be able to agree with you, but I can't right now.

[And there are plenty of nasty illnesses you could have caught,...etc etc]

That's right, and back then there were only a handful of vaccinations available, the ones you mentioned in fact, and Tetanus is one which should be redone every 5 or 10 years as far as I know, {and one should be tested *before* being given a Tetanus shot anyway}, my last one was before I was going to school and I come from the country and have had plenty of cuts and scrapes over 50 odd years and never got Tetanus. I'm encouraged to suggest that my exposure to those many and varied wonderful little bugs and germs etc has resulted in a very good immune system. I'm concerned kids, and I'm talking little kids here, today don't seem to get the opportunity to develop a natural immunity to things. Whenever a knew vaccination hits the shelf most mums I know or hear of trot junior off to the doc to get it. From a personal perspective, I just don't think that's wise.

[Stop vaccinating, and all those infections will come back.]

I would be thinking that with the vast improvements in self hygiene, diet, sanitation etc etc nowadays they may *not* come back too...and if they did come back, I'd have to wonder why? Could it be that all those innoculations they got as a child has obliterated their immune systems? Dunno about you but I certainly think about that.

I'm not against innoculations you understand, but I am concerned with the vast number of them that are hitting the shelf, and the number of mums taking their little kids to get them without a second thought. It seems old Hypocrates doctrine of "give the body the means to heal itself" {something like that anyway} is being traded off in our modern age.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:34 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
I'm not gonna get into the vaccinate/don't vaccinate discussion, it's too emotional, but here's what I do:

As winter approaches, I do everything I know how to do to bolster a healthy immune system:

--ramp up my vitamin C intake through foods and supplements
--start using a lot of garlic in my cooking, make hummos with fresh garlic and use instead of peanut butter, for example
--eat a lot of carrots, sweet potatoes and take beta-carotene pills
--take vitamin e, add in fish oil sometimes if I'm not eating fish. But I eat canned Alaskan Salmon or tuna 1-2 week and that seems to work fine
--try to avoid all the sugar-y holiday treats (but it's hard!!)
--wash my hands frequently with soap and hot water often--especially after coming from a public place like the gym or the grocery store

So who care, what's the big deal?

I rarely catch a cold or flu even when others around me are dropping like flies...and if I do catch some bug, it's mild and passes quickly.

Never had a flu shot, likely never will.

Seems like every time I fly somewhere, though, I come down with some bug. These days I try to keep my feet on the ground and not in the air. What is it--is a plane a closed container of seething microbes and bacteria??

Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 PM

Ino ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
[...Children with truly defective immune systems get sick and die unless they are put into a protective bubble.]

Yep, I agree again, but unless it's pretty much in evidence at birth, how does one know if a kids immune system is defective otherwise? It seems the vast majority of kids haven't been given the chance to find out.

But kids with immune problems start getting sick within a few months after they are born. Untreated, they die within months.

[If young children did not have good immune systems, they would get infections from even minor cuts and scrapes...etc etc...A healthy child has a very competent immune system.]

But when kids are innoculated for 'this' and 'that' willy-nilly at such a young age, how does one know if the child has a competent immune system when they haven't been given the chance to find out? That's the way I look at it. It appears in most cases whenever there is mention of yet another vaccination available, mum trots the kid off to get it. I get the impression they are going to innoculate the immune system out of existance.

As I said above, if the immune system is not healthy, the child starts getting sick with infections. For example, children with leukemia --- who have very impaired immune systems --- frequently have an infection as the first symptom of the disease. And children who are on chemo for leukemia or other cancers do not get vaccines --- their immune systems are suppressed and they cannot respond appropriately to the vaccines.

A vaccine only stimulates the immune system to produce protective antibodies against the disease for which the vaccine is made. It is not as if there is a finite amount of "immunity" and you can some how use it up. The vaccine does not weaken the immune system; it strengthens it.

[No, there is no cap on the number of vaccines the immune system can take. Vaccines do nothing to damage the immune system.]

Oops, I'm going to have to disagree most strongly on this. As I suggested, I don't think there has been anywhere near enough years passed to make that statement, especially with the ever growing number of vaccinations coming on the market. Tell me that in another 20-30 years and I may be able to agree with you, but I can't right now.

But the concept of vaccines goes back to Edward Jenner, who came up with a way to vaccinate against smallpox in 1796. And due to a massive worldwide vaccination program, no one in the world has had smallpox in 30 years. That is over 200 years worth of experience with a single vaccine!

[And there are plenty of nasty illnesses you could have caught,...etc etc]

That's right, and back then there were only a handful of vaccinations available, the ones you mentioned in fact, and Tetanus is one which should be redone every 5 or 10 years as far as I know, {and one should be tested *before* being given a Tetanus shot anyway}, my last one was before I was going to school and I come from the country and have had plenty of cuts and scrapes over 50 odd years and never got Tetanus. I'm encouraged to suggest that my exposure to those many and varied wonderful little bugs and germs etc has resulted in a very good immune system. I'm concerned kids, and I'm talking little kids here, today don't seem to get the opportunity to develop a natural immunity to things. Whenever a knew vaccination hits the shelf most mums I know or hear of trot junior off to the doc to get it. From a personal perspective, I just don't think that's wise.

But the "opportunity to develop a 'natural' immunity to things" comes at the risk of serious illness and death. Most kids will have chicken pox and not have anything to show for it except a few scars. Some will get pneumonia and die. Keep in mind that the diseases for which vaccination is recommended are not trivial. (That is the reason we do not vaccinate against colds --- there are too many cold viruses and very little risk of serious illness.) The diseases we vaccinate against have the potential to cause death or extreme disability. For example, one of the newer vaccines protects against meningococcal meningitis, which has a high fatality rate. Survivors can have neurologic and other problems, some even ending up with limb amputations.

[Stop vaccinating, and all those infections will come back.]

I would be thinking that with the vast improvements in self hygiene, diet, sanitation etc etc nowadays they may *not* come back too...and if they did come back, I'd have to wonder why? Could it be that all those innoculations they got as a child has obliterated their immune systems? Dunno about you but I certainly think about that.

But they do come back. This is what happens when people stop vaccinating:
BBC NEWS | Health | Rise in measles 'very worrying'.
The vaccines do not "obliterate" the immune system. The diseases come back because unimmunized people are susceptible to the infection. And these are very contagious, usually airborne, infections that are not easily controlled with hygienic measures.

What I think about are the children who will not die or be disabled physically or mentally because they were vaccinated.

I'm not against innoculations you understand, but I am conce
rned with the vast number of them that are hitting the shelf, and the number of mums taking their little kids to get them without a second thought. It seems old Hypocrates doctrine of "give the body the means to heal itself" {something like that anyway} is being traded off in our modern age.

I believe that Hippocrates said, "First, do no harm." Nowadays, we certainly offer treatments that carry a risk of harm. We have to consider the benefits against those risks. Only the individual patient and his doctor can decide if the benefits outweigh the risks. For childhood vaccines, the benefits are immense and the risks very small.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm not gonna get into the vaccinate/don't vaccinate discussion, it's too emotional, but here's what I do:

As winter approaches, I do everything I know how to do to bolster a healthy immune system:

--ramp up my vitamin C intake through foods and supplements
--start using a lot of garlic in my cooking, make hummos with fresh garlic and use instead of peanut butter, for example
--eat a lot of carrots, sweet potatoes and take beta-carotene pills
--take vitamin e, add in fish oil sometimes if I'm not eating fish. But I eat canned Alaskan Salmon or tuna 1-2 week and that seems to work fine
--try to avoid all the sugar-y holiday treats (but it's hard!!)
--wash my hands frequently with soap and hot water often--especially after coming from a public place like the gym or the grocery store

So who care, what's the big deal?

I rarely catch a cold or flu even when others around me are dropping like flies...and if I do catch some bug, it's mild and passes quickly.

Never had a flu shot, likely never will.

Seems like every time I fly somewhere, though, I come down with some bug. These days I try to keep my feet on the ground and not in the air. What is it--is a plane a closed container of seething microbes and bacteria??
Certainly keeping yourself generally healthy is a great way to keep your immune system in tiptop shape. I am not sure the specific dietary measures you describe have anything to do with it (except the garlic may encourage folks not to get too close and breathe on you! ) The biggest factor is handwashing. Also, try to keep your hands away from your face.

It would be wise to consider the flu shot. If enough people in the community do choose to get vaccinated, then the risk of unvaccinated people getting sick goes down, because they are less likely to come in contact with someone with the flu. That is called "herd immunity". But it is not wise to count on herd immunity to protect you as an individual. If you do catch it, then you risk passing it on to susceptible family members, friends, and coworkers.

Yes, airplanes just recirculate bug laden air, but that air is also dry, which makes the airways more susceptible to infection. Keep well hydrated.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Default Influenza vaccine

See here: http://bjmp.org/files/2010-3-2/bjmp-2010-3-2-320.pdf

Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Thanks for raising this question!

My dietary practices are based on sound medical and nutritional advice to support a healthy immune system--and prevent illness, including flu and colds.

Here's a link to an article on WebMD that explains the why and how..it's very interesting, and this party of one is here to say it works:

Antioxidant-Rich Foods for Immune System Health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness