Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:04 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times

Advertisements

I know something isn't right with me and I'm not sure if I'm just scared over my new job or what. It has been two weeks and I still have had very little training and I can't seem to get the anxiety out of my head. The computer system is awful, but, that is beside the point. I can't seem to even make much of a decison about what to eat for dinner, and I just have chronic anxiety every day of my life that just changes from between a 4 to a full blown heart thumping heart palpatation. Nagging dread....I know I guess I should call my doctor, but, if I make an appointment they won't be able to see me for a bit and my new job just expects me to work every available hour. They do have an employee assistance line, but, I have no cell service at work and I can't use the phone at work in front of everybody. My neck aches with tension and I feel the stress pump through my body that causes a physical dizziness. When people yell at me all day at work I feel ready to walk out of work much of the day. I'm frustrated by my job and my lack of confidance. I don't know how I held it all together in the past when the problems were really going down. I want my husband to feel loved not put down by a wacky wife who just turls her hair and cries, for three hours then runs around thrilled and happy that she got new Ugg bots the other two hours. I just don't know if I should drive myself off to the ER or just suck it up and realize I will get better like a normal person and get over it. Sorry for this rambling vent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 07:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I know something isn't right with me and I'm not sure if I'm just scared over my new job or what. It has been two weeks and I still have had very little training and I can't seem to get the anxiety out of my head. The computer system is awful, but, that is beside the point. I can't seem to even make much of a decison about what to eat for dinner, and I just have chronic anxiety every day of my life that just changes from between a 4 to a full blown heart thumping heart palpatation. Nagging dread....I know I guess I should call my doctor, but, if I make an appointment they won't be able to see me for a bit and my new job just expects me to work every available hour. They do have an employee assistance line, but, I have no cell service at work and I can't use the phone at work in front of everybody. My neck aches with tension and I feel the stress pump through my body that causes a physical dizziness. When people yell at me all day at work I feel ready to walk out of work much of the day. I'm frustrated by my job and my lack of confidance. I don't know how I held it all together in the past when the problems were really going down. I want my husband to feel loved not put down by a wacky wife who just turls her hair and cries, for three hours then runs around thrilled and happy that she got new Ugg bots the other two hours. I just don't know if I should drive myself off to the ER or just suck it up and realize I will get better like a normal person and get over it. Sorry for this rambling vent
Ap, the ER is not the place for you - unless you're feeling like you might possibly be having a real heart attack or feel like you might actually hurt yourself.

YOU NEED TO CALL YOUR FAMILY DOC FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. Tell them this is an emergency and they must fit you in either tomorrow or the next day. There are good medications that will end this misery for you in the short term until you can get a grip on your life.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ap, the ER is not the place for you - unless you're feeling like you might possibly be having a real heart attack or feel like you might actually hurt yourself.

YOU NEED TO CALL YOUR FAMILY DOC FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. Tell them this is an emergency and they must fit you in either tomorrow or the next day. There are good medications that will end this misery for you in the short term until you can get a grip on your life.

I'm thinking you may have a point. I was thinking working in a pharmacy I my doctor would probably put me on citalapram which is an SSRI with a common side effect of weight gain. I also have issues with my weight so this could be one of my reasons for not wanting medication. I'm trying to think about this in the last 24 hours.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
I agree with loves, you need to talk to your doctor, as a first step.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
I'm thinking you may have a point. I was thinking working in a pharmacy I my doctor would probably put me on citalapram which is an SSRI with a common side effect of weight gain. I also have issues with my weight so this could be one of my reasons for not wanting medication. I'm trying to think about this in the last 24 hours.
You know SSRI's take weeks to get into your system and make a difference. While you might need one, you also need some immediate relief from Xanex or Ativan, something like that. Please call your doc first thing in the morning - I hate that you are suffering this way.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Go to a large bookstore and ask for relaxation tapes. Play it when you first get up, at lunch, and when you first get home at night. They really do work and are used as homework by psychologists. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
First of all, why are people yelling at you all day at work? They have no right to do that. In fact, given what you do, it is downright unprofessional and dangerous. I would be anxious, too.

I once worked with someone who was a bit of a snit. She just got worse and worse until I dreaded coming to work. Then one day I asked to have a word with her in private. I said that when she raised her voice at me, I tune her out and just don't hear her, so if she would like me to understand what she is saying, she'll have to find another way to talk to me. After that, she was actually very easy to work with.

Now, if it's your boss, that is a touchy situation, but you could say the same thing. You could couch it in terms that makes it seem like you're asking your boss to help you, like, "May I ask for your help with understanding this? I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly, but when people raise their voices and yell at me, I have trouble understanding."

You could also let him or her know that you do need training, and that you were wondering what the status is on getting it as you have been there for two weeks and they haven't offered it.

It's a great idea to call your doctor, just to talk it through with a professional. If this is entirely situational, your doctor will have some ideas about how to get the palpitations under control, even if it's taking a beta blocker short term, off-label. You'd be surprised (or, given your work, maybe you wouldn't!) at how many people take a [URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/arts/music/17tind.html"]beta blocker to deal with performance anxiety[/URL]. They'll take one before getting up on a stage, giving a big talk, anything that gives them the jitters or stage fright. I know a few guitarists who swear by it--imagine having a thudding heart while trying to play a guitar. The thing with beta blockers is that they won't affect your thinking like Ativan or Valium would. And honestly? Given your line of work, I'd stay away from sedatives like that on the job. You don't need to make a mistake because your thoughts are thick as molasses. Plus, that stuff messes with your ability to drive.

I know what it's like to work in a toxic environment. If it continues, you might want to look for a new job. My last office job was toxic, and I ended up quitting. The day after I left, my guy said I looked 5 to 10 years younger, practically overnight. I know it's a tough economy, but depending on where you are, with what you do, there are plenty of options. Good luck, Aptor. Hit me up via DM if you'd like.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:59 PM

I went to the doctor today and had a nice chat. I called up my work and quit. I'm totally mortified that I did that, but, thankfully I have a husband and I will do volunteer work and get another job. I do feel like I have let everybody down though

Old 09-13-2010, 02:55 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,054 times
But did that Cure the anxiety?

Do you drink diet soda? It contains aspartame and can cause anxiety and other problems.
It is also linked to weight gain.
Do you eat a lot of food that contains MSG?
It causes the same problems as aspartame.
For info on the many names they use for MSG see:
MSG: a neurotoxic flavor enhancer
This site will also give you info on the many problems it can cause.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
But did that Cure the anxiety?

Do you drink diet soda? It contains aspartame and can cause anxiety and other problems.
It is also linked to weight gain.
Do you eat a lot of food that contains MSG?
It causes the same problems as aspartame.
For info on the many names they use for MSG see:
MSG: a neurotoxic flavor enhancer
This site will also give you info on the many problems it can cause.
No MSG. I only drink a tiny amount of diet coke. I monitor my diet/weight and excercise very closely. I also want to be in a position to help people not just stare helplessly at them and shrug my shoulders at them and tell them to just keep coming back as I stuff my one snack in eight hours in my dehydrated body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness