Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:49 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,032,217 times

Advertisements

OK guys I'm kinda upset right now. So I've been trying to find a clinic to go get tested for STD/STI's in my hometown & I still live at home so my mom's being hella nosy about "why I want to go to the Dr" and it's pissing me off I'm in my early '20s, don't I have a right to privacy?! I mean, I am on her insurance so I guess that's why she wants to know.

I'm not a sexually active person but I have "fooled around" with guys I've dated in the past & would like to just check myself to be sure, I also want to get the HPV vaccine but I haven't been to an obgyn because apparently the last obgyn I went to in my college town said that my "hymen was still intact" etc., she tested me after I broke up with my ex & I was clean. I don't have any signs of any STDs but I'd still like to know if I'm clean in 2011, is that a good call & why is my mom being so nosy about my business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
there's nothing wrong with checking to see that you are healthy, but I'd totally skip the hpv vaccine if I were you......Your mother has every right to get in your face and to know your business if you're living in her home, and she's supporting you.Negative Side Effects & Dangers of Gardasil by Merck

Old 01-03-2011, 06:25 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,032,217 times
Is the HPV Vaccine really worth it?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,463,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Is the HPV Vaccine really worth it?
Most OBGYNs think so, given the fact that is can prevent a deadly form of cancer.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,463,406 times
Quote:
I'm in my early '20s, don't I have a right to privacy?! I mean, I am on her insurance so I guess that's why she wants to know.
This is a very good question. The short, simple answer is that you are an adult, and your mother does not have a legal right to know about your medical treatment, unless you allow her access to this information. The mere fact that you are covered by her insurance policy does not give her a right to access your Protected Health Information. What this means is that your MD will (or should) refuse to release any medical information to your mother without your consent.

That said, it is going to be logistically difficult to hide it from your mother if you get an STD test and/or the HPV Vaccine, if you use insurance to pay for the services. The insurance company will probably send and EOB (Explanation of Benefits) to your mother, which will contain a summary of the services that were rendered. The alternative it to pay for these services out-of-pocket. This is not an inexpensive option, though you might find affordable fees at some women’s clinics.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,730 times
I'd just tell your mom that you want to go for annual checkups and vaccinations. If you haven't gotten the new dTaP (w/ pertussis) then it's probably a good excuse. Also if you haven't gotten hep b and A done. Throw in the HPV vaccine. I don't think some insurances will cover the HPV though so it might cost you a pretty penny. Plus you will need to go multiple times for the injections.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Go to the County Health Dept. Whatever it costs, it will be cheaper than at a doctor's office. Or if you are in school, go to the Student Health Center.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
planned parenthood offers full screenings on an income based scale. most cities have a planned parenthood and many larger towns do too!

good idea on the student health center too

as for the HPV vaccine, i looked into it, i didnt find it worth the risks associated...fristly it only protects against a small number of hpv strains and many of the strains it DOESNT protect against also cause cancer... plus its got a tendency towards some rather nasty side effects.

use protection and it wont be an issue.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:08 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,099,804 times
If you don't want your mom to know, why tell her? I would think that if you are on her insurance, you should still have your own insurance card to take to the doctor with you. Although, when the insurance company processes the claim, they will probably mail her a statement that tells her what they paid, on whatever date of service, and then she'll know you went to the doctor. In that case, you are better off going to your nearest Planned Parenthood for an appointment and information about the vaccine.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 PM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
OK guys I'm kinda upset right now. So I've been trying to find a clinic to go get tested for STD/STI's in my hometown & I still live at home so my mom's being hella nosy about "why I want to go to the Dr" and it's pissing me off I'm in my early '20s, don't I have a right to privacy?! I mean, I am on her insurance so I guess that's why she wants to know.

I'm not a sexually active person but I have "fooled around" with guys I've dated in the past & would like to just check myself to be sure, I also want to get the HPV vaccine but I haven't been to an obgyn because apparently the last obgyn I went to in my college town said that my "hymen was still intact" etc., she tested me after I broke up with my ex & I was clean. I don't have any signs of any STDs but I'd still like to know if I'm clean in 2011, is that a good call & why is my mom being so nosy about my business?
Wouldn't your mom be proud that you actually want to go to a GYN? Every woman should go. If my daughter wanted testing I'd be happy to take her unless your mom doesn't approve of something?

I don't see how you'll be able to keep anything from her if you do use her insurance. Take my daughter who is 17; every time she goes to the Dr her father knows because it's his insurance; just like with your mom- she would know too because of the explanation of benefits. The only way he doesn't know is if we don't use it. I'm also not sure about the medical laws with adult students covered under a parents plan. When my son was going to college; he did not want his dad having access to his grades but we had to because he was paying part of the loan. I know this is not a medical comparison but your mom may also be able to do something similar with your records. Is she required by law to keep medical coverage on you? She could be a biatch & cancel your coverage.

As was mentioned, do your research on the HPV vaccine; because certain women should not get it such as my daughter who has medical problems. If you have any medical problems; no matter how small; you may want to make sure it's not similar to the side effects- say current muscle/joint pain. There are a few posts in this section (search Gardasil) about healthy girls who have had the vaccine but now have health problems from side effects. I have doctors who would not have their child get the vaccine but there are others that would. Everyone needs to make up their own mind about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness