Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times

Advertisements

I have major sleep problems. Anyhow I have tried many meds. Everyone is different though in what works and not. OTC such as Tylenol PM on a regular basis is not good on the liver though so I don't suggest it.

Some meds either a psychiatrist or gp could rx
Trazadone
I have also tried elavil but I also have pain
Serequel
Ambien
Lunesta
Klonopin which is for anxiety but help some sleep
Ativan same for anxiety but also for sleep
I think remeron? I can't recall exactly though

Some is about finding the right dose too or combo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
My sleep problems were cured when it was discovered that I was hypothyroid and I got T3 and T4 supplements that brought my thyroid hormone levels back to normal. Also make sure you are not low on D vitamins (a simple blood test can show that). I live in Southern Arizona where we have no lack of sunlight and I take multi-vitamins religiously with a D RDA. Still the traces of Vitamin D in my blood were almost non-existent. I had to take huge doses in the form of a prescription supplement to get it back to normal.

Inability to go to sleep when you're tired and to stay asleep soundly can be caused by many other medical problems.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,592 times
casomorphin........... (cheese)

Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 AM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
Elavil. It's an old school anti-depressent (amitriptyline) which happens to have the good side-effects of relieving never pain and preventing migraines.
I'm taking 25 mg of elavil for pain but I am taking it in the morning. Should I take it at night as a sleep aid?

I used to use lavender incense. The sticks can be bought on Ebay. The aroma from the smoke helped some. But, in the summer I use a fan by my bed and incense had to be stopped. I may go look on Ebay and try that again.

100 sticks for $5.00
100 - Lavender - Hand Dipped Incense Sticks - Wholesale | eBay

my error, I think I used jasmine. Because the sticks were brown, not purple.

I'm seeing articles that say lavender oil is bad for your skin, so what about lavender oil on a napkin under your pillow or a few drops on the pillow (from Yahoo answers) ?
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

The best will depend, in part, on you. Sandalwood, frankincense, lavender, violet, passion flower, lily, and jasmine can have relaxing and sleep-inducing effects.

Last edited by howard555; 04-03-2011 at 08:20 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Boring movies work for me.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 AM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Boring movies work for me.
you must not have real sleep problems.

The TV might put me to sleep to but then I'd be awakened and have to get up and turn it off and may never get back to sleep.
A timer could be used to turn the TV off after an hour.
Some people can sleep in airplanes, moving cars, in hotel rooms while the other people are watching TV. I can not.
I used to travel with people and they would fall asleep watching TV.
I had to lie there staring at the ceiling until they fell asleep and get up and turn the TV off myself. Sometimes they would wake up and turn the TV back on and WE had to repeat the process.

So, I can see how the question asker's problem can be a problem.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
you must not have real sleep problems.
I do have them from time to time, but I don't take prescriptions...

The noise from tv or music does bother me, but at the same time, so does complete silence.

I've had nights where even the boringest of movies didn't help and I'm forced out of bed in the morning with no sleep at all.

My sleep schedule is far from regular, that's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness