Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times

Advertisements

The computer is the first thing I turn on in the morning and while I'm home I'm generally off and on. Unless it interferes in your other activities or family life, I'd say it's all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,320 times
They've already given it a name - Cyberchondria.

Now I'm just waiting to see how long it will take pharma to bring out a medication or vaccine for all those poor suffering 'Cyberchondriacs'. And what's really sad is that when they do, some people will actually line up for it!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:48 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I'm an addict too--it pretty much goes on as soon as I get up. I'm never late to work because of it, but I have to rush most every day. I don't use it much during my work day, but as soon as I get home I practically beat a path to the computer and spend a couple of hours with it. I almost never watch TV though, and i never use it to play games but I'd say that it's impacting my life in that I don't read as much as I used to and I don't get as much done as I'd like to. Also, though I know how to do crafts like knitting and sewing and I'm a pretty good cook, I don't spend as much time on these as I'd like to either. I am actually not happy with how much time I spend online.

One thing that it has improved though is my social life--now I can look up meetup activities and concerts and showtimes and such, and make up my calendar with ease, so it's not all negative.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:10 AM

88 posts, read 236,721 times
I don't think there is a problem unless a person starts to feel addicted to the internet & is bothered by that fact. Like can't function or do other things without thinking about it all day etc.

I use the internet at various times on weekdays, but I do other activities all weekend & never even turn it on during those days. I go away frequently & never use it at all while I am away as I am occupied with other things.

So, I guess for me, the internet is an enjoyable activity but I could live without it if I really had to.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM2 View Post
I don't think there is a problem unless a person starts to feel addicted to the internet & is bothered by that fact. Like can't function or do other things without thinking about it all day etc.

I use the internet at various times on weekdays, but I do other activities all weekend & never even turn it on during those days. I go away frequently & never use it at all while I am away as I am occupied with other things.

So, I guess for me, the internet is an enjoyable activity but I could live without it if I really had to.
I guess I am bothered in that I felt I was jonesing for a fix. I lasted all of one day and had to go buy another computer. Plus, I don't get other stuff done. At least I don't have my Ebay problem anymore.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times

Old 04-22-2011, 03:33 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Thats's fine all you need to do is to use the internet for money making and stuff instead of recreational stuff. Then you can sit o9n your butt and be addicted to the innernet and make some dosh and not bother going to work.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I think I am addicted to my computer and the Net. It's the first thing I do in the morning, what I do all day (on and off), the last thing I do at night and then even when I wake up I go online.

My computer crashed over the weekend and even though I have a warranty, I could not go the three or four weeks without one. Could you have gone three or four weeks? So I went and bought another one yesterday (cheapest one) just to get back online. I figure if they can fix the other then I'll just have two in case I'm ever in the position again. Ok, so I think I have a problem, but is it really a big deal? I'd venture to guess many on CD have my same problem. Or am I just rationalizing like an addict? I mean, it is more interesting than a lot of people IRL and there are some interesting things to read and it's better than watching TV.
Since you have already noted previously you have addiction problems with substance abuse, the internet could be another one. Suggest you seek treatment for Addictive Personality Disorder.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:28 PM

41 posts, read 14,856 times
The Internet is not either a problem or solution, it depends upon how you use it. It’s time to shut down all your phones and electronic gadgets. The thought of having to do this would most likely cause a mix of strong emotions in many people today. Today’s generation has become too dependent on all digital devices, from their smartphones to their laptops and gaming consoles. This brought the attention of mental health experts to the concept of digital health and wellness.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:17 AM

9 posts, read 10,473 times
People should take out time for themselves. Whenever I am out for dinner with my friends. We always play the game that, one who sees his/her smartphone first, He/she will pay 40% billing amount of the dinner. If always fun to see all friends faces in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness