Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times

Advertisements

I had my doctor run a test on my thyroid and it's 0.99, he said it's normal. I googled to try and find a good site to see where my TSH level is and I can't find one. Today I had him run free t3 and free t4, he said they would be normal since my TSH is normal. But then I had a friend who said that's not always the case. I am almost 80% sure there is something wriong with my thyroid but I can't get my doctor to listen.

Anyone know if TSH 0.99 is on the high or low side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
According to the sheet of bloodwork I had in 2008 (didn't get copies of more recent tests) the normal range for TSH is 0.4-4.0.
Is there some reason you're so concerned you may have thyroid problems?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
The normal reference range for TSH is .5 to 4.5.

Since you're at .9, you are at the low end of normal in the reference range. That means the doctor sees no reason to test you further. If you were out of range or even -near- the max of the range, then the doctor might think, "hm...normal, but on the high side. Let's do further testing."

I found this information in the very first link available when I typed "TSH level."
What Is a Normal Thyroid Stimulating Hormone - TSH - Level? Thyroid Testing -- What is the normal reference range.

In Medline Plus's website, the values are marginally different: between .4 and 4.0. You're still within that range, and still at the low end of the range. If your level was 2.0 and higher (according to this and 4 other random sites I checked), and you were showing signs of thyroid problems, then it would be wise for further testing.

TSH is what the pituitary gland releases. It sends a chemical message to the thyroid to release thyroid hormones T3 and T4. People don't need T3 or T4 tests done, -unless- their doctor feels the patient is showing symptoms of thyroid disorders. OR unless the patient is already being treated for thyroid disorders - in which case it's important to get checked every couple of years to confirm the medications are doing what they need to do.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
well said, AnonChick.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:16 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Get to an endocrinologist for a second opinion if your primary is not listening to you.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
According to the sheet of bloodwork I had in 2008 (didn't get copies of more recent tests) the normal range for TSH is 0.4-4.0.
Is there some reason you're so concerned you may have thyroid problems?

Well for the past 2-3 years my hair has been breaking off and faling out, I have very dry skin, rapid heart beat often and recently I been gaining a pound a week! lol He didn't think anything is wrong with my thyroid so I asked for a free t3 and t4.

All my blood tests come out normal but over the past year they said my blood sugar is a little high but that's non fasting so they said not to worry about it.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Well for the past 2-3 years my hair has been breaking off and faling out, I have very dry skin, rapid heart beat often and recently I been gaining a pound a week! lol He didn't think anything is wrong with my thyroid so I asked for a free t3 and t4.

All my blood tests come out normal but over the past year they said my blood sugar is a little high but that's non fasting so they said not to worry about it.
I'd have your potassium and sodium levels checked. And a kidney function test. If you were dehydrated (this is a hypothetical) you would experience dry skin and possibly hair breakage, fast heart beat, and water retention which can look like weight gain.

The symptoms you're describing, IF they were caused by a thyroid disorder, would be considered symptoms of a later stage hypothyrodism. Except for the rapid heartbeat. That's why I suggest getting your potassium/sodium/kidney function checked.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 PM

I know when they took blood a few months back they said I was low on magnesium and also said I was dehydrated. How would they know I was dehydrated through a blood test?

I have been drinking lots of water like I was told to since 3 weeks ago. so I don't know. But something is up.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
I was thinking that Hashimoto's might be on the differential diagnosis list. Anyone?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
If they have a hard time drawing the blood you're dehydrated, water is a large component of it.
As far as hypo or hyperthyroid, the rapid heartbeat would be a hyperthyroid symptom. It's was the one that sent me to the dr. Before the results of the bloodwork they said it could be due to dehydration, or that some people develop a rapid heartbeat for unknown reasons. Your other symptoms would point to hypothyroid so I do think you need to explore other possibilities. (BTW, your TSH being on the low side puts you closer to having high thyroid function, not low. Confusing, I know.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness