Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

I have osteo-arthritis and Fibromyalgia. A change in weather, ANY change, affects the FM so bad there are days I can barely move.

Some people don't understand that it is not just "damp" or cold weather that hurts. It's CHANGE of weather. It can be from cold to warm, from wet to dry, from gray to sunny, just as easily as the opposite.

Lately, where I live, the weather is different every single day. 80 one day 40 the next. Sunny and dry, dark and damp, there are never two days of consistent weather in a row.

I eat right, get enough protein, limit sugar, get plenty of exercise, when I am able. But this FM pain just flattens me.

Not looking for any advice really. Just want to get the word out there for people who don't seem to understand. A sunny day can knock an FM sufferer right to the ground, if the day before was dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 09:00 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
My wife has RSD and when the Barometer drops so does she like clock work.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:11 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I have osteo-arthritis and Fibromyalgia. A change in weather, ANY change, affects the FM so bad there are days I can barely move.

Some people don't understand that it is not just "damp" or cold weather that hurts. It's CHANGE of weather. It can be from cold to warm, from wet to dry, from gray to sunny, just as easily as the opposite.

Lately, where I live, the weather is different every single day. 80 one day 40 the next. Sunny and dry, dark and damp, there are never two days of consistent weather in a row.

I eat right, get enough protein, limit sugar, get plenty of exercise, when I am able. But this FM pain just flattens me.

Not looking for any advice really. Just want to get the word out there for people who don't seem to understand. A sunny day can knock an FM sufferer right to the ground, if the day before was dark.
Allow me to throw my tinfoil hat into the ring here and suggest that "perhaps" some of the weather is being controlled by electromagnetic impulses which affect us on a neurological level. But this is just a theory, mind you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-07-2011, 09:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I get discomfort from barometric changes too. I don't have Fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue, but I do have some problems with my hips and spine resulting from injury back in the 1980's. A lot of people experience it, so at least you know you're not alone.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I think some of it is the change in pressure when the weather changes.

It is hard to explain to people. Weather changes have made my bones ache for as long as I can remember, but most people couldn't understand it if I tried to describe it. I have a metal plate in my leg now and it's easier for people to understand why that hurts when the weather changes.

I've found that controlling humidity in the house helps me a lot.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I get discomfort from barometric changes too. I don't have Fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue, but I do have some problems with my hips and spine resulting from injury back in the 1980's. A lot of people experience it, so at least you know you're not alone.
Yes, it is helpful to know others have the same problem. People who do not, many don't understand. They think of the old saw of "I can predict a storm from my old injury" type thing, but they don't realize it's ANY change, not just the advent of bad weather.

"But it's a beautiful day, how can you feel bad on a day like this?"

Then we've got a day like today. The temperature is consistent with yesterday, in the 50s. But the weather is not. When I went to bed last night, it was overcast and damp. I woke up in the night with pain, and saw a deep clear sky and many stars. I woke up to clouds and more pain. Shortly after, the clouds moved past and the sun shone. A few hours later, and it's raining. But I can see, in the west some more clear sky coming.

I'd like to do something with the day, get out and hike maybe, and I do have to go out to work later. But every movement makes things worse and I just want to lie as still as possible on the couch and wait for the day to pass.

A few days of consistent weather, if we ever get it, can work wonders.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
It's the atmospheric pressure. We are mostly water in our cells and they are "set" to current pressure. When the pressure changes rapidly, our cells can't adjust as rapidly. When the pressure drops, our cells bulge outwards with too much interior pressure and press on nerve cells. Any spot where you have a soft tissue injury will hurt. Any spot where you have a bone protrusion will hurt.

No idea why it hurts when the pressure goes up, i.e., nice day.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:00 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It's the atmospheric pressure. We are mostly water in our cells and they are "set" to current pressure. When the pressure changes rapidly, our cells can't adjust as rapidly. When the pressure drops, our cells bulge outwards with too much interior pressure and press on nerve cells. Any spot where you have a soft tissue injury will hurt. Any spot where you have a bone protrusion will hurt.

Nice explanation! I remember working years ago, and saying things like, "my sinuses are killing me, the barometer must be dropping", and gotten laughed at. Anyone who has studied Anatomy and Physiology will know that our bodies are mostly water, I believe approximately 95%. So it only makes sense when the pressure differentiates that we who have old injuries, or have weak areas in our bodies, will feel it.

Did you also know that the pull of the moon will effect the water in your body, and your mood? Why do ya think all the loony tunes get even more wackier during a full moon? Hospital ER's dread the full moon, for good reason. Shootings increase, accidents increase, violence increases. All kinds of crazy things happen. Oops, OT.

Just trying to point out how the human body that is made up of mostly water, is effected by so many factors, not just the parametric pressure. So maybe if you are not feeling well on a clear and sunny day, OP, maybe there is a full moon.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

Yes that really is an awesome explanation. The whole thing with the pain, is in direct relation to injury/natural degeneration. It's a bit like the truss rod in a guitar (it's a metal rod that runs the length of the neck, inside the neck). If you remove the strings before putting the guitar on the plane, the neck will warp. If you keep the strings tight, the neck will bow, and you'll be totally out of tune when the guitar comes off at the destination. But if you detune the strings, but maintain a gentle tension in them, the guitar will be easily re-tuned, the neck will be curved exactly as it should be, and you'll have just the right action when you go to play again.

In the case of a guitar on the airplane, it is atmospheric pressure, and not the weather.

In the case of a person's spine, or joints, or cartilege, it's the barometric pressure. Your bone density and structure is changing minutely, bending and warping and expanding. And if you have an injury, all that change is going to be uncomfortable and achy.

The BEST thing you can do, if you ache with the pressure, is moderate weight-bearing exercise (lifting light weights or a can of soup in each hand, or walking, or both), and keeping well-hydrated (drink water). It won't make the aches go away but it might help make them show up less frequently.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Thank my father, the orthopedic surgeon. He explained it to me many years ago when I complained that I hurt so much more when it was going to rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness