Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

I have read in a bunch of places that moderate alcohol intake (1-2 drinks/day) is healthier than no alcohol intake at all. What are your opinions on the matter?

I am thinking of drinking 8 oz of red wine weekdays (Mon, Wed and Thu) and a beer a day on Fri and Sat, skipping alcohol on Sun and Thu. That adds up to 7 drinks a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:50 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have read in a bunch of places that moderate alcohol intake (1-2 drinks/day) is healthier than no alcohol intake at all. What are your opinions on the matter?

I am thinking of drinking 8 oz of red wine weekdays (Mon, Wed and Thu) and a beer a day on Fri and Sat, skipping alcohol on Sun and Thu. That adds up to 7 drinks a week.
I think it depends on what kind of alcohol one drinks moderately (for example I've heard red wine in moderation is good for the body, but I've never in my life heard that any amount of beer is good for the body. Darn! )

Old 10-22-2011, 08:55 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Twisted truth. Its not to be taken as advice to start drinking. There are other things you can do that are purely healthy to improve all your chances of better health in the future. It doesn't raise your health risks to eat healthy and exercise. But alcohol, even in moderation, can raise health risks and is classified that it "may" have other health benefits.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:

I thought you quit drinking. I think you are OBSESSED with alcohol. Might want to look into that.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
If you are an alcoholic, then there is NO amount of alcohol that is healthy, or safe, for you to consume.

It's no different from someone who is deathly allergic to strawberries. Strawberries are healthy foods, they're good for you. UNLESS you're allergic to them. If you're allergic to strawberries, even a single tiny little nibble off one strawberry is enough to kill you.

Approach the question of alcohol in the same way.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:12 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Twisted truth. Its not to be taken as advice to start drinking. There are other things you can do that are purely healthy to improve all your chances of better health in the future. It doesn't raise your health risks to eat healthy and exercise. But alcohol, even in moderation, can raise health risks and is classified that it "may" have other health benefits.
Agreed 100% - sorry - usually I hate "I agree" posts but Opsimathia's post deserves a second, or third, reading by anyone considering increasing alcohol consumption for health reasons.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:16 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,801 times
The amount you are posting is fine, and yes, healthy. There is no reason to feel guilty about alcohol in moderation. It's perfectly safe, and enjoyed by millions worldwide. It's a shame that asking a simple question brings out the addiction police

Be responsible, don't drink and drive, and enjoy yourself.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:35 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
I have read in a bunch of places that moderate alcohol intake (1-2 drinks/day) is healthier than no alcohol intake at all.
A bunch of places? Post a link. I thought that study was done on 14,000 middle aged white women in the 1970's. As the below article states, daily drinking for health benefits is probably overhyped.
Health | A drink a day for health? Forget it, research says | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 10-23-2011, 07:38 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
The amount you are posting is fine, and yes, healthy. There is no reason to feel guilty about alcohol in moderation. It's perfectly safe, and enjoyed by millions worldwide. It's a shame that asking a simple question brings out the addiction police

Be responsible, don't drink and drive, and enjoy yourself.
It's not a shame. The shame, is in someone posting a thread like this, knowing that some members won't realize that he's posted previously about his drinking problem.

People with drinking problems shouldn't drink, period. No amount of alcohol will be healthy for them, period.

It's like a pedophile asking if it's considered bad manners to talk to young children - without mentioning that, by the way, he's a pedophile.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's like a pedophile asking if it's considered bad manners to talk to young children - without mentioning that, by the way, he's a pedophile.
In my case I pray they never discover the key to good health is one potato chip a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness