Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 AM

433 posts, read 1,370,959 times

Advertisements

I am only 20 years old and balding. It's only noticeable from the back where I have an open bald spot. I even have my scalp showing in the front areas but it's not really as noticeable unless I look at myself closely in the mirror or if my hair is wet.

I've been putting up with so much crap, socially, since I was 12 years old, a little while after I just started high school. Putting up with bullies, backstabbers, lack of social skills really stressed me out all throughout high school. I was really unhappy. When I was 15 I noticed that when I would shampoo my hair, there would be hair coming out as I washed it. But there was no balding yet. So I just ignored it and let that hair coming out happen. I had a thought back then that it had to do with all the stress I was putting up with. The social problems and bullying were a much bigger stress than the actual schoolwork.

A year after high school, I started a trade course. I was 18 at the time and I met a then-great group of people in my class who I got along with. After a few months, the guys who I wanted to be friends with started picking on me for lame reasons, including one major EXTREME IDIOT S.O.B. who seriously got on my last nerve. Later on when the course was almost over, I was screaming at this guy in my head while coming home from school and while I was at home, wanting to hurt him sooo bad.

It was during this time that I noticed the balding, got a little worse a few months after I turned 19. My dad says it's it my genes. He's has a bald spot and his dad was also bald. Though he knows nothing about what I had gone through over the years.

I'm now 20 years old in a new course and job with people I get along with. I'm trying to make it work with them and I'll avoid them as much as I can if they start making any trouble for me. I don't need that kind of stress anymore. I'm also using a new shampoo, which doesn't remove any hair. There's one other thing I noticed with hair. After wearing anything on my head for even a short time like a hat or cap, my hair would become oily after taking it off. This has been going on for a few years and now no longer wear a cap during sunny summer days outside.

So what do you guys think about this? Does it sound like my hair problems come from stress, genes, or both? Should I have seen a doctor about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times
Both. And if I were you, I'd have a doctor look at the whole sociability problem. Your hair is the least of your worries. Or it should be. You're a very angry young man, and you feel you have reason to be - but you have a whole lot of years of life left in you and it'd be a shame if you spent most of it mad at the world.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 AM

37,125 posts, read 41,324,569 times
Listen to Anon!

The good news is that you probably have male pattern baldness. There is treatment for it.

Propecia & Rogaine For Treating Male Pattern Baldness

Your doc will make sure you do not have anything else going on and explain the risks and benefits to you.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 AM

30,565 posts, read 16,256,699 times
yup-and don't let the situation add to your stress.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 AM

574 posts, read 1,065,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
I am only 20 years old and balding. It's only noticeable from the back where I have an open bald spot. I even have my scalp showing in the front areas but it's not really as noticeable unless I look at myself closely in the mirror or if my hair is wet.

I've been putting up with so much crap, socially, since I was 12 years old, a little while after I just started high school. Putting up with bullies, backstabbers, lack of social skills really stressed me out all throughout high school. I was really unhappy. When I was 15 I noticed that when I would shampoo my hair, there would be hair coming out as I washed it. But there was no balding yet. So I just ignored it and let that hair coming out happen. I had a thought back then that it had to do with all the stress I was putting up with. The social problems and bullying were a much bigger stress than the actual schoolwork.

A year after high school, I started a trade course. I was 18 at the time and I met a then-great group of people in my class who I got along with. After a few months, the guys who I wanted to be friends with started picking on me for lame reasons, including one major EXTREME IDIOT S.O.B. who seriously got on my last nerve. Later on when the course was almost over, I was screaming at this guy in my head while coming home from school and while I was at home, wanting to hurt him sooo bad.

It was during this time that I noticed the balding, got a little worse a few months after I turned 19. My dad says it's it my genes. He's has a bald spot and his dad was also bald. Though he knows nothing about what I had gone through over the years.

I'm now 20 years old in a new course and job with people I get along with. I'm trying to make it work with them and I'll avoid them as much as I can if they start making any trouble for me. I don't need that kind of stress anymore. I'm also using a new shampoo, which doesn't remove any hair. There's one other thing I noticed with hair. After wearing anything on my head for even a short time like a hat or cap, my hair would become oily after taking it off. This has been going on for a few years and now no longer wear a cap during sunny summer days outside.

So what do you guys think about this? Does it sound like my hair problems come from stress, genes, or both? Should I have seen a doctor about it?
I think you should see a therapist. Keeping all that anger inside for all these years and never telling your family is a terrible burden to yourself. You need to start focusing on the good parts of your life and not be concerned about what others think or do. Big lesson that takes much practice.
Male pattern balding is usually hereditary on your mother's father's side. Stress also takes a toll on your entire body and can make you fat. I hope you will get some counseling and maybe run to alleviate your stress..yoga too.
Products for balding is sold at Costco and works best on the back part of the head.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,865,803 times
My ex, his father, and my son all started getting the widow's peak in their late teens, followed shortly thereafter by the spot at the top back of the head. it was genetic in their case. My son eventually went for the shaved look, which he keeps up twenty years later.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-06-2011 at 07:45 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,854,655 times
I see you as a guy who had a challenging youth and who is changing his life and for the better.
Your anger is natural and it's what you do with it that is key.
You don't want to repress it and you don't want to act it out ... either against yourself or against anyone else.
Learning how to re-channel your anger into something creative is optimum.
Writing in a journal or painting / drawing (as examples) can be really helpful.
It sounds as though your hair issue is both genetic and stress related.
You might want to try this product to keep your scalp free of debris and to keep the p.h. balanced.
Amazon.com: Jason Thin-to-Thick Healthy Hair System, Scalp Elixir, 2-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 3): Beauty
Also, keeping your body in good general health by eating well, getting enough sleep every night and getting some good exercise everyday can help to keep you feeling good about yourself (despite any potential hair loss) and keep your system balanced and strong.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 PM

37,125 posts, read 41,324,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I see you as a guy who had a challenging youth and who is changing his life and for the better.
Your anger is natural and it's what you do with it that is key.
You don't want to repress it and you don't want to act it out ... either against yourself or against anyone else.
Learning how to re-channel your anger into something creative is optimum.
Writing in a journal or painting / drawing (as examples) can be really helpful.
It sounds as though your hair issue is both genetic and stress related.
You might want to try this product to keep your scalp free of debris and to keep the p.h. balanced.
Amazon.com: Jason Thin-to-Thick Healthy Hair System, Scalp Elixir, 2-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 3): Beauty
Also, keeping your body in good general health by eating well, getting enough sleep every night and getting some good exercise everyday can help to keep you feeling good about yourself (despite any potential hair loss) and keep your system balanced and strong.

None of the ingredients in the Jason product will help male pattern baldness. For that much money a prescription product that has been shown to work would be a better choice.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Vitamin B complex does wonders for stress and I've heard that it helps with balding caused by stress. It's inexpensive and can't hurt and will help a lot of other health issues as well.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,854,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
None of the ingredients in the Jason product will help male pattern baldness. For that much money a prescription product that has been shown to work would be a better choice.
I recommended the Jason product (and i still do) to balance the scalp p.h. and to keep it free of debris / buildup and for the overall health of his scalp and for the hair that he has and will continue to have.

By the way o.p., it's normal to lose hair when showering and when brushing or combing.
But when what you are losing is not matched by new hair growth, there is a balding or thinning situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness