Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:29 PM

326 posts, read 703,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Drink it or put it on the sty?
Sorry southern - should have been more specific - no just taking it as a supplement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 PM

5 posts, read 49,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah the Bactrim worked for me. I didn't really demand it, I just went in and said "I've got this bad stye and I think I need some antibiotics".

I don't know why, but stress seems to trigger mine. I can get really stressed about something and then a couple days later have a stye.
I've got a sty on my bottom eyelid. I believe that it was caused when I played with my small dog and he hit my eye with his paw the way so I got infection inside the bottom of my eyelid. I had no scratches or any other signs of outside skin damage or an eye damage. Couple days later when I started to notice a little pain on touch, redness, itchiness, and later also swelling I went to an urgent care and got Bactrim DS (Sulfameth/Trimethoprim 800/160) for 10 days. This is my 7th day and I am still having about the same size of bump I had 5 days ago, it's still itchy and red. If symptoms won't get better I will see the doctor again. Attaching here a picture that I just took few min. ago. So it looks like Bactrim might not always help to treat a sty.
Attached Thumbnails
Sty on lower eyelid; Need advice-photo06122206.jpg  

Last edited by romeo166; 06-12-2013 at 11:53 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Ouch! That looks so painful.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
That needs to be lanced. My son had one on his upper eyelid and he went to an opthalmologist. It was lanced and drained, he had sone pills and care instructions and that was the end of it. Call today!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-23-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I have a small cyst on my bottom eyelid. when I had my eye exam a few days ago I asked about it. The doctor said, unless it bothers me, just leave it alone and in the meanwhile use hot compresses. If it doesn' go away they will remove it. I, at first thought it was a sty.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo166 View Post
I've got a sty on my bottom eyelid. I believe that it was caused when I played with my small dog and he hit my eye with his paw the way so I got infection inside the bottom of my eyelid. I had no scratches or any other signs of outside skin damage or an eye damage. Couple days later when I started to notice a little pain on touch, redness, itchiness, and later also swelling I went to an urgent care and got Bactrim DS (Sulfameth/Trimethoprim 800/160) for 10 days. This is my 7th day and I am still having about the same size of bump I had 5 days ago, it's still itchy and red. If symptoms won't get better I will see the doctor again. Attaching here a picture that I just took few min. ago. So it looks like Bactrim might not always help to treat a sty.
Just curious are you allergic to animals? Try taking zyrtec or clariten. I am too and I get rashes from time to time.

What Causes Styes? (with pictures) - mobile wiseGEEK

Old 06-14-2013, 11:12 PM

This is my 8th day. I noticed a tiny yellow spot in the middle of the bump (posted another pic.). I went to urgent care today again. The bump got a little bigger, but it's nonfluctuant, not ready for I+D (God knows what's that). I got a shot Rocephin 1mg and prescribed another type of antibiotics: doxycycline 100mg. The doctor said if not better in 2-3 days I might go to optometry/ophthalmology directly. Well, I'll wait 4 more days and if no evident improvements I'll go to optometry/ophthalmology directly. She said that Bactrim usually helps, but I might be resistant to it. And Raena77, no I am not allergic to animals. I used to live with several cats for many years, now I live with my dog for about 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Sty on lower eyelid; Need advice-photo06142221.jpg  

Last edited by romeo166; 06-14-2013 at 11:29 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 12:25 PM

This is my 17th day of having this sty. On the 9th day morning it started to ooze by itself. I went ahead and pushed the puzz out of the sty and cleaned it carefully with alcohol. I put a small bandage over it to protect it. As of today I am still having a bandage over it, keeping replacing it. The wound has healed tremendously, I still have there a scab, but it's healing. Still taking doxycycline, have couple more pills. This was a nasty sty. I think it will take at least 1 more month to completely get rid of any signs of the sty/scab. I didn't know that it might take almost 2 months to get rid of a sty. I guess if I started to take doxycycline first instead of bactrim it would be quicker. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:05 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Glad to hear it is finally getting better and healing up.

Let's hope you never get another one......but, at least if you do.....now you know to go to the doxycycline first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness