Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 03:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times

Advertisements

I need to take a drug test very soon for a new job. No problems as far as drugs, as I don't take any meds or drugs of any kind.

Just sprouted some alfalfa sprouts and also some chia sprouts - both from seeds from a health food store. Want to eat them on a salad.

Does anyone know if either of these sprouts can cause any false positives? If I wait until after the test, the sprouts will turn brown and rotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
The sprouts will be fine. Don't eat anything with poppy seeds on it. The test for the work place are not nearly as in depth as the drug test for people who have been in trouble and being tested. You should have no problems. Be sure to tell them of any vitimains or meds you may be taking including over the counter meds like for allergies.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times

Mr Peterman Opium - YouTube

Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Don't give the foods you eat much worry over this. If you don't do drugs you should pass with no problem. If there is a problem with the test a doctor at the lab will call you to discuss things you maybe doing that would affect the results and don't offer any information that isn't asked for. The labs know what can cause false positives and you can't fool them!

Old 02-05-2012, 06:54 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Poppy is definitely a culprit in false-positives. And in fact, it's not a false positive. It's an accurate positive, since opium is a poppy, by definition. The chemical constituents in opium that show up positive in a drug test, are present in all varieties of the poppy plant.

As an aside - don't eat lots of poppy seeds expecting to have a fun ride. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:57 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Poppy is definitely a culprit in false-positives. And in fact, it's not a false positive. It's an accurate positive, since opium is a poppy, by definition. The chemical constituents in opium that show up positive in a drug test, are present in all varieties of the poppy plant.

As an aside - don't eat lots of poppy seeds expecting to have a fun ride. Not. Gonna. Happen.
Opium is the dried latex from the delicious Papaver Somniferum plant ( opium poppy ).

Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
There's a book written by Abby "Steal This Book" Hoffman entitled "Steal This Urine Test" and in is a table showing a bunch of foods and medicines that cross reference for illegal drugs. I think the purpose of the table is that if you test positive you could say it was a false positive due to eating one of the foods on the chart....it might buy you more time.

Amazon.com: Steal This Urine Test: Fighting Drug Hysteria in America (9780140104004): Abbie Hoffman, Jonathan Silvers: Books

How to pass urine test?!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:38 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
OP Here....

I had 1/4 of a poppy seed lemon muffin about 3-4 days ago. I didn't like it, so didn't eat that much of it. It was speckled with lots of black seeds inside and out.

Will the seeds be out of my system when I take the test? It looks like the test will be taken 2 days from now...so it would be 5-6 days after eating the poppy seed muffin.

I found out it is a 9 panel urine drug test...one that tests for everything...a bit more things are checked than the standard test.

They also test for masking agents. Wonder if there are any foods that mimic masking agents that would cause a positive. Don't they flunk you if you test positive for masking agents? Had some horseradish today. Hope that doesn't cause issues.

Woudn't that be awful, eat some kind of food and end up flunking over food when you don't even touch drugs. I don't take any drugs, no prescription of any kind, no OTC or any illegal stuff either. Don't even drink alcohol or smoke. Oh, I did just use an antibiotic ointment on a skin abrasion.

Live a very clean life, but I worry over these tests finding some kind of odd food causing an issue. Geeze, I gargled with some mouth wash this morning and worried about it causing issues with the test. I am even going to stop drinking green tea..no more until after the test which is 2 days from now.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
All you need to do is TELL them in advance that you ate part of a poppy seed muffin. If you have nothing to hide, then you don't have to worry about hiding anything. Just let them know, and if your accounting of the muffin coincides with the amount of anything they find in the test, then there won't be any problem at all.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,237 times
An automated HPLC analysis will show a positive for narcotics if you have eaten poppy seeds recently. A human operator can look at the chromatogram and tell fairly easily that it is a poppy seed false positive. To cover their butt, though, they will possibly call you back to take a more thorough test.

A HPLC (High performance liquid chromatography)analysis is pretty simple. They take a fluid sample, dilute it, and push it through a stainless steel tube (column) that is filled with a porous material with very high pressure. Every chemical species sticks to the column differently, so the amount of time it takes for the substance to come out is characteristic for each chemical compound. The retention times for many illicit substances are similar to some everyday ones, so for a given set of conditions, a false positive is not uncommmon. If the conditions are changed, the retention times can sometimes be resolved. Without knowing the exact method being used (someone in the industry could probably make a pretty educated guess), it is difficult to say what interferes with what.

A more thorough and expensive analysis is called LC-MS (liquid chromatography mass spectrometry). This is similar to HPLC except that the chemical identity of each retained substance is precisely determined. This analysis is done for pro athletes, court cases, and other instances where the correct result is vital. A LC-MS will be able to distinguish between poppy seeds and a narcotic based on the ratios of the different metabolites of the opiates and their half lives within the body, as well as the other indicators common to prescription drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness